M&D's Scotland's Theme Park

Ok I have really scrutinized the Edinburgh and London plans and have updated them.

I think we are going to skip North Berwick and take the Queensferry suggestion. This tour looks right up our alley! @Nicky_S or @Shmebulock do you all think this is easy enough to get to via bus or train? I can uber/taxi between the two if needed. (I have the foldable booster for Carson.)

My boys saw the iconic Jacobite (Harry Potter) railroad picture on a book and immediately said “I want to do that!” but it’s all booked and well out of our way for this trip. So hopefully they can be mollified with this other steam train. I’m wondering if we can send the men/boys on the train ride and I can do Hopetoun House with my and Dan’s mom.

June 18, 2022 June 19, 2022 June 20, 2022 June 21, 2022 June 22, 2022 June 23, 2022 June 24, 2022
Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday
(Nana & Papa leave) (Oma leaves)
Morning Falkirk Wheel & Kelpies Royal Mile Edinburgh Castle Forth Sea & Train Adventure Royal Yacht Brittania (9:30-4) Royal Highland Show Travel to Arran
Holyrood Park (Arthur’s Seat)
Afternoon Mel Liner Tea Witchery Tea @ 3:15pm (Hopetoun House) Scotch Whisky Experience
Queen Street, 33B
Edinburgh, Scotland
Anytime Items Alternate Activities Food Suggestions
Craigmillar Castle Makars Gourmet Mash Bar
Dropoff At
Edinburgh Seafield (EH6)
1 Seafield Street
Edinburgh
EH6 7LG
1 Like

Looking at the departure points from your link. If you’re leaving from Hawes Pier, then it’s just a small walk from Dalmeny train station.
The other departure point is further from the station.

The best way to get to South Queensferry is either bus or train.

There is actually a bus that goes direct to Hawes Pier, it’s part of a bus and boat tour option but you can just pay to take the bus if you want. Much easier than the regular bus or train, both of which are up a hill from the pier. The walk isn’t long if you know how to find the path, but can be a little confusing.

Between South Queensferry and Bo’ness I think a taxi or Uber would work best.

Looks like the boat trip is at 11am, so bus from Edinburgh city Center around 10am, boat, then maybe lunch and then split to do the train / Hopetoun. The train is 2:15pm or 3:45pm, I see you need to pick the time when you book.

The boat has snacks and drinks. And you can sit inside or on deck. Wrap up warm if you might sit outside. What I used to do is get a seat inside and then let the boys go out. That way they can come back in if they get cold.

You could also bring sandwiches and snacks and eat on board, although it would be a bit early. There’s a nice place opposite - “The three bridges” (?) for a hot meal or huuuuuuge cakes (meringues especially). But that would eat into the time for the afternoon. You’d probably want a couple of hours for Hopetoun. Nice food on site there.

1 Like

Can you tell me about the Ardrossan Harbor ferry location? I just bought all of our train and ferry tickets today and I’m getting nervous about the transfer times! This timetable is provided by the ferry so I assume they believe you have enough time to get from the train to the ferry but it’s making me nervous. (Ex: 15:04 arrival with 15:20 ferry departure?) Are we going to be having to move luggage/kids very far? Thanks!

I just had to Google to see where the train station is (I’m not primed for public transport advice - I’m always driving to these places).
It looks to me like a very convenient way to get the ferry…
I took this screenshot from Google maps taken at the train station. The fin circled looks like the Cal Mac ferry.

It doesn’t look far at all :+1:t2:

1 Like

Only a three minute walk apparently!!

** Disclaimer - locals cannot be held responsible for the sky colour as pictured on your chosen arrival day. Blue is unusual. Grey is more likely :wink::wink::rofl:
And those shadows on the ground? Bring them with you if you want them :laughing:

2 Likes

Ok fears allayed! I’m ok if we miss going to Arran but we’re on a little bit of a tight schedule departing because we need to catch a train to London. I suppose worst case we hop an expensive taxi to Glasgow from the harbor.

I’m so anxious to see what the weather will be like! We had a misty morning here the other day and I warned the boys that Scotland will be like this. I’m most worried that Scotland will be chilly and London will be boiling. We’re trying to pack light you know!

1 Like

London coukd be chilly, misty, boiling and wet all in one day. Pack light? No chance!

3 Likes

Yeah, we can’t even pack light for a day trip in this country :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Ok first mini heart attack of the trip! (I am still scarred from Disney stopping the sale of APs the week before I was going to buy one…) Last night around 8:45pm I went to buy our Highland Show tickets. Well they offer all the transportation options as ticket add-ons, so I paused the ticket purchase to investigate if we should take the bus or the tram. This was more complicated than it looked so it took me a while to decide on the bus and it’s 9:05 or so. Well I tried to go back and buy the tickets and it says no tickets are available for my dates!! Luckily my DH is a voice of reason and says that the show didn’t just sell out at 2am in Scotland! I checked all dates and they said the same thing.

I just bought them this morning so I have them! Phew. Must be a maintenance window or something for Ticketmaster but they could make that a little more clear!

4 Likes

@melcort10 , @Shmebulock , we have a hiccup.

That Sunday is Father’s Day! Which means I will be taking DH and DS out for a meal in the evening. Still fine to meet, maybe just not a big lunch mid afternoon!

Also sadly the brunch I mentioned has been discontinued. :cry: it’s a shame as it was at a hotel right on the Royal Mile.

If we still want to do brunch we can see what else is available. @Shmebulock , how are you getting into Edinburgh? That might also influence what we do.

What do either of you think?

2 Likes

There are a few of us out there

1 Like

Probably train :station:

I’m out of touch with places to meet in Edinburgh, so I doubt I’ll have any decent suggestions.
Last few works nights out I’ve started at Monteiths on the Royal Mile. It’s a great place, but I don’t think it does anything casual like brunch. It’s more a lunch/dinner sort of place.
Anywhere else I’ve been would’ve been too many years ago to be relevant.

Would be happy to meet up Arthur’s Seat :woman_shrugging:t4::hiking_boot::hiking_boot::laughing:
Might not be conducive to conversation though.

Oh @Nicky_S what a good wife you are! I’m very flexible! My flat will be on Queen Street and I can walk or take the tram wherever. I’ve told the family that I am going to meet my online Disney friends. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I would just like anything authentically Scottish that I can’t get over here. And to be able to get to know you both better!

2 Likes

I’ve not been following this thread all that closely, but do pop in from time to time.

This right here is a post which perfectly demonstrates what I love about this place.

3 Likes

Aww, it is great! (It has been amazing having online Disney friends as a resource to help me plan a non-Disney trip.)

What is a little crazier is that we have not yet met IRL even though it does not require planes or trains!

2 Likes

Ahem you’re like 40 minutes from me WITH traffic.

We need to fix that :wink:

2 Likes

How about the brasserie in the Balmoral Hotel, or maybe the grill or club room in The Dome?

The Balmoral is an Edinburgh icon and the Dome is the place to be at Christmas, but still lovely at other times of year. They both do afternoon tea if that’s something that you’d like, although the Balmoral one is ridiculously expensive :money_mouth_face:

There’s an offer for morning tea in the club room at The Dome until the end of June…

1 Like

Those sound fantastic to me! I feel like the morning tea would fit best with @Nicky_S but you all can decide. Thank you!

1 Like

For authentically Scottish you really can’t go wrong with Howie’s. This is their umbrella website, any of the 3 Edinburgh locations would work (all central).

Aside: the system is telling me I already posted this link in this thread. Am I sure I want to repost it? :rofl::rofl:

I think you said you’re doing the Whisky experience, so you may already have seen Amber restaurant. I haven’t been but I’ve heard good things.

2 Likes