Masks vs. Respirators in WDW

So, we are planning a quick trip to the world in October. I was looking at the face covering rules and noticed that they won’t allow the following:

At this time, based on guidance from health authorities, neck gaiters, open-chin triangle bandanas and face coverings containing valves, mesh material or holes of any kind are not acceptable face coverings.

I called to clarify. Nope, can’t be your face covering. So, if you are using a respirator that has holes or valves, even if they are filtered both ways, you can’t wear them. Even if respirators are protecting both you and others, you can’t use those as face coverings.

What is with Disney? I’m wearing my respirator with a fabric mask over it, because I want to feel safe as well…

Does WDW allow face shields? How about the cool ones that you get at Costco?

1 Like

My thought is that some of these masks are not designed to filter air, or, and Ive seen this, where you detach something and it basically becomes a breathing hole. So Disney has no way of knowing so blanket rule applies. I bought these, what I call, silicone cages to put in my pleated masks. Takes some getting used to but it does keep you from breathing in the fabric, which is my biggest complaint with pleated masks.

4 Likes

I understand what you are saying, but it would be easy to prove you are filtering both ways.

Some of these respirators are high price, quality pieces that I’ve seen. I’m just disappointed in WDW for not allowing them.

Still, I will wear mine with the thinnest mask that is 2-ply that I can find. Hate I have to do that.

2 Likes

How would you do this, curious, because I also think, if you can not turn the filter feature off, this would be a great option for Disney.

Is this for other people to see or is this something that makes it better?

I would show them the extra filters I’m carrying, and show how you can see the filter through the holes.

1 Like

WDW would see me wearing a compliant mask, and my respirator would be keeping ME safe at the same time…

2 Likes

This has merit. I wonder if was a master list of “approved vent masks” if Disney would allow, based on proof your wearing that mask. Might be something to write Disney about. Ive been thinking about getting one for DH and myself.

1 Like

So they allow as long as u have the 2 ply over?

I doubt they care what’s under a mask, as long as it didn’t trip any alarms, which it wouldn’t. It would be completely covering my respirator, anyway.

2 Likes

I would hope that they would allow that.

If I was venturing a guess, perhaps it’s because all the CM are to be keeping an eye out for people to comply, and they couldn’t tell at a quick look what kind of filter you have without stopping and hassling you?

I wouldn’t put it past someone to walk in with one type on and then switch for some reason, perhaps unintentionally switching out for a non-sweaty one without realizing the new one wasn’t compliant.

3 Likes

I don’t see why not if I’m wearing the compliant, albeit not as effective, one over it. It’s not like I’d go in and take off the outer one.

Edited to fix a typo.

2 Likes

So, I wanted to know what kind of thing you bought, because I, too, hate breathing in the pleated mask. So I did a google search on your words… “silicone cages”. Don’t ever do that unless you’re into some creative… um… personal time with your partner.

Now, do you happen to have a link to the thing you have that’s saving your lips from the fabric in your mask? Thanks.

3 Likes

We saw this happen on our trip with someone in a gaiter. I’m sure they were wearing a mask in order to get through security, but then switched to a gaiter and were arguing (loudly) with the CM who told them they needed to wear a mask.

2 Likes

That’s pretty funny! I haven’t actually ordered any, but here’s a link to some on Amazon.

2 Likes

Haha! Yes, just my fun little nickname for them!

1 Like

I seriously laughed for about a minute when I read this!!!

3 Likes

When I found out the valves could be a problem, I started putting duct tape over the respirator vent holes (on the inside). Although… I might not expect an underpaid employee to know or care that I’ve done that, so I have the valveless ones for places such as WDW or the airlines.

Do you not have a respirator without valves or do you just not like them? I honestly have not noticed much difference with the hole blocked or absent, and they do protect you better that way. There was a study that showed n95 masks with no valve were more effective at preventing COVID in the wearer.

1 Like

I don’t like the mask on my lips either. So I have the Vera Bradley and non-pleated ones from Target. They do not sit against your mouth and there is a space to breathe.

1 Like

The respirator is silicon which seals to your face. You breathe in and out of holes that have the filters behind it. If you cover the holes, no breathing would happen, I’m afraid.

2 Likes