Memes and Jokes (Part 1)

Yes. On Star Trek, the first to die on an away team after beaming down are those wearing red shirts.

5 Likes

10 Likes

Not a meme but really made me laugh - that language barrier :joy:

12 Likes

7 Likes

Printing off worksheets for DD6 this morning, I came across this one.
Is it supposed to be “My dad is a tool?”

10 Likes

Ahhhhhh Father’s day… and a passive aggressive card :laughing:

3 Likes

Wait, so is “hooker” a position in rugby? So the headline should say that the player was charged, not a prostitute? Did the offense have anything to do with prostitution? Just want to make sure I’m getting it.

3 Likes

9 Likes

Yes hooker is the position and the guy charged is the hooker for Leicester Tigers. No prostitution of any kind involved! It was about a massive fight on the pitch after a game. The actual report refers to him as a prostitute all the way through :joy:

8 Likes

In America, calling someone a prostitute is more respectable than calling them a hooker. So, clearly this reporter was trying to be polite. Except for the whole not knowing what they didn’t know!

Watch out when they go to arrest the pitcher. Those water pouring vessels are dangerous!

4 Likes

You’d assume a sports writer might know that there are no prostitutes on a rugby team though!

4 Likes

I’m guessing the first and last options are “Hammered” and “Screwed”.

8 Likes

:rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

How sure are you of that, exactly? :wink:

6 Likes

hahaha… I didn’t want to say anything :wink:

1 Like

I have no idea if this played a role, but there are many news services in the US that automatically write stories using algorithms and AI so that the story can be released almost instantly when it happens. This would include things like weather or results of sports games, where the body of the story is going to be the same, but just a few key facts will change. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a similar bot that is “translating” UK news stories into American English, and it just didn’t go through quality checks (or the quality checker didn’t notice anything amiss, even if they knew what a hooker referred to in British English). Just speculating.

4 Likes

Well I haven’t checked them all.

2 Likes

That would absolutely make sense.

3 Likes

I just think it’s incredibly classy that Leicester even provided a uniform.

2 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like