M&D's Scotland's Theme Park

Nod. I’m not sure exactly what you’re envisioning with your “islands” and “coastal towns” days because that sounds similar to what you’ll get exploring Isle of Skye. The locals might have other thoughts about specific “west coast”
destinations, but otherwise I’d just put that time into exploring Isle of Skye.

If it were me, I might split my time mainly between Edinburgh and Isle of Skye with a night or two in Inverness and a night of two in Glasgow, depending on how much time you want at Culloden and Loch Lomond. (I’ve been to Culloden but not Loch Lomond.)

So something like…
Stay in Edinburgh (including day trip to Linlithgow)
Stop in Kincraig en route to Inverness
1-2 nights Inverness
Visit Culloden before going to Isle of Skye
Stay on Isle of Skye
Stop at Loch Lomond en route to Glasgow (or as day trip out of Glasgow)
1-2 nights Glasgow

1 Like

I think the costal towns and islands from Glasgow was partly me. I was thinking of the possibility of going across to Dunoon etc. But that was before I realised how much time she’d allocated to Skye.

I need to catch up properly on today’s posts. I read them at lunch on my phone so was skimming. But I’m quite tired so I’ll come back to it tomorrow.

1 Like

No rush! Have a nice evening! :slight_smile: :wine_glass:

1 Like

Hi team! I’m back from Europe and the whole family cannot wait to get back over there. I feel like I need to get cracking so that I can start reserving the airBnBs!

A few things have changed since the last review of our plans. First, we made it to France! So I can take out that piece. Second, most of the Germans (especially DMIL) actually expressed interest in joining us in Scotland so that takes the pressure off of going to Germany. So now we have LOTS of time. Lastly, everyone did really well with travelling but 3 nights is my new bare minimum for a sleeping location so that eliminates some flexibility I know.

How do these plans look now just in terms of “home base”/lodging locations? I know “West Coast” was thrown out there, but is that captured in Isle of Skye? And where did we land on us staying in Glasgow? I have 10 nights at the end in Edinburgh but should I allocate those to the Highlands instead? And what are your thoughts on staying near Ft. William vs. Inverness? Thank you, thank you!!

Date DotW Lodgings Plans
6/2/2022 Thursday Leave the US
6/3/2022 Friday London Double decker bus
6/4/2022 Saturday London Tower/Burough Mkt
6/5/2022 Sunday London Parks
6/6/2022 Monday London
6/7/2022 Tuesday London Harrods
6/8/2022 Wednesday London
6/9/2022 Thursday London River tour
6/10/2022 Friday Caledonian Sleeper to Ft. William/Inverness
6/11/2022 Saturday Ft. William/Invnerness
6/12/2022 Sunday Ft. William/Invnerness
6/13/2022 Monday Ft. William/Invnerness
6/14/2022 Tuesday Ft. William/Invnerness
6/15/2022 Wednesday Skye Drive to Skye
6/16/2022 Thursday Skye
6/17/2022 Friday Skye
6/18/2022 Saturday Skye
6/19/2022 Sunday Skye
6/20/2022 Monday Skye
6/21/2022 Tuesday Skye
6/22/2022 Wednesday Glasgow Stop at Kincraig on the way to Glasgow
6/23/2022 Thursday Glasgow
6/24/2022 Friday Glasgow
6/25/2022 Saturday Edinburgh
6/26/2022 Sunday Edinburgh Loch Lomond
6/27/2022 Monday Edinburgh Greyfriars Kirkyard/Arthur’s Seat
6/28/2022 Tuesday Edinburgh Royal Mile/Museums
6/29/2022 Wednesday Edinburgh Boat trip along the Forth
6/30/2022 Thursday Edinburgh Castle and family whiskey tasting
7/1/2022 Friday Edinburgh Childhood museum
7/2/2022 Saturday Edinburgh Stately Homes
7/3/2022 Sunday Edinburgh Linlithgow
7/4/2022 Monday Fly Home

Not to put a spanner in your works, (and also I will have to skim read earlier in the thread so I don’t know if this was covered) but have you considered Arran instead of Skye? I love Skye, but Arran is my favourite island so far! :heart_eyes:

Also, just to note that the museum of childhood on the royal mile is awesome and worth a visit, but it’s not an all day event. Maybe look into Dynamic Earth to add to that day. It’s not free like the museum of childhood, but it’s great for the kids and nearby.

1 Like

I’m WIDE open to suggestions right now so I’ll gladly look into Arran! It looks more appealing to be so much closer to Glasgow/Edinburgh. My question becomes, if we never really go north of say Ft. William, are we missing a key part of Scotland?

I’m really looking for one place that we can do 7-10 days of a more chill experience with maybe a few day trips (similar to what we did outside Lyon, France) but lots of eating and enjoying whatever house we rent, etc. Maybe that is Skye? Maybe it’s Edinburgh?

Fort William itself isn’t a very picturesque town. The surrounding area (Nevis Range etc), is beautiful. If you go there, check out Neptune’s Staircase and the Glenfinnan Monument/Viaduct.
It’s been a long time since I’ve been to Inverness, but I remember it being nice.

1 Like

Ok, Fort William can just be a placeholder for that general area. It’s either Ft. William or Inverness for the Caledonian sleeper that my DH is obsessed with.

1 Like

Is this your place @Nicky_S ??

View On AirbnbPicturesque Isle of Jura house

Sadly not!

1 Like

Is this worth planning my trip around? I know we want to go to a Highland games. This one looks really cool but not sure relative to other ones. Early bird tickets are on sale now (not sure if that matters).

Hi all - I’ve gotten some great input on chat and from @hodg so I thought I would update here. UK trip countdown is one month! I kind of wish we could have squeezed in a day trip to DLP but I think this is pretty jam packed enough!

Date DotW Lodgings Plans
6/10/2022 Friday Leave US/Glasgow Hotel Leave Logan 6:55am Arrive Glasgow 9:25pm
6/11/2022 Saturday Rhumhor House Glasgow/Bearsdean Highland Games
6/12/2022 Sunday Rhumhor House Lennox of Lommond Farm Tour
6/13/2022 Monday Rhumhor House Glen Coe
6/14/2022 Tuesday Rhumhor House 4 Wheel Car Rental
6/15/2022 Wednesday Rhumhor House Trossachs/Inverarary
6/16/2022 Thursday Rhumhor House Loch Lomond
6/17/2022 Friday Rhumhor House Kayak
6/18/2022 Saturday Edinburgh Falkirk Wheel & Kelpies
6/19/2022 Sunday Edinburgh Greyfriars/Royal Mile/Arthur’s Seat
6/20/2022 Monday Edinburgh Edinburgh Castle/Tea
6/21/2022 Tuesday Edinburgh East Lothian/North Berwick
6/22/2022 Wednesday Edinburgh Scotch whiskey tasting
6/23/2022 Thursday Edinburgh Royal Highland Show
6/24/2022 Friday Arran Glasgow
6/25/2022 Saturday Arran Brodick Castle & Park
6/26/2022 Sunday Arran Coastal Walk/King’s Caves
6/27/2022 Monday Arran Beach
6/28/2022 Tuesday London Train Glasgow to London
6/29/2022 Wednesday London Peppa Pig bus tour/Harrods
6/30/2022 Thursday London Tower/Burough Mkt/Hyde Park
7/1/2022 Friday London British Museum/Kensington Gardens
7/2/2022 Saturday London Bekonscot
7/3/2022 Sunday London Changing Guard/Peter Rabbit Tea/Trafalgar
7/4/2022 Monday London Queen Elizabeth Park
7/5/2022 Tuesday London London Eye & Thames Rockets
7/6/2022 Wednesday Fly Home

Spreadsheet loving liners might appreciate my Borough Market food pivot table:

6 Likes

Beyond jealous of that itinerary.

2 Likes

That’s SO exciting!!!

Your itinerary really does look fab. I LOVE Arran. I hope you do too. And I also really hope (for my benefit too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) that you get lovely weather when you’re here.

Sorry I missed this question when you first posted it and I see you’ve got it in your plans. :+1:t2: I haven’t been since I was a kid, but it’s meant to be fabulous.
All I know about it as an adult is that the traffic used to make getting to and from work a nightmare when it was on, so I kind of dismiss it as an annoyance rather than something I should probably get around to doing one year!! :rofl:

The Kelpies are near me! Liner meet?? :partying_face:

(PS I used to be @ScaffyWitch by the way - just in case you’re wondering who this rando is trying to meet you :wink::rofl::rofl:)

Hope you have a fantastic trip!!

2 Likes

Hi @mel- the Scottish bit looks fab too.
Not sure that what you have there is a Highland games- that’s more of a county show with lots of prize cows etc? I know very little about Scotland tho.

1 Like

Are you talking about the Bearsden Highland Games or the Royal Highland Show?

The Bearsden event is pretty much a Highland games event with some fairground/market stuff thrown in.

RHS is a big farmers/farmer’s market event.

3 Likes

I would love a Liner meet! Or more than one! I asked @hodg to meet me for tea and she suggested a pint. :rofl: We will have a car that day so I should be more flexible.

This is the Highland games. It has been hard to find a list of all of them plus then to fit one into our schedule of where we will be. But this seems like a good timing that we can drive through on our way to the rental house.

https://www.bearsdenmilngaviehighlandgames.com/

I will buy Highland Show tickets before we go then! It’s the only day that will work so if it rains, oh well! I bought waterproof shoes for us all. @Nicky_S already warned me to take public transportation!

1 Like

Wow, only a month away!

One thing I was meaning to say is that you should probably look into the places you have on your itinerary and see what the6 recommend as far as booking ahead goes.

My sister said she was caught out when a friend came to visit her and they were going to go to Edinburgh Castle. As an Historic Scotland member she thought it would be easy enough to walk up and get a ticket but found they were limiting numbers. They ended up going the next day.

So how about a Liner meet in Edinburgh or Falkirk. Unfortunately school is still on that week so I could either come through to Falkirk on Saturday or meet you on the Sunday somewhere on your Royal Mile itinerary.

1 Like

I’m working on it! I do have 2 days booked off work that week but I’m meant to be watching ds18 rowing at Henley. They may not even qualify & there’s every chance they won’t get thru to day 2. Then I have to avoid pressure to be dragged into work.

1 Like

Oh I used to visit there occasionally when I lived in Reading.
It’s beautiful!!

Good luck to DS :rowing_man: