Meandering discussion including but not limited to Disney shows, child behavior, speech therapy, song lyrics, autoimmune disorders, peanut butter substitutes, hygiene, and wine

Yep. Often pronounced ‘are kid’

1 Like

Well I did graduate from school the year Clueless came out. As if, whatever …, :slight_smile:

No worries, I have very low expectations for WDW theater but I go to lots of other theater and tend to just apply the same standards for me and my family for them - to be quiet and respect the performers.

I’m sorry they were rude to you, I do try to understand!

2 Likes

I went to Rossini’s William Tell, which I accept it is long opera, and someone in front of me pulled out Ikea crackers and spreadable cheese and started making a sandwich ( or whatever you call cheese spread on a cracker😕) and I often want to berate the quality street crinklers at the theatre … but I am British, so I ‘tut’. Musicals are the worst, I find.

1 Like

That’s terrible! And to think that if I go to a MOVIE THEATER, I always try to have my food done before the actual film starts for fear the noise with bother folks!

1 Like

At the frigging OPERA ??? To think that the only time I went to the opera I was all self-conscious because I wasn’t wearing a tux… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Now are we talking regular movie theater or one of those dine in ones where they have waiters? :smile:

1 Like

Oh, we don’t have those in Wales.

2 Likes

I have never seen that either !

1 Like

Ah, the AMC…my favorite theater! There’s one in Disney Springs if you ever get the chance. We saw our first Dine In movie there and now I drive 40 minutes to the one closest to my house - it’s the only place I’ll see a movie!

2 Likes

We are a musical bunch in Wales. We have a Welsh National Opera company, which is fabulous and heavily subsidised by the Welsh government . The tickets are cheap…about £10 for the cheapest seats, (it costs about £12 for a cinema ticket) and students, the under 30s and over 60s get half price tickets. This is where they perform.

The Welsh part of the writing reads ‘Creu Gwir fel gwydr o ffwrnais awen’ , which translates to “Creating truth like glass from the furnace of inspiration”. The English part reads ‘In These Stones Horizons Sing’ .

I hope that I am not translating too loudly. :wink:

2 Likes

I agree that parents need to teach their children to behave in public. I wanted to share something interesting that I’ve noticed when we are in Spain and in Latin America. In those countries, people are much, much more tolerant of children. People tend to take their children with them when they go out to dinner (which tends to be 10 pm - midnight), the theater, or walking around late at night, and no one looks askance at the kids or the parents for doing so. When we’ve been in a restaurant or public space and my kids are being obnoxious or just unaware that they are sharing the space with others who might not appreciate their noise, energy, loud voices, etc. and I scold them and tell them to be conscientious of others, I always get at least one stranger who tells me they are fine and that they are children, and that’s how kids are. Then I feel like a mean, uptight mom.

You would think given this attitude, children would be running wild and misbehaving everywhere, but since their kids are used to being out in public at restaurants, theaters, where ever their parents are, they are for the most part subdued and behaving like civilized human beings.

6 Likes

LOL

That’s pretty cool. Here the opera is very expensive. I bought 2 really good tickets (5th row !) for my wife’s 35st birthday and it was Rossini’s barber of Seville and we liked the music a lot but the crowd was very snotty and stuffy, we felt a bit uncomfortable.

I am much more used to death metal shows in shady bars hahaha !!!

3 Likes

Yes, very true !!! I have also experienced that several times in Spain and in Cuba. Also, at WDW, a Mexican family was incredibly nice to us in the bus after a long day at the park (it was about 9 PM). My son was half asleep in my arms and I was standing and the father made his 18 years old son give me his seat and then he insisted that I let my son lay down with part of his legs on him so that he could be comfy !!!

5 Likes

They’re amazing. I won’t even go to a “regular” theater anymore.

3 Likes

Love that! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Interesting! So we could just let the children run amok! (I really just wanted to say amok, amok, amok!)

Well actually one does this. Hire a nanny from birth, nursery school/kindergarten from 3 (plus nanny) , boarding school at 7, University at 17/18…child returns home, well mannered, charming and civilized at circa 21. So then one only has to be be the disciplinarian parent during school holidays, but then it’s the holidays, so really anything goes…the parental mantra being, in the words of Arthur Ransome, ‘better drowned than duffers, if
not duffers won’t drown’. Or is this just a British thing? :wink:

1 Like

Regular. Never been to a dine-in. (Brings new meaning to the phrase “dinner theater” though!)

I usually get Goobers when I go to the theater. They are noisy in the box. So I usually just have them all consumed before the previews are over.

That’s PROBABLY not the lesson to be learned…but you’re right…amok is rather a fun word to say, ain’t it?

? Please translate…quietly now. :wink:

1 Like