Meandering discussion including but not limited to Disney shows, child behavior, speech therapy, song lyrics, autoimmune disorders, peanut butter substitutes, hygiene, and wine

In Wales people pronounce it a-muck. I think this works…sort of act and consequence all in one.

1 Like

I guess name stems from a sourthern term used for peanuts, and ultimately comes from an African origin.

1 Like

…S’ok, @kjsprouse_577366, I got the reference. :wink:

understoodthatreference

2 Likes

Well, well. Here they are just called chocolate covered peanuts.

1 Like

The brand of chocolate covered peanuts sold in MOST movie theaters around here are Goobers, so that’s what I call them. Other chocolate covered peanuts aren’t as good, though. One theater sold a different brand, and they were entirely disappointing. Goobers have the perfect balance of chocolate and peanut. Others tend to be overly chocolate heavy (which can be bad, particularly when the chocolate isn’t the finest quality).

Anyhow, since half of my household is deathly allergic to peanuts, eating them at the movie theater when I’m out with my wife is one of the few times I get to enjoy them without fear of killing my kids! :wink:

1 Like

I love kids. As an OB doc, without them I’d be out of a job- I guess it would be accurate to say that I wouldn’t even BE at WDW without them.

Although, when I’m taking care of them they are very, very quiet. :rofl:

When they start making noise I just hand them off to someone else.

7 Likes

:joy:

3 Likes

This thread kind of blew up and I wasn’t able to catch up with all the posts. I’m not sure if this point was made.

I wonder if the rude response would have been different had the parents not been perceived as complicit in the distraction. I do not believe the response was appropriate, that hostility rarely is. I just wonder in the boiling point was reached not because the child was speaking (that happens everywhere) but that from where they were sitting the parents seemed to encourage the behavior. Of course they weren’t encouraging it, but others could only hear the parents talking back to a child through the show. By translating for the child, it did not appear to them that the parents were doing their best to make “others” experience as positive as they were definitely trying to make their child’s. With the language difference, I could see how the parents might have come off as the type that want their child happy no matter who else they frustrate.

Again, the response was not appropriate, but their reason for feeling that way just might have been. I’m trying to place myself in everyone’s shoes. I think everyone could have handled it better (some much better).

I know it’s easy to get defensive when someone says you could have handled it better too, but nobody is perfect. Learning opportunities abound.

4 Likes

No, it meandered gently through the path of least resistance, like a mountain stream in spring☺.

2 Likes

For could get a nasty infection doing this!:wink:

2 Likes

You say as you type the 189th post in less than 24 hours in a thread about a child at a show.

3 Likes

Oh…I have a stalker :wink:.

2 Likes

It has remained amazingly civil!

3 Likes

Yes. I was referring to total posts in a short time. Not the level of hostility. Very civil, just wasn’t able to read through it due to pure volume.

1 Like

Ah, yes. I suppose “meandered” isn’t necessarily the best metaphorical language in such a case, is it?

Ha, that went over your head. I wasn’t referring to your 189th post. I have no idea who you are. You typed the 189th post in this thread was my comment. I was responding to your attempt to correct my comment that this thread “blew up” when I was referring to volume.

Sorry to confuse.

1 Like

We could have had this:

But instead, we had this:

2 Likes

I am a very nice old lady from Wales. …bored in retirement and rather partial to mischief, particularly when very bored. :grinning:

5 Likes

Causing the thread to meander further but here is my amok or amuck reference that I think @Randall1028 got. My favorite Halloween movie Hocus Pocus!

4 Likes

Really, now? See. I thought you were a Dragon. Now I’m disappointed.

ETA: Wait a minute. I’ve seen a movie like this. Maleficent?

3 Likes