Meandering discussion including but not limited to Disney shows, child behavior, speech therapy, song lyrics, autoimmune disorders, peanut butter substitutes, hygiene, and wine

Allergies are proof of the non-existence of intelligent design. The only thing more ridiculous than allergies are autoimmune diseases.

It’s literally your body having a ludicrous overreaction to a non-threat.

I get hay fever. My nose goes “Aargh! Tiny, completely non-dangerous pollen grains!” and then it pushes the nuclear button and attempts to suffocate me with mucous.

I’d like to meet the intelligent designer who came up with that system!

3 Likes

Interesting! That also makes sense because older folks are well-known to confuse words, but I think that’s peripheral nerves and end-organ deficits, right? They make mondegreens, too.

When my eldest son was 18 months old, he was so fluent in gibberish, we were in a bakery one time and he was “telling” me what he wanted with so much inflection and emphasis, that a little girl turned to her mother and said “Is that little boy from another country?” :rofl:

3 Likes

Another member for the choir.:wink:

2 Likes

I am doomed :fearful:.

3 Likes

LOL yes and there are so many other proofs too !!!

Humans are there own worst ennemies. By sanitizing our environment, we did stop dying from a lot of diseases but we overdid it and we now keep on amplifying so many others…

3 Likes

Adult-onset peanut allergy here. So far not anaphylactic, but also not testing it further. THAT was an adjustment - but almond butter or sunbutter does the trick.

Also adult-onset (or at least adult diagnosis)? Wheat. When I was tested after I started reacting to peanuts, wheat came up positive, but I didn’t think I was reacting. Turns out I was reacting…down in my lungs where my air flow was never what y doctor thought it should be even with my “reactive airway” (asthma that only flares when I have something else respiratory going on). I asked what she thought about cutting gluten to help with belly fat and she said “Have you been tested for a wheat allergy?” I fessed up, she said “Cut it until your next check-up, and we’ll see.” Did not have to use my rescue inhaler ONCE and my air flow was increased and that was that.

2 Likes

LOL !!!

Yes, in older folks it will most often be from cochlear hair cell loss, ossicular problems (otosclerosis), spiral ganlion neuron loss and other middle/inner ear issues.

1 Like

Our immune systems used to be occupied full-time fighting off horrible diseases and other germs. Some think that perhaps the situation now is that, thanks to our clean environments, these systems don’t have enough to do and turn to fighting off all manner of things, including benign environmental entities and ( most unfortunately for some people) our own selves.

5 Likes

So you’re saying our immune systems are like bored teenagers?

6 Likes

Isn’t it funny that the only thing that brought us together was an interest in Disney planning and yet, I feel, that we would have very amusing and interesting conversations in person, perhaps over a glass of wine…or two. You are all such fascinating people.

6 Likes

Agreed! I’d like to have glass of wine with you all, but you might regret it.
I am, after all, a philosophy major! :rofl:

4 Likes

Absolutely poor design. :raising_hand_woman: gluten, dairy, soy, corn & crab food allergies + ragweed, dog, cat, bark on the trees (I don’t remember which kind), grass and at least 10 others I can’t remember + autoimmune disease (hashimotos). It’s amazing I’m even alive, what with my body trying to kill me all the time.

4 Likes

And remember, for your health, very important, no more than ONE glass of wine.

6 Likes

You know, we all frequent the same location… we could easily meet up at Tiffins Lounge…

5 Likes

Yep, me too. I have so many antibodies, depending on which ones I want to choose, I could have any of a half-dozen autoimmune disorders. I always tell people, I look really bad on paper, not so bad in real life!

4 Likes

Yes, but unlike bored teenagers, I wouldn’t really recommend deliberately giving them something to do!

3 Likes

The most accepted reason why women have so much more autoimmune disorders vs men is that 2nd ‘‘X’’ chromosome but I suspect it’s also because women are much cleaner than men… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

This thread is the best! Should we rename it as “meandering discussion including but not limited to Disney shows, child behavior, speech therapy, song lyrics, autoimmune disorders, peanut butter substitutes, hygiene, and wine” :laughing: Or maybe there is a specific category in the forum for this one?

4 Likes

Spelt flour will (likely) be your new best friend. While spelt is technically wheat, it is non-hybridized. Non-hybridized versions of wheat tend NOT to cause allergic reactions in folks. (When my firstborn was allergic to wheat, we switched over to making everything with Spelt instead, which he didn’t react to at all.)

Now, if you are actually allergic to GLUTEN, that’s a horse of, well…you know.

It should probably be in La Cava.

3 Likes