Mickey's Toontown to be Reimagined

Well, darn. We usually go to WDW and have our one-and-done DLR trip scheduled for September 2022. If this area is closed, what will we really be missing? Two adults, no kids, but we’re kids-at-heart. I’m OK missing MMRR because we’ll be able to do that at WDW (it wasn’t open yet last time we were there).

1 Like

Honestly, Toontown is skippable, IMO. The only rides you’d be missing are Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin (which is unique and cute, but doesn’t have a true Disney feel - it’s kind of an oddball ride that caters mostly to fans of the film) and Gadget’s Go-Coaster (which is a kiddie coaster akin to Barnstormer in MK).

The other attractions are Minnie and Mickey’s houses, which are glorified meet and greets, albeit a cute setting; Donald’s Boat; Goofy’s Bounce House; and the defunct ball pit that once was Chip and Dale’s treehouse. These are all basically variations on a McDonald’s PlayPlace. Kids love them, but it’s really nothing worth worrying over if you’re an adult. They’ve all been stripped down over the years and condemned to the point that it’s hard to justify spending time there even if you have young children.

1 Like

The video I saw said that Rodger Rabbit will stay-ish, in some form to be announced soon. Probably at D23.

2 Likes

“Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin will get a new plot twist that throws Jessica Rabbit into the lead roll as a private eye determined to stamp out a Toontown crime wave as part of the reimagining of the land.”

OC Register

3 Likes

One other point I’m not sure was mentioned.

Mickey’s Toontown will be transformed into a “vibrant symphony of sights, sounds, and sensations,” according to D’Amaro.

They seem to be going ALL in on this Mickey redesign. Toon Town always felt (to me) as if I were walking into a comic strip. It was whimsical and fun. These new designs for the characters feel off. Like 72 hours of no sleep and waaaaaay to much coffee type of creepy.

I know the background is similar, so at least there’s that. Plus, cost effective for the redesign eithought having to change everything.

3 Likes

We are fans of Roger Rabbit, but it sounds like we won’t be missing much of what’s currently there. I guess the musing was more along the lines of should we wait until the new area reopens.

2 Likes

I’m sure it will be cool, and if you really want to see it and can wait a year for your “once-in-a-lifetime” trip, it wouldn’t hurt. But there will probably be something coming out the following year that will be even better (Avengers Campus Quinjet ride?). So personally I wouldn’t wait just for Toontown. Maybe once-in-a-lifetime will turn into twice in several years …

2 Likes

It’s not a “major” land, and it is definitely focused on children, but as a (senior) adult, I find the area to be just plain fun. Although it seems not a popular opinion, I thing RRCS is one of - if not the - best “cartoon-to-attraction” dark rides that Disney has created in either US park (I have not been on MMR yet). I would be very sad to see it go.

For those not familiar with it

No video really does a ride justice. The especially fun part of the ride is that you can turn the cars, teacup style, to see the craziness that’s going on all around you. Obviously, you’ll catch more of the references if you’ve seen the movie (which I highly recommend) but even if you don’t, it’s just a few minutes of craziness and fun.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Is it open yet?

2 Likes

It opens January 26th I believe.

2 Likes