M&D's Scotland's Theme Park

:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers: I’ve been there as a kid but never seen the regatta

1 Like

@Shmebulock would you be able to make it to Edinburgh? I think that would allow me to be more flexible rather than ditching my family at the Kelpies. But I could probably do both if not!

Do you have any recommendations for Arran? We are staying at the Auchrannie Resort and are undecided on if we need to rent a car or not! I would love some advice.

What do you ladies think about a day trip to North Berwick from Edinburgh? It looks beautiful but we could also substitute Glasgow into that day since otherwise we are mostly just passing through Glasgow.

@amvanhoose_701479 the sheepdog farm is closed! I’m actually really sad about that. I think we found a farm tour in Loch Lommond that will have to suffice.

1 Like

Sunday 19th or Monday 20th?
I’m sure I can make something work :+1:t2::crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2:

Are you crossing to Arran as foot passengers?
If it’s convenient and reasonably priced to hire a car then it might be worth it depending on what you want to do there. Keep in mind that car slots on the ferries have to be booked in advance.
The reason a car would be good is if you want to loop the island. It’s knows for being ‘Scotland in miniature’ and one of the best ways to see that (other than from the boat) is to drive all the way around. The scenery is absolutely gorgeous!! If you don’t have car, you’ll be able to enjoy Brodick. There’s mini golf and a small marine life center. However, if you have a car, I highly recommend driving up to Lochranza. It’s idyllic!! There’s also a pitch and putt course there with resident deer!! There’s also a really good sandwich shop :yum::laughing: (although the cafe behind the mini golf in Brodick also serves good food).

I would personally choose North Berwick over Glasgow, but I much prefer the coast to the city. North Berwick is a good beach in a nice town with great fish and chip shop!
If you choose Glasgow, think about The Science Centre. It’s a great place for kids and you get a lovely view of the Clydeside area.

1 Like

Aw, that makes me sad, too! I think the hedgehog rescue we visited in Wales is closed too. :cry:. Hope the farm tour is fab!

1 Like

There’s also the Sea Bird Centre at North Berwick, and Tantallon Castle just a couple of miles outside the town. Oh and if you’re Blackadder fans there’s the Blackadder Church!

Equally though there are places nearer Edinburgh. At South Queensferry there are boat tours up and down the Forth, under the three bridges to see puffins and seals and you can land on Inchcolm Island and see the ruined priory and also WWII fortifications (although you will be there in nesting season so you would need to be careful venturing too much).
Also Hopetoun House is a great stately home. The family still live there are but you can also get a real taste of the whole Downton feel. Also Midhope Castle is in the grounds, both that and the House were used as filming locations for Outlander. Also just outside the town is Dalmeny House with beautiful grounds. Also a little further up the Forth is Blackness Castle, another Outlander location.

And the Royal Yacht Britannia is consistently voted the best U.K. tourist attraction.

2 Likes

Only the grounds are currently accessible due to conservation work :frowning:

It’s still a beautiful place though, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to get there while the castle isn’t accessible.

1 Like

Sounds like @Nicky_S has to work on Monday so let’s do Sunday! Yay!! You two pick the place in town!

Yes, we are coming from Edinburgh through Glasgow that day and ultimately taking the train from Glasgow to London afterwards. So I don’t think we want to rent a car on the “mainland” but I did see a small car shop on the island. Wasn’t sure how necessary that would be? We would like to see the whole island but perhaps we can rent a car for a single day?

Ok I think this might have to get added to the list and I completely forgot about the yacht. DH and I already watched a documentary on this. I actually think my father would really enjoy that. I might have to rejigger the Edinburgh stuff. Perhaps we will have enough coastal exposure on Arran.

Is there a distillery beyond Malt Disneyworld that you all might recommend? Or anywhere that we can see (and taste) Salmon get smoked?

2 Likes

There’s a distillery on Arran. I don’t know how good it is though. Whiskey isn’t my thing (I done the Whiskey tour on the Royal Mile once and still don’t appreciate whiskey :woman_shrugging:t4::laughing:).
Anyway, that might be another point for getting a car on Arran. There are maybe public transport options for seeing the island, but I’ve only done it in a car so I don’t know.

As for smokehouses, the only ones I know are on the south coast, so they’re well out of your way. I’m sure there will be others, but I don’t know them.

1 Like

Just to respond to this I have been watching a lot of the “timed ticket” type of stuff. (I had to do this last year with the Louvre and Eiffel Tower too.) I mostly just look a few days ahead and see if things sell out. I haven’t really seen much selling out yet but I am sure in the summer some things might. Obviously I have dates for some of this stuff but I would rather be a little nimble and be able to be flexible with weather/sleep, etc. But the Scottish stuff makes it really easy because they show you actually how many tickets are available for each hour!

I assume there must be school tours or something because it’s interesting how 10 and 11 are so booked but 10:30 is wide open!

2 Likes

There seems to be a smokehouse on Arran.

Skipness Smokehouse:

1 Like

You can certainly buy skipness stuff on Arran, but the smokehouse is actually on the mainland.

1 Like

Ohhhhh! :joy:

I did try the website but it just kept on spinning.

1 Like

So what sort of Liner meet are we wanting?

Afternoon tea? Lunch? Or ….???

@melcort10 , I see the plans are for the Royal Mile and Arthur’s Seat that day. Any thoughts as to what would work best, timing wise?

And @Shmebulock , what made you change your name, I rather liked your previous persona!

2 Likes

My identity was uncovered in the real world (thanks a bunch Instagram :roll_eyes:), and I don’t really want people in the real world knowing all the details I share on here, so I felt the need to change :frowning: I miss Scaffy too :-1:t3:

1 Like

Ah. I hadn’t worked out who you were :joy:. All makes sense now!

2 Likes

I’m very open to whatever kind of meet you think will be best! Can’t say that I’m a big beer drinker but I absolutely embody the “When in Rome/Scotland/England” methodology. Also I would imagine your pubs serve wine too! We are doing tea at the Witchery on Tuesday but I almost never get tea opportunities so would love that too.

Sunday will be our first real day in Edinburgh so I will send off my little ones and DH with the grandparents and should be free as a bird. I think that day will mostly wandering around probably a little grocery shopping, etc. I can do whatever works best for your schedules!

Ok this looks like a possibility! We’ve been watching a ton of Paul Murton videos (is he famous?) and he went to a really cool old-fashioned smokehouse that DH has been craving.

1 Like

So afternoon tea with Prosecco option is something I did several times pre-COVID.

Or there was a brunch at one of the hotels that friends recommended. I could find out if that’s still on - Mimosas included with free refills.

1 Like

This sounds perfect to me!

Paul Merton is a British comedian/ actor/ writer. Prob best known here for Have I got news for you-a news satire quiz on bbc. He’s done some travel stuff recently too. So yes I guess he’s pretty well known here.

1 Like