Lines chat vs TP forum

::Maniacal laughter::

I’m pretty sure when anyone says “pudding” they don’t mean worms.

1 Like

To the original point of this topic…
Chat is a habit for me. Years ago, Chat was how I could get interactive planning. Either the forum didn’t exist or was such a poor experience that I completely blocked memory of it.

There’s a strong community in Chat. I only join when planning a trip - there may be years between. It’s comforting to go back and see familiar posters.

I like that I can easily scroll through and see what people are talking about. I check it randomly throughout the day on my phone.

I have started reading the forum on a regular basis and have commented a bit. It’s growing on me. And, I see there are regular contributors here that will probably be around for future trips.

To me: Chat is a place to idly chat with fellow Disney planning addicts and share useful info. Forum is more research based.

3 Likes

From what I gather from the other thread … If one eat worms after dinner, our friends across the pond would call the worms pudding.

2 Likes

Just curious, when was the forum created?

Re. the cliquishness. I do think the forum can verge on cliquishness when a real question or topic spirals out of control thanks to the forum regulars’ banter. But that’s ok, we can always just scroll through it. I think the key aspect keeping the forum from becoming too cliquish is that the regulars never shoot down newbies (or just non-experts) when they ask what may seem a very simple or oft-asked question. A fun smart alecky response sometimes, sure. But always fun. The forum is able to stick to its purpose and keeps a welcoming attitude. That’s why I keep coming back.

5 Likes

Pudding … pudding, pudding, pudding.

Just keeping the spiral out of control going …

4 Likes

The forum started in 2015.

2 Likes

Something else I’ll add here regarding chat vs forums. I hate typing on my phone. I’m slow. I’m like a “hunt and peck” kind of guy on my phone. On the other hand, I can type on the keyboard faster than I can talk sometimes! So this is a big hurdle for me to get seriously involved with chat, the simple fact that it is phone-based.

3 Likes

You can access chat on the website. Or at least you used to be able to, I’ve only used the app for years. My first question on chat was whether you could do it on the website because I had a really useless phone.

3 Likes

July 20, 2014

3 Likes

I stay on chat for the people but I 100% agree with you on the forums!

2 Likes

Yes you can. I never use the app, even on my phone. :anguished:

2 Likes

I’m the same way. My wife makes fun of me for it and says I’m like our “old” parents when it comes to typing on my phone.

1 Like

I never knew that. I’m going to try to figure out how to access the chat on the website tonight.

1 Like

Wow, learned something new today! Chat in your web browser:

http://m.touringplans.com/wdw#_chat_page_1

4 Likes

I’m on both chat and the forum when I have time to peruse and like both for different reasons. There is a core group of people on each where if you’re new, I could see how it might appear somewhat “clique-ish,” but if you stick around awhile, you find out everyone is super-nice and helpful. It can be hard to jump in mid-banter, both those threads are always entertaining on both formats.

While we’re talking about history and worms, I hope I don’t open up another can, but how did the Liners :slight_smile: FB group start? There are people there who will ask “what’s TP?” so it makes me wonder sometimes.

I thought recently they changed the name slightly because fishermen thought the group was about fishing?

There are a few liner FB groups as far as I know? Is the basement still active (is that the name)? Did liners :slight_smile: start when backstage chat was stopped?

1 Like

Yes, they did recently change it, which also brought up a thread there about it starting as an offshoot of TP users, but I wasn’t sure if it was because of the Forum issues at the start or what. Plus, it’s weird seeing real life names…I need the TP names to really “know”’who’s talking! :grinning:

1 Like

No, that FB group was around before the forum.

2 Likes

Interesting thread. I bounce back between chat and forum so I can learn as much possible to have a great vacation. Sometimes I feel awkward because I’m not sure if chat is for random questions, yet there are a lot of random questions. It also took me a while to realize I could access chat on my laptop. Either way I appreciate all the information I have received! My family thinks I make magic happen.

2 Likes