Mears Connect has arrived

I’m wondering how the check-in process will be at off hours? I just got back from a trip to Universal and used their shuttle service ($39 round trip) and it was an absolute pain off hours. I flew after work and landed at almost 11pm, and after collecting my bag had to wait on hold for 15 minutes to tell them to dispatch the shuttle and then another 15 minutes for the shuttle to even arrive. (Plus I waited outside at the spot they told me, and as a solo woman traveler it was a bit sketchy… very different from the indoor waiting areas that DME used). I’d probably use Mears Connect because I don’t love the idea of taking an Uber or Lyft alone at midnight, but hopefully they have a better system for late arrivals.

And Quicksilver offers a 3-trip option:

1. MCO to hotel
  2. Disney/Universal hotel transfer
  3. hotel to MCO
1 Like

I didn’t actually click through because I just wanted to see the prices snd I got them on that page. It’s fixed now anyway.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, what makes you feel comfortable with a bus but not a plane?

I am a retired child passenger safety technician (car seat tech) and volunteeered as one for well over a decade before letting my certification lapse a few years ago. We learned a ton about crash dynamics and the best ways for children to travel in a variety of vehicles.

Today’s buses are designed with high seat backs that allow for compartmentalization. They protect the passengers that are seated (correctly) during crash situations. They also generally don’t have seat belts (another conversation…there are pros and cons for this) and there isn’t a way to install a car seat on a bus w/o them. When we rode the bus with our kids when they were younger (and normally riding in car seats) we put thing in the window seat and helped them stay seated for the entire trip.

Both the FAA and NHTSA recommend using car seats for all children flying on airplanes. Just like in a vehicle on the ground, the airplane’s seat belt is designed for an adult, and doesn’t fit a child properly. The car seat allows a correct “seat belt” fit and keeps the child safe during take offs and landings, as well as during severe turbulance. As long as my kids were harnessed in seats in our vehicles at home, they flew with their car seats when we flew on airplanes.

FWIW, on our flights to and from MCO my kids were generally the only ones in car seats (they are 15yo and 20yo now…so a while ago)…and they were usually the only ones that slept through their flights! :sleeping: The hum of the engines and sitting in their comfy seats knocked them right out!

6 Likes

I have always used car seats on planes. Well, except for the last flight to MCO when my husband and I got separated and the flight attendant insisted that my husband couldn’t bring the car seat on board and he complied. By the time I found out it was too late and the car seat had already been taken below. I was very upset. Thankfully everything turned out fine.

I avoid the buses whenever possible because of the car seat thing (we used the internal buses once when going to Mickey’s Backyard BBQ at Ft. Wilderness). I just don’t feel comfortable having my kids loose in there. So I was curious what it was that made you feel comfortable with the buses.

3 Likes

I’ll be using Mears Connect. I have a 5yo, 2yo, and 3mo that need car seats and flying with them is a giant hassle when also trying to wrangle three kids.

An Uber/LYFT probably makes more sense for those without car seats, though.

1 Like

I signed up but got no email

The premium service doesn’t make any sense unless wheelchair or car seats. $200 for 4 people? You can get an actual limo for that, and do shopping in route.

1 Like

Agree. And since the bus is also wheelchair accessible, it’ll be the bus for us.

Also, I just got the email from Mears, lol.

1 Like

With driving, you also won’t have to worry about your flight being cancelled, or changed to something you wouldn’t want.

1 Like

Yes, which was something that happened this past trip.

1 Like

And yet we keep going, and paying.

And until we stop, they won’t either

5 Likes

They aren’t comfortable with Uber/Lyft for any number of reasons
They have littles who need car seats
They need handicap services/wheelchair accessible.
They like a well known entity vs a random driver.

2 Likes

Can you share more about why?
Not challenging, just looking to understand.

Correction: just earlier this morning, into junk mail

1 Like

If I have to pay for a service I may as well choose the one that works best with my schedule. I may use it on arrival, but for departure I’ll probably always pay the extra for a ride share that gives me an extra 90 minutes in my day.

4 Likes

That makes sense!

1 Like

Sorry, maybe this was covered already but will this service also pick up your baggage and deliver it to your hotel on property like they do now?

With this gone, it’s just another reason not to stay on property.