Meandering discussion including but not limited to Disney shows, child behavior, speech therapy, song lyrics, autoimmune disorders, peanut butter substitutes, hygiene, and wine

Does that look like a fierce Dragon to you?

Hard to say. On my computer screen, you’re an itty, bitty dragon. Let me zoom in more…

3 Likes

Well that St George is a bit of a tyrant! :hushed:

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Agreed. The first thing I said when the lady started the whole thing was that we were translating for our son. She didn’t care. :frowning:

1 Like

Yes. I think the response was predetermined even before you said a word to them. They were getting it out and not listening.

1 Like

Your face looks like a poo.

I grew up on a peanut farm in the Deep South. We just called them peanuts. The first time I can recall hearing peanuts referred to as goobers was on an episode of MASH when I was a kid (or child, for those unusually preoccupied with goats). Fun peanut fact, although peanuts came to North America by way of Africa, they were imported to Africa from South America.

Bottom line? Call them what you like, just eat more peanuts.

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

:joy: Goats, sheep. …same difference. :wink:

1 Like

Wish we could. I LOVE peanut butter. But ever since our first child was diagnosed anaphylactic to peanuts (and tree nuts, among other things) at age 1, peanuts are no longer allowed in our house. For me, I had to go through a time of mourning. In fact, I would buy a huge jar of peanut butter and leave it at work so that I could just bring bread and make myself a sandwich there. Then my third son was diagnosed with food allergies (including peanuts) and then my daughter. My second son has no allergies, and our DS8 is allergic to tree nuts (but ironically, NOT peanuts).

I’ve learned to substitute peanut butter for almond butter or sunbutter in most things now.

1 Like

I learned just yesterday that some people dump their box of Goobers onto their popcorn in order to eat it more quietly. Plus then it all mixes together in apparently a tasty way. You’d really need napkins though!

The start of the discussion was whether anyone still buys Sno-Caps at the movies. I was surprised at how many people do.

Ew! What a way to ruin a perfectly good chocolate covered peanut! (Okay. I don’t really like popcorn, so there’s that.)

I grew up as far from the South as you can get (and be in the U.S.) but I vaguely remember a folk song about eating goober peas.

That’s fascinating… I never knew that was “a thing”, but it really resonates with me. I can’t watch TV while people are talking and I can’t stand it when my kids are both watching different shows on their tablets at the same time because it gives me a headache. Does that condition have a name I can research?

My sincere sympathies to you and your family. Not just for having to avoid peanuts, but for the monumental effort that must require (peanuts and peanut derivatives are nearly as prolific as wheat and dairy). I’ve never understood the association between tree nut allergies and peanut allergies since peanuts are not nuts and don’t grow on trees.

1 Like

I didn’t know this. This site is educational.

3 Likes

They are legumes. I don’t know how they grow though.

2 Likes

Yes you would be amazed by the things I’ve learned while loitering around this site!

3 Likes

They aren’t the same, at all. Plenty of folks are allergic to one versus the other. Like my DS8.

In our family, the ones allergic to peanuts are anaphylactic to them. But the tree nut allergies, while severe, don’t lead to anaphylaxis. (At least, they haven’t…not that we’re testing it!)

Fortunately, MOST people allergic to tree nuts are NOT allergic to almonds, so that’s our go-to nut now.

Initially, it was hard. But now, I’m able to cook/bake pretty much ANYTHING for any food allergy. My oldest was, for a time, also allergic to wheat and soy, but he outgrew that by the time he was three. My third son was anaphylactic to milk, in addition to the nuts, until he was about 14 when he FINALLY outgrew that. (Milk is interesting, because there are three time periods when you are likely to outgrow it…unfortunately for him, it lasted all the way until puberty!)

Our daughter-in-law had a wheat allergy, and her father is celiac, so I learned to also bake gluten free. (Our daughter-in-law has since been confirmed to have outgrown her wheat allergy, which is nice for our family meals together!) Then our second son briefly dated this girl who has celiac, so I had to bake gluten free again. (Fortunately, that relationship didn’t last, for several reasons!)

So, if you ever need an allergy-friendly meal or just dessert, I’m your man! I’ve got you covered.

4 Likes