Mickey's Toontown to be Reimagined

2 Likes

Just in time for Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse’s birthday this week, we have some exciting news to share about the Disneyland Resort!

An ambitious reimagining of Mickey’s Toontown in Disneyland park will debut in early 2023, alongside the new attraction, Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway. This news was shared today at the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA) Expo by Chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products, Josh D’Amaro.

Building on the legacy of Mickey’s Toontown, Imagineers are working to create some all-new experiences so families and young children can have more opportunities to play together inside Disneyland park. The beloved Mickey’s Toontown will transform into a vibrant symphony of sights, sounds, and sensations. Focusing on today’s families with young children, Mickey’s Toontown will feature new play experiences, as well as open, grassy play spaces for everyone to unplug. The land will have landscaping for both spontaneous family play and parental relaxation.

“We are so excited to leverage Disney’s powerful brand, develop new stories and share even more magical experiences with our guests,” said D’Amaro. “The newly reimagined Mickey’s Toontown will be a welcoming place where families and younger guests can connect and play together in fun new ways.”

Even with a greener and more spacious Mickey’s Toontown, the land will offer more play activities and attractions than ever before. From active play to tactile play, new experiences will let children play, slide, spin, splash, touch and listen!

One of the new areas coming to Mickey’s Toontown will be CenTOONial Park, the first space guests will see when they enter. This natural space will be anchored by two interactive play experiences.

At the center of CenTOONial Park will be a fountain, designed for play, which will also become a center icon for Mickey’s Toontown. As its base, water tables will invite guests to play with the water and have a sensory experience. At night, the fountain will be brought to life in a unique spectacle.

A nearby dreaming tree will be inspired by the tree a young Walt Disney would daydream under in his hometown. Sculpted tree roots will provide an opportunity for children to play, crawl and explore, and undulating topography will offer rolling hills and a place to sit and dream.

In addition to reopening in 2023 with the new, family-friendly and adventurous Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway, Mickey’s Toontown will still be home to many beloved characters including Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Goofy, Donald Duck and more!

Mickey’s Toontown will close in March of 2022 to begin creating these all-new experiences. We will have lots more detail to share with you in the future, so stay TOONED to the Disney Parks Blog for updates!

4 Likes

Is there any other example of an open, grassy area in a Disney resort or theme park? I love it, but I imagine it would have to be artificial turf or they’ll have to re-sod it every night.

3 Likes

Yes! In Epcot along the pathway from Imagination Pavilion to Refreshment Port there is some green space that is often used in just this way, especially when there isn’t a festival on (which I know is rare)

And there’s also this little area near Test Track

But generally not much to be had.

PS Epcot FW is all re-labeled with post-project names… :thinking:

2 Likes

The new EPCOT neighborhoods were “officially” launched already several weeks ago.

Right, I was just noting that they are all relabeled, even as there is still construction ongoing. It seems like it could be a smidge confusing if you didn’t know that? But maybe with the construction walls still up it’s a null issue

1 Like

Oh, I see.

Yeah. I suspect, regardless, people will continue calling the new neighborhoods “Future World” for a few years. :slight_smile:

Back on topic, it seems like at WDW, the land analogous to this at MK has been rethemed several times. It has always felt somewhat afterthoughtish compared to the rest of the park. But, at DL, it is sounding like it might become a more fitting theme.

2 Likes

What I find curious is the omission of the future of Roger Rabbit’s Cartoon Spin… :thinking:

Is it in the artwork?? I’m squinting to see…

2 Likes

Cartoon Spin and Go Coaster aren’t mentioned but both appear in the concept art. Not sure about Chip 'n Dale Treehouse though.

1 Like

Yeah… I can see Gadget now that I really examine at the corner of the art…

Is this RRCS?

1 Like

This is the area where Roger Rabbit is now.

1 Like

RRCS is located in the lower right corner. But looking at that building again, it is a little different. Now I’m second guessing…

1 Like

Also for those who don’t know, I’ve circled the El Capitan theater (entrance to MMRR) and drew a box around the approximate backstage location of the new MMRR show building.

Thanks! As you know I haven’t been to DLR yet.

I’m a big fan of Roger Rabbit and will be really sad if the only presence of the film is wiped out in the US. (I know it’s in Japan still)

I never though Disney should’ve pushed for him to be the park icon, but he’s such a great character that I want him in there somewhere.

3 Likes

I just played spot the differences between those two pics and I do not see any differences

1 Like

It does look a bit different. I think they’ll just change out some of the facades though.

As you can see - there’s plenty of room for the Roger Rabbit ride even with MMRR squeezed back there, and there isn’t really room for anything else in that space, so I think they’ll keep the ride. If it ain’t broke …

(Updated image with red outline for MMRR and blue for RRCS.)

1 Like

I would love a retheming of this ride! I … dislike Roger Rabbit. And who even knows who that is anymore! The ride itself is fine, but bring on something new!

1 Like

Construction on MMRR from last month.

1 Like

I love Toontown! It is so whimsical and cute. But a larger area, especially a free play area for the kids would be a bonus. I wish they would let us go back into the characters’ homes.

DLR is so compact already! More things will probably mean more crowds.

1 Like

I prefer to think of it as more space for crowds to go. :slight_smile:

2 Likes