Lyons Family Trip Report 6/22-7/1

Seconded!

That post parade glow picture is especially wonderful. And I love the Beast dress.

2 Likes

That Beast dress is gorgeous! I’d love one myself :smiley:

1 Like

June 29 (Part 2)- MK with BOG breakfast, Tony’s Parade Package, BOG dinner, and the Garden Dessert Party

The sky was dark and the weather was looking iffy, so we headed over to BOG for dinner. This was a new one for us. We really loved this meal. DH wasn’t a fan of the appetizers, so we ordered a French Onion Soup and a Lobster Bisque for me to try. They were both good, but I preferred the Lobster Bisque. DH ordered the filet and I ordered the scallops. DH’s filet was the better choice.

I don’t remember what we ordered the kids (That’s what happens when you take too long to finish your trip report! :joy:), but dessert was a HUGE hit. Remember that my DD5 loved the paint your own African shield at Jiko, so the paint your own Chip was like a rerun.

IMG_0938

The adult desserts were very similar. They were delicious, but I couldn’t quite finish all three. It was a lot of sugar.

The sky had cleared while we were at dinner and we had some time to kill before the dessert party, so we hit up a few shops on Main Street. DH and my DDs really love to shop at Disney, so I had tried to leave them time to do this. We also did some pin trading.

We checked in for the dessert part about 15 minutes early. Check in was 7:45, but we were able to check in at 7:30 with no issue. Being the crazy planner that I am, I knew that the after dessert party could check in at 8:00. I figured if we got down to the garden around then, that we should have our choice of seats. We’ve done with dessert party several times, and I feel like our experience with it varies. The first few times we did it, it was a clear win, but when we attended the party in September, it felt like a mixed bag. It was still better than not having a reserved space, but it was more crowded than it had been in the past. I couldn’t figure out if that was because of the after party or because it was MNSSHP season and there were less nights to see HEA.

Anyway, I’ll follow this plan again, because for the first time in a while, I didn’t feel rushed at the party. I’ve found that most of the Disney blogs reviewed the HEA Dessert Party when it first came up but haven’t really updated it since. The one thing that we have found has changed slightly is the menu. The macaroons were gone much to DH’s disappointment, but there were some new “seasonal” items. There were mini versions of the Mickey’s 90th push cake pops and little Minnie Mouse edible cookie dough cups. That was a fun surprise. The Oogey Gooey Toffee cake is thankfully still there!

We did indeed head down to the garden around 8:00 and we had our choice of spots. We grabbed the back left corner and DH positioned the stroller to give us plenty of room. I think we were both planning on it being really crowded again. The DDs had a blast running and playing and some other little girls joined in too. Unfortunately, they were having too much fun to take a good picture.

HEA never disappoints for us. We weren’t going to Disney in the Wishes days, so I have nothing to compare it to. I think HEA and FOF parade are always a tie for my favorite Disney moments. DH and I are heading down again in a few weeks kids free for the AP Galaxy’s Edge previews, and I am really tempted to brave with HEA crowd sans dessert party. I would never do that with our kids, but I think two adults could probably do it without. This is one extra I always budget for. We really don’t like being crowded and I worry about my kids’ safety and the ability for them to see in the massive crowds.

Thankfully, the garden was not crowded this time and there were even more space in the back once the fireworks started and everyone else surged forward. It is still worth the cost for us.

Afterwards, we swam upstream against the crowds to PPF. DD3 had fallen asleep but we roused her enough to experience one of her favorites rides again.

The DDs zonked on the way out of the park. DH and I were dreading attempting the bus with the post fireworks crowd and two sleeping DDs. We knew it would be expensive, but we decided to see if we could snag a Minnie Van. A Minnie Van driver once told us to start searching as soon as you exit the tunnel by the train station. Sure enough, we miraculously got one. When we got to the pick up, other people there were still trying to get a Minnie Van and we thanked our lucky stars. We probably waited on the Minnie Van as long as we would have waited for a bus, but at least we had space. DH probably felt that was the best $40 we spent the whole trip. :rofl: It kind of killed me to pay that, but it was really nice to not be crammed in the bus.

After we got back to AKL, DH headed out to buy another suitcase from Walmart. We had had a disagreement about bringing an extra suitcase(I know his WDW spending habits. :laughing:), and there was no way everything was going to fit. On day 1, he had bought the girls giant Eeyore’s and they alone would take up most of the space. :grimacing: DH’s report on the nearest Walmart to AKL was that is was bustling at midnight but a little sketchy. I’m pretty sure after this, he won’t give me a hard time about bringing an extra suitcase. :rofl: I’m also not sure that we will travel for almost two and a half weeks straight again.There was just too much stuff needed for a week at the beach, a wedding, and then Disney! It was downright embarrassing when it was time to check out.

I don’t think the girls and I even heard DH come back into the room we were all sleeping so hard. We had one day of fun left, but everyone was running on empty. I was super glad that we didn’t have anything planned until 9:00AM!

16 Likes

You must have needed a vacation from your vacation when you got back!

Last time we did Disney, we boarded a crowded bus at MK closing to get back to the French Quarter, and I ended up standing for over an hour with my two year old squeezed between my legs so she wouldn’t fall over. I was six months pregnant. It was definitely the low point of our trip. I am going to spring for a Minnie Van or Lyft next time!

3 Likes

I love your trip reports. I am going to be sad when they end!

1 Like

So you have me thinking about the Tony’s parade package meal. Overall did you like it and would you do it again? (Taking as a given that the food will be mediocre.) Do many other people seem to take advantage of this?

There are very few reviews of this - can someone confirm, is it just 1 TS credit on the DDP?

The latest reservation time I can find (using fake dates as I’m not yet in my ADR window) is 1:15pm, no 1:30pm slots. So, some time to poke around Main Street before getting to the parade spot. Or try to squish a character meet FPP or train ride in between.

1 Like

Thank you so much for sharing all the details! I’m really enjoying hearing about all your adventures.

1 Like

@WildernessLodger, yes, it is one TS credit on the plan. For us, it is completely worth it. It’s the second time we’ve booked it.

Yes, the food is mediocre and maybe even bad in some cases, but it’s not why we book it. We book it for the parade viewing. Pretty much the entire flagpole area is roped off just for parade package guests. We have never felt crammed or crushed. I don’t think many people really take advantage of this one. Maybe because the few reviews are SO bad? I know bloggers hate always seem to hate the up-sells, but my family is all about having some breathing room.

Overall, I would say…CONS: You have to eat at Tony’s and there is no shade. PROS: Breathing room and awesome interaction with the parade. Both times we’ve done this with my DD was showered with affection. One time Snow White came running across the street just to wish her Happy Birthday!

We generally plan to peak in the shops in between lunch and the parade. If you have a FP, a M&G might be doable too.

2 Likes

Your recommendation of having breathing room to watch the parade sold me on this package. I was able to grab an 11:35am reservation. We are having a late breakfast, so not sure how hungry we will be. Does anyone know if they will let us share a meal using our ddp?

Do they give you passes to come back for the parade viewing?

1 Like

I don’t know if they will let you share. My guess would be no because of the ticketed portion.

Both times we’ve done this our server has given us tickets for the parade viewing. You show them to get into the flagpole area, which they rope off, and then they collect them right as they take down the ropes before the parade starts. The end that looks directly down Maine Street can get congested. We like to grab the benches closer to the bend in the street by Tony’s. The DDs stand on the edge is the curb with plenty of space! In the photo below, you can see how close the nearest family is. SO MUCH space! :heart_eyes:

9 Likes

Thank you so much for your report! We are going for close to the same dates in 2020 and I loved hearing about the similar dates this year. This will be our first trip and I have been worried about grabbing extra FP+ since that is a busier time so I was glad to hear you got so many. I also loved hearing about your different dining experiences. I still have A LOT to learn. Thank you for all the tips!

1 Like

Thanks for the amazing TR. loved reading it so far. I have never considered the parade lunch package but your photos are making me reconsider just for the space!! Does anyone know if you can use the DDP?

1 Like

Answered my own question when read the last posts emphasized text

2 Likes

@mstreet41, I actually have found it easier to grab more FPs on “busy” days versus slow days. You are going to have a blast!

Yes, @gp2017, you can use the dining plan. We always do! :wink: It’s so worth it for us.

1 Like

June 30 - O’hana Breakfast, Magic Kingdom, A Miss at the Plaza, and O’hana Dinner

Sorry I’ve been silent for a while. I’m back to work. I’m a teacher, so I haven’t had much time to write but I’m determined to finish this up.

We got up and head to O’hana for breakfast. DD3 was over the whole mommy is picking my clothes thing. It wasn’t worth the fight so we headed out with only one girl in her Lilo outfit. Oh, well!

We took the car and valet parked at O’hana since I had intentions of leaving it there all day. It’s so expensive to valet, but I really don’t like going through the TCC. We had been to O’hana for breakfast once before. I had remembered the food, particularly the pineapple coconut bread, being really good. But it seemed like all of our food had been sitting a while, even the bread was dry.

It didn’t matter to DD5 though, she was beyond excited to see Lilo and Stitch!

After breakfast, we got to meet Pluto. DD3 has been apprehensive of most characters our entire trip, but on today, our last park day, she decided that she wasn’t scared anymore. After DD5 took a few pictures by herself, DD3 ran right up!

We took the monorail from the Poly to MK. We don’t ride the monorail often, so the girls thought that it was cool. Once inside, we headed right for Mickey and Minnie. DD3 always says that Mickey is her favorite, so we were really excited for her to experience this meet and greet. We waited behind several large groups and then it was our turn.

Mickey and Minnie loved the girls outfits. DD3 ran right up to Minnie. :heart_eyes: And they all had a blast twirling together. Their outfits made the entire meet and greet.

After the meet and greet, we split up. DH and DD5 went to ride 7DMT one more time and I took DD3 on Pooh. I wanted to make sure that everyone had one last spin on their favorite ride, so I had picked FP accordingly.

DH has determined that I was going to get the Peter Pan float I wanted, so we headed to Storybook Treats as soon as we met back up. The Peter Pan float is delicious and a perfect treat for a hot day! My girls had the Lost Princess Cone and they raved about it too. Thankfully, we had asked for cups for their cones because they turned into a melty mess pretty quickly.

Next we headed to the Move it! Shake it! Dance party. We grabbed a spot in the hub about 15 minutes early. We, honestly, could have shown up just a few minutes before and been fine, but we had never done this one before. There is no shade in the hub and it is HOT! The DDs tried to keep cool while we waited.

Once it started, it got crowded. A lady and her husband pushed herself up next to us when there really wasn’t even room for one of them, and I remembered then why we always pay for the Tony’s Package for FOP. Once the dancing starts though, space isn’t an issue since so many people move to the street.

DD5 danced her heart out. They also shoot pom poms out of the floats at the end and my girls really liked collecting them. I’m not sure that we would do this one again. DD5 really liked it, but I’m not sure that it was “worth” our time.

We had a reservation at the Plaza for lunch, but they were running 20 minutes behind. We were honestly tired of TS meals at this point and the girls were hungry, like next to melt down hungry. When I asked if we could cancel, the CM asked us to wait and then went inside. I was kind of hoping that she was going to miraculously get us in then, but no dice. She did, however, bring us a voucher for four QS meals. Completely unexpected!

We headed to Cosmic Rays where I thought that I would mobile order. The place was so swamped though, that they had turned it off. Lesson learned! :grimacing: DH waited in line while the girls and I hovered waiting for a table. One eventually came open and DD4 zonked on my lap.

DH eventually made it through the line and came with our food and two of the Mickey Celebration sippers for the girls. He wasn’t really helping our no space to bring anything else home problem, but the girls were grinning ear to ear. :rofl: My Greek Chicken salad hit the spot and off we went.

DD5 had asked to meet Merida this trip. We noticed that her line wasn’t long, so we hopped in. We had never met her before. She was fabulous. My girls loved her! It made me regret not making the time to meet her before.

We rode Splash Mountain one more time for DD5. I had always heard about the Brazilian tour groups, but I had never experienced it in person. Holy cow! Now I know what everyone complains about. In a stroke of bad back, we entered the FP line right behind one of these very large groups. It clogged up the FP line and slowed everything down. On top of that, Splash seemed to be having some problem and logs were backing up. I thought the CMs at the end of the ride were going to lose it as people pulled out self-sticks and stood up on the ride near the exit. I had never seen anything like it before!

We grabbed a FP for Pirates and I hoped that the tour groups were going another way. :rofl: One more ride on the Magic Carpets for my girls, one more Space Ranger slushy for DH, and then went to the Confectionery to cash out some unused snacks credits. If you ever have snack credits to burn the Confectionery is the place to do it.

We got on the monorail and headed back to O’hana for dinner. DD5 was excited about the coconut races. I was excited about the food. It did not disappoint. I really liked the wings, noodle, pot-stickers, and the bread pudding. DD5 is a super picky eater and when we asked, the CM brought her a hot dog and her own macaroni and cheese. She keeps asking to go back because she liked having her own special meal.

I think we were all simultaneously sad that our trip was ending but also happy to go home. It had been a long trip. One of my favorite pictures from our trip is this picture of DD3 looking out the window with her kitty. It had really been a really long, awesome experience.

We got our car from the valet and headed to AK for one last hurrah on Everest. DD5 was ready to go. Night started fall on DD5’s second run on Everest though and it freaked her out a little but, but she was a trooper. She was also super excited to spy the animatronic Yeti. Somehow she had missed it on all of our previous trips.

It started to rain as we headed out. We ducked into the gift shop, browsed a bit, and picked up a few last souvenirs. Then it was back to AKL and off to bed!

10 Likes

July 1 - Checkout, Boma, and Home We Go

I got up extra early to pack our last remaining items, and then we said goodbye to the animals. We completely fell in love with AKL during this trip. I don’t think that we can every stay at a value ever again. :laughing:

IMG_1044

Once everyone ready to go, we took the suitcases down to the Resort Airline Check In. I highly recommend this service. It makes it so easy to travel back to the airport with no bags, and if you’ve been on a two and a half week trip like us, it’s much easier to move items around in the hotel lobby to not exceed the suitcase weigh limits than it is to do it at the airport.:grimacing::rofl: After much shuffling, we finally got our suitcases within the limit.

I highly recommend breakfast reservations at Boma! The kids were a little annoyed that there weren’t any characters, but the food was plentiful and delicious. There was something for everyone, and I was sad that we hadn’t taken advantage of dining here earlier in our trip. I think we could have done this one a few times without disappointment. It’s that good!

After breakfast, we got in the car and headed to the airport. It had been such a fantastic, magical adventure, even with the few bumps in the road.

I’ve found that it’s much easier to leave WDW when I know that we have another trip planned. We leave this Thursday to head back for one last hurrah on our APs that expire mid-September. You all are going to have to tell me the secret to keep away the Disney blues once it’s over.

Thanks for reading along with me!

15 Likes

Thank you for such a detailed and awesome account of your trip. Fun to read and full of great ideas.

1 Like

Is there any chance that Friday’s a Hollywood Studios day for you? It’ll be our last day – I’ll keep an eye out for girls in adorable dresses.

When we were hanging out in the Polynesian lobby yesterday before dinner at Ohana, DS7 asked why we didn’t stay in “a luxury hotel like this one.” He also liked chilling at AKL before our dinner at Boma. I think we’re probably one-time visitors but if we come back it’ll be to stay at AKL and the Star Wars hotel.

1 Like

@Steenaca, we are sleeping in (We are flying in on points and taking the red eye), hanging at the resort, and then hitting up Mickey’s Not So Scary on Friday. You are brave to tackle HS. I pushed that one out as far as I could. It would be fun to bump into you though!

Your son has good taste. I love the Poly but can’t stomach the price tag. :grimacing: We’ve been fortunate to get some really great AP discounts at AKL. How did you like Boma? Did you go for dinner? I can’t decide if my crew could hack it for dinner since they are so picky.

1 Like