Magical express ending 1 Jan 2022

Skyliner to DS was the most likely next step, although the plan was always to see how the first installation went first.

Skyliner to AK was never on the cards. There were plans for a transport link to AK eventually; the front runner was some kind of light rail system.

2 Likes

But how many steps is adding to that? 1) land MCO 2) Bus to DS 3) Skyliner to resort. What if you have to switch skyliner lines? No thank you. Hello Uber. When I get to MCO I want to just get there, not take 3 more types of transportation.

5 Likes

Probably depends on post-Covid demand for on-site stays. My guess – there is going to be huge demand for WDW on-site resorts for fall/winter 2021 and all of 2022 without bringing back much in terms of perks. If demand is less than expected, however, then WDW will need to weigh the cost of perks vs the lost potential revenue from unsold rooms.

Definitely not a monorail. But Skyliner is proving to be too unreliable to be taken as a serious method of transportation. Buses always have to be at the ready on a continual basis. I suppose the same is true of any form of transportation, but such breakdowns/shutdowns for others are rare as compared to Skyliner, which happen on a whim multiple times a day.

I was hoping to see something new and unique. Perhaps a submarine, since it is all swamp land anyhow! :wink:

2 Likes

Way too expensive. (not screaming)

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

The planning monster is not all (some of it is) the result of Disney’s creation of advanced reservations and upcharge events … part of the issue is the huge demand for WDW vacations (especially trips loaded with short lines for E-ticket rides and character meet & greets).

I was thinking Skyliner between AKL and AK could be pretty swell.
Reminds me of the gondola that’s at Bronx Zoo (I think).
Of course installation over the paddocks etc could be quite disruptive to the animals I imagine.

1 Like

Plus the threat of items falling into the enclosures.

1 Like

Hey, as long as one of your party makes it to the ADR, you’re golden

2 Likes

Lol
I was thinking more along the lines of phones and trash, though. :rofl:

2 Likes

Oh yeah. That too.

Well I was thinking Disney could work some magic with a natural-looking service corridor that you’d pass over, viewing the animals obliquely.

But still it would probably involve some habitat gerrymandering.

I agree and I personally think they will allow people the option to pay a small fee and have early access to ADRs, FPPs, etc. Or maybe do a tiered system where those at Deluxe reports get 3 FPPs, Moderates 2 FPPs, etc. They seem to be going that route on many things. Pay for ‘exclusive’ access to events and such. I have mixed feelings on this approach.

And the evacuation process could be interesting too. Those aren’t tame animals …

1 Like

Cue Mufasa explaining the Circle of Life

2 Likes

Come here Little Johnny, if you lean out this window you can really see the lions right below us,OOPS!:lion::lion::cut_of_meat:

3 Likes

Reminds me of this video that has been making the rounds …

2 Likes

I think it’s more likely Mufasa was a lion jedi so his body disappeared when he died a la Obi Wan or Yoda. Then he appeared to Simba as a force ghost to help give him the right mindset to grow into the leader he was meant to be and face his evil power-hungry family member. (All these stories are the same! :exploding_head:)

6 Likes

Right- “Never let a crisis go to waste.” I’m not sure who first said it, but I think a lot of big organizations take it to heart.

I never thought about it from that angle, but I think that’s true. And, from Disney’s viewpoint, I wonder if a minus to offsite guests is the same as a plus for onsite guests?

I like the hours change because we never used EMH as the attractions weren’t really what we wanted to do, but made that park more full anyway. It was a perk we never used. Maybe a perk used by more people works out okay even if it’s worth significantly less to some onsite guests.
…
I think that the total capacity of Disney accommodations is nearing the total capacity of the parks, isn’t it?. To me it’s always been odd that Disney discounts hotel rooms while still building new hotels. That’s excess capacity. The only way that makes sense is that they intend to drive down that excess capacity in the near future.

If I were investing in something right now, wouldn’t be a non-Disney hotel near WDW, that’s for sure.

1 Like

“You never want a serious crisis to go to waste. And what I mean by that is an opportunity to do things that you think you could not do before.”

― Rahm Emanuel

1 Like