Magic Key Sales Resuming Soon

Disneyland has announced that all Magic Key sales will resume January 10, 2024. Up until this point, Magic Keys have only been available for renewal. Sales will resume no earlier than 9am PT on January 10th.

4 Likes

I was just looking into that…But I don’t know if I can justify it. I’d have to go more, and I need some help with that Disney math LOL

3 Likes

We’re starting to run into this problem too. On our current pass we can go most (but not all) of the summer (Saturdays in July are blocked as is the 4th). We also have almost all Sundays (that are not holidays or holiday adjacent) available all year. Problem is a lot of the weekends we’ve gotten used to going around the school breaks from October-April all seem to run into a Saturday blockout and our Disney time & math don’t usually work out to go for “a quick weekend” when Saturday, the main full day that we weren’t tired from the overnight drive, is taken off the table. So now it feels we just have the pass for May-September which isn’t ideal.

So we either need to upgrade to the no blockouts or just not be passholders and go the more usual route of Disney every year or two. And with how our DCL trip has changed with the last minute changes to Oceaneer Club it’s put us off feeding all our money to the mouse so we may be finally on the path to not being passholders. Sigh.

1 Like

Well I’m not gonna heart that. LOL But I feel ya. Did I see some bad stuff happening for DVC as well? Maybe it was good changes there.

Yes my problem comes from more I’m in Texas and ever so slightly closer to WDW and I’m trying to collect the world parks and accomodate other people’s travel desires (like DH to Scotland and DD to Italy) and so I really shouldn’t be making bunches of small trips and even if I do I go between the two coasts so an annual pass I usually wouldn’t go enough days to pay for it when it’s just good on one coast (and like you I want to be able to go in summer, Saturdays, etc.)

2 Likes

I think there was a rumor of DVC changing up so it wasn’t specific to a home resort? But I never followed through on if that rumor ever came to fruition cuz we’re not DVC.

We have long talked about what we could do with our vacations if we didn’t do so many small trips to DLR. And now that we’re more emotionally ready to let go of our DLR habit, it’s kinda exciting to think about all the fun we could have. DS12 really, really, really wants to get to Tokyo. We all want to do Paris, London and a good chunk of Germany. I know I’d love Italy but I don’t how much DH or some of my kids would. Maybe just to say they did. So yea, all seems much more within arms reach.

2 Likes

My problem is that I want to go to both all the time so I have an AP for each and it’s expensive. :grimacing::sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Same. I really should let one go, but cannot do it!

3 Likes

The one that’s harder for me to justify is DLR but that’s the one I’m afraid I won’t be able to get later if I let it lapse!

3 Likes

Yes! I keep renewing because I’m afraid I won’t be able to get another. With WDW it’s easy to let it lapse but I never seem to go very long between trips so seems to make sense to get the discount and renew.

3 Likes

This has been us too. There were years in the before times that, if we weren’t going within a month of expiration, we wouldn’t renew right away. And instead, to help us offset the full cost we’d buy 3 day tickets and then whenever it was that we went after that, upgrade the tickets to a pass. It was a way to split up the full cost to different billing cycles. But now we can’t do any of that because it’s renew it or lose it.

2 Likes

Damn they got us good. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I consider it my charitable contribution to the poor Disney shareholders that are so obviously suffering with the way corporate Disney has looked out for them so well these last few years especially. So then it become tax deductible*, right?

**[[Not actual tax advice as I am in no way an accountant, and especially not a tax one]]

2 Likes

:rofl:

I actually own a few shares of DIS. I’ve lost like $600 on the investment. I bought at a very bad time, though not the worst time. I would have lost another $300 if I had bought at the peak.

1 Like

Nice! (to owning shares). Boo to the loss.

We talked about getting a couple of our own shares back in 2016-18 but buying shares seems like such a big, scary thing and I think it was pretty high when we looked, so we were like “Not now, but maybe one day if it ever goes down.” Too bad we never thought to check back when I’m sure it actually was crazy low in 2020.

2 Likes

Oh man, this whole thing is giving me one of those stress-related eye twitches! As you all have said, this system of scarcity creating demand is messing with me! I’ve let my AP/MK lapse so many times over the years and never worried about renewing or upgrading a ticket. Then, poof!, they pull sales. I’m sitting on a 5day PH with Genie+ ticket that expires on 1/12 and have no idea if I can upgrade it over the phone (I’m not local so I can’t get to the booth next week). Have asked in DL app chat and am awaiting a reply. If the answer is no, I’ll probably just keep sitting on the ticket and see what the future holds when my next trip comes up.

2 Likes

Hokay, well that’s that I guess… Got a reply from a CM via DL app chat and they say no upgrades over the phone for wholly unused tickets. Now I have to decide if I’ll just buy the MK outright and save the expired ticket as credit for my kids’ tickets (I don’t get them APs because I go with out them, LOL).

2 Likes

D’oh! I swear they used to do this, but I could be thinking of WDW. It’s been years since I tried upgrading a DL ticket.

1 Like

Same. I’ve definitely upgraded and modified tickets over the phone (as recently as a few months ago), but not upgrades for AP/MKs. I could sit on hold next week with ticketing and see if I get a different answer. Need to weigh out all the options.

2 Likes

I bet you they used to. Just like they used to allow for you to use (up to one) a gift card to pay to renew a pass online (and now you may only use a gift card at the booths) or call in and give multipe gift cards over the phone.

2 Likes

Update: I survived the queue and got my Magic Key yesterday! The browser method (how DLR told us to join) totally malfunctioned and I had to go through the app to get in. Not shocking at all, of course. I was in the queue just after 9am and had my Key by 3:45pm.

I was watching the reservation calendar that morning because I figured they would replenish some of the days (mostly weekends and MLK Day) that were already full. Sure enough, they did. Makes sense, as the whole process is diabolical enough without them selling passes that then can’t be used anytime soon. My trip is the first weekend of February, so I snagged my reservations as soon as I had the key in my account. Countdown 22 days, yay!

I’m really surprised Imagine is the only one left. I thought for sure it would go first, with Believe and Enchant next. But I thought Inspire would be around for a bit.

I hope any of you that had to queue up yesterday were successful!

3 Likes