Memes and Jokes (Part 1)

Reminds me of this :joy:

13 Likes

This is because he types in a British accent.

8 Likes

He does! Not sure how he pulls it off but I can’t read his posts any other way.

6 Likes

That’s so funny!! I have assigned many of you voices that I hear while reading your posts. They may or may not be accurate. The only voice I’ve ever actually heard is @Shanneepantslovesdisney. Everyone else’s is just assumed. :rofl:

9 Likes

Just fyi you talk like Adele in my head :joy:

6 Likes

What?? Why??!!
You know I’m Scottish, right?? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

6 Likes

You should know darn well we silly Americans can’t tell the difference in your accents. You’re all lumped into “British accent” except the Irish bc wtf are they even saying? :joy::joy::joy:

7 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
You’d be much more likely to understand Adele than me!
I lived in England for 18 months and became slightly coherent, but I’ve since lost all that refinement! :laughing:

6 Likes

:joy: I’ll just politely smile and nod along until I recognize a word and then run a tangent on that. Much like with some of my dad’s friends.

Craig Ferguson is the only real Scottish person I can even think of. Well and Alan Cumming, but he pulls his voice a lot.

4 Likes

Scottish is tough. But even British can be unintelligible to Americans. I was at Heathrow several years ago about to board my flight, and the gate attendant said to me, while pointing to someone in line at the next gate over, “That’s Sharon Osbourne!” And I, having no idea what he said (I think it was a Cockney accent or similar), was like, “Who?!” And he said, “Have you seen The X-Factor?” Which to me sounded like something about an Extractor. And I was like, “No.” And he said, “I don’t believe it.”

I was still visibly confused and he was dumbfounded that I had no idea who Sharon Osbourne was, not realizing that I hadn’t understood a word he said. Only after running it over in my head many times and doing some research did I later piece together what he was saying. :rofl:

8 Likes

I’m laughing so much!! :rofl:

4 Likes

I’m just picturing you poor thing at the airport worrying about why someone is talking about extraction! :scream::laughing:

5 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

I doubt that. Scottish accents are the best.

4 Likes

Oh! I am sure that was quite the treat

3 Likes

I grew up with a friend who was Scottish, so I can handle that one. I also have a friend who is Irish. He grew up in the States, so no problem with him, but his dad was really hard to understand for anything but swearing.

4 Likes

It was that podcast interview. Now I know how to ‘hear’ your posts :laughing:

4 Likes

That is funny!

2 Likes

images (10)

Now I just picture that this is your friends dad! :rofl:

5 Likes

I had a friend from Scotland once but I didn’t know it because he had lived in America for a long time before I met him and perfected his American accent. When I found out he was from Scotland, I asked him to speak with a Scottish accent and it was impossible to understand what he was saying - like it was a different language. It wasn’t like Professor McGonnagal or something you hear in an American movie.

@Shmebulock is what I experienced with my friend typical? Do Scottish people adjust their accent to be more understandable when talking to English / Americans?

4 Likes