Meandering discussion including but not limited to Disney shows, child behavior, speech therapy, song lyrics, autoimmune disorders, peanut butter substitutes, hygiene, and wine

Totally off topic now, but Burl Ives and Johnny Cash describe Goober peas in this way:

3 Likes

Correct. In fact, an additional interesting fact is a lot of folks who are allergic to peanuts are also sensitive or allergic to actual peas (the green variety) because they are related. This explains why, for a long time, my son would end up with a stomach ache if he ate anything with peas in it. (And we just thought he was avoiding eating green things!)

3 Likes

Correct. The peanut has more in common with the chickpea and lentil than with the walnut and pecan. Peanuts grow underground from the roots of a vine, similar to potatoes.

2 Likes

I’m not a neurologist, but I think it’s a type of auditory processing disorder having to do with auditory filters. I’m the exact opposite- if I’m reading, or sometimes even thinking really hard, a siren could go off next to me and I wouldn’t notice. It drives my husband nuts- it’s sometimes impossible for him to get my attention unless he’s close enough to tap my shoulder etc. In my case it’s not just auditory- I missed an appointment the other day- I remember looking at the clock but it didn’t sink in. I knew I had an appointment and I checked the time- but it didn’t even make it into my short-term memory.

One time, though I went to Costco after I took too much cough syrup (the measuring cups had gotten switched between two different brands) and it was like I had super powers!!! I could hear EVERYTHING from VERY FAR AWAY. I remember hearing a couple arguing at the end of the aisle and a kid asking for a toy. It was really weird. It wasn’t that it was too loud, only that nothing was filtered out. Kinda cool but I wouldn’t want to live that way. I finally went out to the car where it was quiet!

2 Likes

So now I do know! I wouldn’t have guessed that.

1 Like

I’m like that when I’m reading especially. It also drives my DH mad, he thinks I’m ignoring him though after 25 years he should have got it by now.

1 Like

For example, right now as I’m typing this, I’m simultaneously hearing (unable to filter out) the sound of the heating system, a couple people having conversations in the background about 50 ft away, the clicking of a person as they walk as their badge slaps their thigh, another speaker phone that’s about 100 ft away, and the clicking of my own keyboard as I type.

I just thought this was how everyone lived until after my son was diagnosed!

3 Likes

Absolutely, that’s when it’s the worst. Reading involves a fair amount of imagination and visualization, things just get tuned out. If I’m watching TV it’s much easier to talk to me. But I’ll space out even when I’m not reading. I’m one of those people who will be driving to work and can’t remember how I got there. I raked the whole lawn yesterday and all I remember is thinking about GK Chesterton and veganism (don’t ask me how those two go together, you wouldn’t want to know)! But the lawn looks great so I know I did it!:joy:

4 Likes

I had a wheat allergy as a kid and my brother was allergic to milk, so I really feel for my mother. You are so right that it’s a lot of work!

1 Like

Doesn’t everyone drive to work and not remember the journey?!

4 Likes

I don’t know, all I know is if I was asked about being an eyewitness to a crime, my first response would be, “Was I even there?” :joy:

4 Likes

Yes all of these scenarios are resonating with me too! Growing up my family described it as going off into my own world. I think it is why though that I have no problems doing things on my own because I can just get my “deep thoughts” going and time flies by.

4 Likes

OK so otopathology is actually my favorite area of research so this is really interesting to me. I hope I won’t make anyone’s eyes bleed with my attempt at explaining.

So auditory processing disorder (or central auditory processing disorder or CAPD) is something still quite mysterious which overlaps with ADHD in some respects. There are several different manifestations that can go from what Ryan describes all the way to hearing completely different words than those that are actually spoken to you. The cause is in the brain (not in the ears) and can be from various sources. It can be brain damage following a stroke or trauma, it can be genetic (as there are many forms of the syndrome that are ‘‘familial’’), but most often it remains of unknown cause.

2 Likes

Awesome! Well, that definitely fits with my post-cough-syrup manifestations. Cough syrup is known to work centrally, not peripherally. Does this account for mondegreens? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondegreen

Which my husband is the king of, by the way. His misheard lyrics crack me up. I don’t hear anything, and he hears everything- wrong!

1 Like

Yes! My son actually suffers from this aspect as well (which I don’t). He went through years of therapy with a speech pathologist to overcome it, doing all kinds of techniques to kind of “reprogram” the brain. (He also suffered from a short term memory deficit.) Basically, in combination, it lead to a significant learning disability. But fortunately, the therapy did a great job and he’s currently doing well in college.

2 Likes

Oh I am often so guilty of this when listening and singing along to ‘pop’ music. My children find it quite hilarious.Your husband and I could form quite a unique choir.:wink:

3 Likes

Hmm. Then again…that is totally me!

2 Likes

Well, you just tell them that mondegreens are, by definition, BETTER than the original lyrics. So there!

2 Likes

LOL thanks wikipedia, I had never seen this word before but I got the link to the french equivalent, thankfully. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My answer is ‘‘I don’t know’’ but I think it’s different since (if I understood correctly) in mondegreen the confusion stems from an actual proximity of the sounds.

For example, growing up, I listened a lot of music in english but didn’t understand english at all. All my friends were the same and our brains made up words from sonority only and sometimes we actually thought we were hearing parts in french. You should have heard us sing those songs !!! 10% french, 90% made-up gibberish, you would have ruptured your spleen laughing at us !!! :joy:

4 Likes

Wow, awesome, I’m so glad to see a nice story like this !!! :smiley:

1 Like