McIntosh Family 1st Trip: A Tale

So sorry for your loss @JonMcIntosh! Many thoughts and prayers with you and your family!

prayers to your family

So sorry for your loss. I’m really enjoying this tr. you’ve helped me decide we must find a way back in 2015. Our last trip was 2011. Dd now 5 & 13.

1 Like

So sorry to hear about the passing of your father-in-law. Prayers for your entire family.

I’m so sorry for your loss. My condolences to you, your wife and your entire family. I will keep you all in my prayers.

It’s been too long. I honestly feel ashamed. You guys were so good to me in helping me plan our trip. It was you that helped me find my voice as I wrote about my first Disney journey. And you were there to console us when my father-in-law passed. How did I repay you? Two months of silence.

I’m sorry.

I think I stayed away for two reasons:

1. I got in my own head. After a while, it got awkward. “Who really cares if I continue my trip report? The forum has moved on and I’ve been gone for so long… just forget about it."
  2. Also, what made it hard to write is that the next day of our trip report picks up on what was probably our worst day. The day started and ended with lots of rain and little girl tears. Every day of my report so far has been filled with magic, but who, honestly, wants to read about a “bad” day at Disney?

So I stayed away.

But I missed this Liner community. And I needed to write. I feel like I owe it to you because you helped me discover the magic. And I owe it to myself, because when I write I remember the magic and make it come alive again.

So for those who still care, if you’re out there… months after the fact, here is…

Day 2: Hollywood Studios (Nov. 25th)

For weeks out, every single day, I had been checking Orland-area weather for the week of Thanksgiving. And, of course, every day, the forecast changed. With one exception. Tuesday November 25th was always in the forecast as a “rain day."

When the day finally came, it came with rain. So much rain.

We arrived at Hollywood Studios that morning a few minutes only after park opening but, as I would soon discover, everything takes longer in the rain.

Once through the turnstiles, I was so taken with the theme-ing of the Studios and Hollywood Blvd, that I couldn’t help but do a little run and spin with the stroller, even in the rain. “This may turn out to be my favorite park!” I said. It was raining hard, but we accepted that we were going to be wet all day and just went with it.

A Dark Morning
On our way to our first attraction, Disney Jr Live, the rain really picked up in earnest. You couldn’t see more than several feet in front of you. I hadn’t made adequate rain plans for our stroller, so I foolishly folded it up and propped under an awning somewhere in Animation Courtyard.

Once inside, the theater sprung a leak. Cast Members scurried around with buckets, talking frantically into handheld radios. Others stood in the doorway and nervously watched the skies. Still others said that they had never seen rain like this. Someone mentioned that Toy Story Midway Mania had taken on water and that the attraction was closed. We were all soaked and the kids were restless. The published start time came and went and the show still hadn’t started. It was starting to seem like a dark morning.

Finally Disney Jr. Live started and the kids were enthralled. Ashley (my wife) was less than impressed, but at that point, I was just happy for something dry and indoors that engaged our children.

I was still foolishly determined to try to get back on track with our plan. And this is where I started getting frustrated with TouringPlans. Disney Jr. Live is supposed to be precisely 20 minutes long, which meant it would should’ve been over at 10. We were scheduled to leave at 10 and then be at Star Tours at 10:06. Six minutes.

The reality went more like this: Disney Jr. Live started late, so it went over 5 minutes. Then I waited a couple of minutes for everyone to file out of the theater. I then rushed into the rain to the place where I folded and left our stroller to find it gone. I ran from awning to awning in Animation Courtyard for about 10 minutes looking for that damn stroller. About the point when I was certain that it was lost or stollen, I found it. A Cast Member had taken the time to unfold it and leave it open, collecting rain like a bucket. Needless to say, we didn’t make it to Star Tours at 10:06. Blinding rain, late attractions, and “Stroller Wars" didn’t figure into our original TP.

In case you haven’t picked up on my daily pattern, it goes like this:

1. Gallantly start the day boldly holding THE PLAN in my tight little fist.
  2. Come up against unforeseen forces and get beaten down.
  3. Throw a little adult temper-tantrum in my head, getting mad at God for the weather, or the TouringPlans gurus for unrealistic expectations on times between attractions, or at my family for sleeping too long, or at myself for planning too much for us to do, or at all the other people. In. My. Frickin’. Way.
  4. After said mini-tantrum, give in and accept the day that is and receive with gratitude the experiences that come to us.

The good news: our family LOVED Star Tours and due to rider swap, our older girls got to ride it twice. Because of the various adventures, Star Tours is the kind of ride that rewards multiple trips. After Star Tours, it was Muppets in 3D, which once again the whole family really enjoyed. Though it was a soaked morning, The Studios has a lot of attractions that families with kids can enjoy together. Things were starting to look up for us.

After Muppets, thankfully the sun came out but regrettably we were due back at our hotel for a break and rest. In retrospect, we should’ve stayed in the park and enjoyed it while we had sun, but I didn’t know that on return to the park that the bottom would open up again.

A Packed Afternoon
That afternoon, we returned to the park in dry clothes, and this time we were met with sun. We had a late lunch/early dinner schedule for 50’s Prime Time Cafe (great fried chicken, cool atmosphere, and yes, I ordered a drink with a glowing ice cube… what a newb.)

During our break at the hotel, I had updated our plan, so with our bellies now full, we were set to zig-zag across the park.

In brief:
-Wandering Oaken’s Frozen Snowground (Adults were bored, but the kids loved.)
-Beauty and the Beast Live (Got there right before the show started and got seats near the front. Once again, the kids loved.)
-Toy Story Midway Mania (Not closed, and maybe our family’s overall favorite attraction. Old and young loved this equally.)
-On the way to see the Osbourne Lights, we grabbed some giant Frozen themed cupcakes from Wandering Oaken’s. The lights were beautiful, but because of the rain, they let us know that they were not flashing in time to the music, so I know we missed out on part of the magic.
-After a little time with the lights, we jumped into the line for For the First Time in Forever. If you’re not in the front of the Standby line or a FP+ bearer for this attraction, they stick you up on the bleachers, even if there are open seats on the floor. My girls didn’t care because they were singing along with Anna and Elsa. I had heard (and sung) the songs from Frozen a gazillion times already, so I initially thought that my ears might bleed if I had to hear them again, but I admit that it was hard to resist singing along with the crowd.

After this, it was coming down again pretty hard. We had kids who needed to use the bathroom and we only had a few minutes to get literally to the other side of the park to catch the last showing of Fantasmic for the night.

Two Missed Must-See Attractions
For some reason unbeknownst to me, it was at this point, here at the end of the day with everyone wearing tired feet and wet clothes, here in the rain, with just a few minutes to make it to THE MOST INNOVATIVE OUTDOOR SPECTACLE EVER ATTEMPTED AT ANY THEME PARK (thanks for that pressure, Unofficial Guide) that Vera, our 2 year old, decided that she did not want to ride in a stroller. What tired kid doesn’t want to ride in a stroller? At this point, I would’ve ridden in a stroller if I could have. But Vera?

“NO!” she screamed as I threw her in stroller and started sprinting through the rain to Fantasmic. She screamed the entire length of the park as cold rain pelted us in the face.

Breathless, we pulled in front of Fantasmic only to be told that the amphitheater was filled to capacity. I didn’t understand. 8,000+ seats were filled on the second showing? We couldn’t even stand in the back? It felt weird. It felt like a punch in the gut. We were missing Fantasmic.

A moment later, the Cast Member barring our way told us that the entire show was just cancelled due to the weather.

A confession: I felt relieved. If we were going to miss Fantasmic, I somehow felt better that no one was going to see Fantasmic. I know, I know, not a loving or even a sensible thing, but still, that’s the way I felt. Once again: something was irrevocably out of my grasp with nothing whatsoever that I could do about it, so I accepted it and moved on. We had just a few more things to catch before I would accept giving in and going back to the hotel on this cold and rain drenched night.

We had Fastpasses for Tower of Terror. Well, I and the older girls did. Vera, of course was too small and Ashley was pregnant.

All that day I had sat through singalongs and musicals and darn it all, I was going to ride something fun and thrilling. Let’s go to the Twilight Zone!

Ashley and I somehow convinced the two older girls to give it try. Cora, Nola and I walked through the cobweb covered lobby and queued into the pre-ride room. The library went dark and the Rod Serling lookalike came on the screen to explain what happened in 1939 and then what was about to happen to us. “This as you may recognize is a maintenance service elevator, still in operation," he points ominously, "waiting for you. We invite you, if you dare, to step aboard, because in tonight’s episode, you are the star, and this elevator travels directly to… The Twilight Zone.”

Thunder clap.

Elevator doors open in front of us, inviting us in.

My 8 and 6 year old look up into my eyes and simultaneously say, “Nope!"

It was more like, “PLEASE DADDY… DO NOT MAKE US GET ON!"

We reluctantly filed out the chicken door and down a very normal elevator back out into the night. No trip to the Twilight Zone for this crew, at least not on this vacation.

We found Ashley and Vera coming out of the bathroom. “They couldn’t do it,” I said.

Their First Coaster
I still had hopes, however, for getting to ride Rock’n’Roller Coaster.

“Girls,” I said with hope in my voice, “since you wouldn’t do Tower of Terror, would you please consider going on Rock’n’Roller Coaster with me?"

Yes, they nodded.

We found a cast member and explained. We missed our FP+ for ToT, would they, could they, might they, possibly please pretty please give us a pass for Rock’n’Roller Coaster?

Yes. Yes, they did. Awesomely Kind and Generous Act by a Cast Member #2 for the week.

So, Cora and Nola and I ran through the entrance, filed past Steven Tyler and gang. The girls almost gave in to fear when they saw cars of people being thrust ahead as their screams filled the air, but I wouldn’t let them turn back. They almost gave up when they found out that we could not all sit together, but still we pressed through.

A random stranger (who here in this pic, is having the most fun) agreed to sit with Cora (in blue.) And 3,2,1… we were off! Look at their sweet little scared faces. Those two girls screamed the entire ride.

I had a blast, but when we got done, the girls swore they would never EVER ride another roller coaster. With one exception (as we’ll see later) this proved true for the week.

Too Much Too Late
When we finally met back up with Ashley and Vera, we should have at that point just called it an evening, but there was one more attraction on our TP: Voyage of the Little Mermaid.

Why didn’t we just leave the park then? It was almost 10pm, we were cold, wet, hungry, tired, and wearing the shreds of poncho round 2. When your family is past the point of no return, any choice you make besides going back to the hotel is a bad choice.

Through the rain, we hobbled over to VOLM, picking up a beer for me and popcorn for the family on the way. We arrived 10 minutes before the final performance, and since we were still eating and drinking, the Cast Member at the queue told us we could hang around the “In Character" gift shop for a moment before we went in.

Mistake.

Our tired and irritable girls ended up seizing on every toy in the shop. Vera, our 2 year old, wanted ALL OF THE ELSAS and would not, could not be consoled till we bought her one. The bigger girls had gift card money to spend on a charm bracelet and couldn’t figure out exactly which one to buy. “We’ve got just a few minutes guys,” I called out, but no one was listening.

A few minutes later as we packed up our purchases, we turned around for the line to VOLM only to be told, “Oh, I’m sorry. We’ve just closed the doors!"

We had dawdled too long and missed it.

Just as we started explaining to the girls what happened, the original Cast Member came outside. “Follow me,” she smiled, “I’ll show you in."

Awesomely Kind and Generous Act by a Cast Member #3.

We snuck in to the dark theater with the show already in progress. There were probably only about 30 other people in the theater at that point. Voyage of the Little Mermaid is a simple and enjoyable show, sure, but when it actually started raining on us inside the theater, it all felt like one cruel joke.

Back outside, the rain somehow had found fresh force and giant drops pelted us like cold bullets. We found ourselves at the end of the day where we started: hovering under an awning in Animation Courtyard, waiting for a break in the rain.

To put a cherry on the top of it all, Vera, delirious at this point, discovered the selling point of her Elsa doll was that it was actually a reversible Elsa and Anna doll. The rest of us knew that going into the purchase, but she had somehow missed that little detail.

She made this discovery at 10:07 pm as we huddled in the cold and dark, surrounded by strangers under the awning of the “In Character” gift shop. Needless to say, she did not appreciate this feature of the doll.

“GET THAT ANNA OUT OF MY ELSA! GET THAT ANNA OUT OF MY ELSA! GET THAT ANNA OUT OF MY ELSA! GET THAT ANNA OUT OF MY ELSA!” she proceeded to cry repeatedly as she tried to tear apart the doll that was ironically originally purchased to console her.

Embarrassed parents tried to hush. Strangers gawked. The father began to question every decision he had made that day.

We gathered up our soaked belongings and what was left of our pride and darted from covering to covering out through the gates of Hollywood Studios, on to the bus for Art of Animation where a warm room was waiting for us to revel in what may have been the best part of our day: the fact that it was over.

Epilogue: Wet at Disney or Dry at Home
So that was the trip report I was delaying writing. The day was not devoid of magic, however. I actually love the Studios and the magic of film that the park represents so well. My kids will never forget Star Tours and Toy Story Midway Mania, and I’ll have a picture of their horrified faces to always remember their first roller coaster.

From my phone that day, over on chat, I wrote this:
“Water logged at Hollywood Studios today. But I think of it this way: I would rather be wet at Disney than dry at home!”

And that still holds true.

23 Likes

Yay! Yay!Yay! What a wonderful gift to read this on a Monday! Thank you! Did I say, yay?

1 Like

Thanks for coming back @JonMcIntosh! You might have wanted to avoid writing about this day, but I am so glad you wrote it! You had me laughing along, and even though I know it wasn’t the day you imagined, it will make for many great memories as your kids grow up. Tell us more, we love your writing style!

3 Likes

Thanks for writing more. It IS hard to write about a difficult experience, but I find that I feel better after.

1 Like

Thanks for coming back. Enjoying so much. Can relate so well to your trip. My girls are older now but boy oh boy. Disney is the great equalizer. A great place to learn to stop and go with the flow. Also sorry for your loss.

1 Like

@PrincipalTinker @Wahoohokie @SallyEppcot @Colleen68 Thank you for the warm reception. It feels really good to be back and engaged with what’s going on. I missed you guys.

3 Likes

I’m very sorry to hear of your family’s loss. Thank you for updating your story! I could not stop laughing at the “get that Anna out of my Elsa” part! We, too, experienced the Osborne Lights in the pouring rain on our trip. It always seems to rain on us when we visit HS but we still have fun. I’m glad that your family did too! Please continue sharing your trip @JonMcIntosh!

2 Likes

Love reading this! I feel your pain and joy; DD9,6,&3! I have laughed and cried reading your report and can’t wait for more. Thank you!

2 Likes

Thanks for coming back @JonMcIntosh your stories are very entertaining. Our trip that started as yours was ending was also packed to the gills with things to do and see and got derailed a few times but we wouldn’t change it for anything. I look forward to reading more, hope you stick around once your done. After all it’s only a matter of time before you start planning your next trip :wink:

2 Likes

Aww that was great! I can totally empathise - it’s a joyful thing taking little kids to WDW, but there are challenges too! I certainly had a few moments in my last trip where I had to have a stern word with myself and say, ‘this is not even close to a real world problem!’ and move on and carry on with the fun.

1 Like

I am so glad you came back!! This was so fun to read! I was seriously just laughing out loud at the “get that anna out of my elsa!”.
I hope you are all doing okay after the death of your father in law. I was very sorry to read about that. Take care and I cant wait to read the next few installments of your trip (please don’t make us wait 2 months for it though!! :wink:)

2 Likes

I’m happy to see you’re back with the next chapter of your story! As maddening as they can be, I like to think of downpours, derailments, and detours as opportunities for new and improved adventures for the next trip. And yes, yes, yes…wet at Disney is better than dry at home!

1 Like

Welcome back!!! Can’t wait to hear more… Of course! And the saying any disney is better then any home holds true in myind for sure! (Ps the " get that Anna out of my Elsa" made me lol sorry!!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome back! Your travel tales are always very entertaining!

2 Likes

Welcome back @JonMcIntosh! Thank you for, once again, sharing your trip - the amazing and the bumpy - with us. You better believe we care! :smile: I’m, once again, jealous of your congregation who get to listen to you every Sunday!

1 Like