Master and Apprentice: A Disneyland Trip Report

Bengal BBQ! I love it, it is still there and very popular.

4 Likes

Do not be embarrassed to be human. :heart:

10 Likes

:blue_heart::yellow_heart: Thank you for always sharing your trips and for being so honest about your feelings. I have been feeling the same way about my up coming trip. Not that excited, feeling incredibly guilty.

Friends have talked about sending their money to Ukraine this way. I sure hope it makes it to the people.

6 Likes

I asked this of my guides my last trip. Their answer was pretty easy. If the guests ask, then yes unless it’s a comfort issue.

They’ll also sit out if asked.

I’m pretty sure they aren’t allowed to ride with celebrities, as every one I saw placed the guests on the attraction and waited for them at the exit.

Both my guides said that they’ll try to sit with families to fill out the numbers. 3 or 6 for RR, 2/4/6 for 2 seaters etc.

They will try not to be an odd number, unless asked by the guests, so that they don’t displace other parties.

That was a lot of words to say they can, and will if the numbers work and the guests are happy.

4 Likes

Adding that as a party of 3 for most of my tours both at DLR and WDW, the guides have ridden with us for almost all of it (minus the 5th and 6th straight Matterhorn and the 4th straight BTMR).

As a party of 4 for one tour, they sat out for most of it (they rode RotR).

4 Likes

I actually only get cheesecake a few times a year, and not from this location. :joy: I love cheesecake, but I consider it a rare delicacy. I try not to overdo it so I don’t ever get sick of it. (Like I do with everything else. :rofl:)

I am still laughing too! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have always wanted to try, but then I don’t. Lol

This is a great idea! I’ve donated to a couple of individuals that I know there. I will probably keep looking for opportunities. My brother and I want to go to Ukraine to help clean up when (:crossed_fingers:t3:) this war ends.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: If you had made them ride that would have been a little inconsiderate. Lol

8 Likes

The UOR guide told me he’s had parents who pawn their kids off on the guides for the water rides. He had one family who’s kid kept going on and on and the parents wouldn’t do it so he had to (he only told me this after I made a joke about him going on instead in me [I rode every single ride, I was only joking with him!] and I pressed him to tell me why he made a face)

I promised him I wouldn’t ask him to go on anything I wouldn’t do myself.

3 Likes

That was a much bolder joke than I expected. :flushed::rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

:woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

Air B&B is also offering a way to straight up donate after people were doing this

5 Likes

Do they know about this though?

4 Likes

Hell no, I am never going to say a word.

(To be honest, there is still like a 30% chance in my mind that there is more to the story than just the CPAP machine, and I honestly don’t want to know, so this is the story I am choosing to believe.)

9 Likes

:laughing: fair point!

5 Likes

@Jeff_AZ I have two questions for you about DL.

1. Do any of the rides have themed queues that get bypassed with LL or MA? I’m thinking specifically GotG and Indy but there could be others. When we went to WDW we were told that on FOP ( which we didn’t end up doing) the Fastpass line skipped the themed queue. Also, ToT in normal times has an amazing themed preshow etc which is missed by going in the exit for MA/DAS.

2. I know Matterhorn is nicknamed Batterhorn but what other rides are “rough”? Just want a sense of which DH may need to skip or at least have me test ride alone first. Thanks.

I’ve also heard of people ordering on Etsy looking for artists in Ukraine with digital downloads. Money goes straight to them and no shipping is needed and you might find something you can use. :blue_heart::yellow_heart:

3 Likes

There are some minor thematic items that you miss in LL / MA. But nothing that I consider “must see.”

GotG: With either LL/MA, you miss the collector’s room (formerly the lobby of the old hotel) - you can glance at some of the objects across the room but you don’t spend much time there. You are ushered directly into the “studies” where you watch the preshow with Rocket, then go to the line for the ride. ECVs can go through the preshow!

Indiana Jones: You don’t miss anything with LL. Just the outside queue. With MA, you go around through the exit, but they join you with the line at a point where you still see the film, but you do skip some of the themed portions of the queue. There are some nice details there, but not worth waiting for, IMO, and hard to navigate in an ECV. So I would use the wheelchair entrance for sure.

MFSR: LL skips the themed queue, but joins up in time to see the preshow with Hondo. I think the entire queue is ECV accessible, so without a LL you wouldn’t miss anything. The line is usually fast moving and the queue is interesting to look at, so LL is not essential here.

RotR: For LL, you skip the themed queue, but you see all preshows. The themed queue is nice, and might be worth seeing one time, but not at the expense of a long wait. I think the full queue is wheelchair/ECV accessible.

Star Tours: LL only skips the outdoor portion of the queue. For MA, you skip the part of the queue where C-3PO and R2 are with a model of the star cruiser. Not worth waiting for, and you can’t go that way with an ECV. Can’t remember if there are stairs or just a steep ramp.

Space Mountain: If you can walk for a reasonable distance and climb stairs, they will have you join the LL line, which just skips the outdoor portion of the line. If you have trouble with stairs, they can have you report directly to the loading platform. There’s not much to see in the queue, to be honest, so I would just do what is most comfortable.

Splash Mountain: LL just skips the outdoor portion of the queue. MA goes straight to the loading platform. The only thing I like in the queue is the sayings on the wall. Not worth waiting for.

Most other rides I can think of either go through the full queue or there is nothing interesting to look at in the queue. Let me know if there are any other rides you were wondering about.

5 Likes

Incredicoaster is incredibly smooth for a roller coaster, but I wouldn’t go on it if I was concerned about being shaken around. Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain to a lesser extent.

2 Likes

Thanks. I suspected some of this but it’s so nice having confirmation so I know how to plan! You really are a wealth of information and so generous with it.

2 Likes

@mathhound, I will say that WDW hands down does the queues better than DLR. As @Jeff_AZ has reported, not much to be missed.

2 Likes

A couple of weekends ago we were there with my DSIL who was in a wheelchair. At JC we had to get a return time in the booth between JC and IJ. When it was time for us to ride we had to go back to the same booth/hut and get our tickets scanned, and then carry the green pass back to the wheelchair entrance near the exit of JC. They do a have a boat that can handle a wheelchair without a transfer.

PoC: in the past I’ve been instructed to go to the exit and talk to the CM there. Sometimes they would send us right in (through the exit) and sometimes they would give us a return time.

At most of the Fantasyland rides you’ll approach the exit and the CM will either let you right on, or give you a return time. These return times should not interfere with your Genie + return times or DAS return times. They are different from either of those.

4 Likes

But did you tell your wife? :grin:

5 Likes