Liners: where do you draw the line on lines?

This is the end result of the above.

We did a total of 9 Fourth-and-beyond FPP one day at MK on what felt like a crushingly busy day. We had things we wanted to do but no firmnTP that day. We decided to see where the FPP took us - and after tapping in we (ahem, I) grabbed the next one and the next one and the next one… everything we did that day was effectively a walk-on.

1 Like

Okay. So that’s what I was getting at though. You are waiting. But you are waiting by doing something else. But for us, most of the time, the rides are more important than the shows or parade, etc.

Were you able to get back-to-back ride times? And did that not force you to have to walk/back track through the park a lot? If not back-to-back, what was the average wait time before the next FPP was available? 10 minutes later? 20 minutes?

I’m not doubting your method, just trying to understand it.

The exception is FOP. One could argue that by arriving an hour before rope drop you are waiting. I’ll give you that. But I’m using my literal FREE time to wait so that I don’t have to use my paid park time to do so - so that while all the people who don’t know how to work it wait and I walk on the rides in the rest of AK for a while.

Yes. Back to back times. Minimal backtracking (I don’t see the point in that - we walk enough at WDW!).

Repeat after me: modify, modify, modify.

Average wait time was definitely not more than 10 minutes of true waiting on that day.

Yes. This is true. I’ve thought about that. In another thread, someone was mentioning that in order to avoid the wait on something (maybe it was FOP) they would arrive extremely early for RD. This means that they ultimately DID wait…but I also realized, as you mentioned, that you are using wait time that wouldn’t otherwise be used in the parks anyhow. This is why we have always been the type to try to arrive at any amusement park as early as we can muster.

1 Like

Okay. Got it. That’s pretty amazing, actually. Next trip, I’m going to have to give it a try.

2 Likes

Good enough. For us, I only do shows/parades/etc that we want to do. I never do something we wouldn’t normally do just to fill time - because you’re right: that’s just waiting in disguise.

Right now, with my kids, our limit is about 20 minutes or so. We waited 15 minutes for Rapunzel and Tiana in April and that was our longest wait I think (outside of the Starbucks line at MCO. Haha!). Even at 15 minutes, DD4 was getting antsy. DH and DD7 got in line for the Speedway on an EMH morning and the line wasn’t really moving, so they bailed after 10 minutes or so.

We had great luck modifying in April. We could get almost every FP modified so that we were able to ride immediately or close to immediately. If we couldn’t, for us, it’s much easier to sit with a dole whip and people watch for a half hour as we wait for our Pirate’s FP, than to wait in line for 30 minutes.

1 Like

I have two impatient tweens and a dh who haven’t been to Disney. My madness is driven by not waiting in lines longer than 30 minutes. I booked EMM so we could check off 3 rides plus ride them multiple times and have breakfast! I’ve been playing with my touring plans like crazy trying to figure out the best rides and times to get FP for. I’m about done, but FP day is not until September. Wish me luck!

Or the TSA line - which even with Pre can be a health wait at times. MCO is a mess that way

1 Like

My family and I won’t really wait for anything (other than 10 minutes here or there). We do the same exact method @OBNurseNH has described. I guess if I had to there are a couple of attractions I would wait 30 minutes for and those would be Splash, RnRC, ToT, EE, & Safari. I wonder if I say that about RnRC and ToT because I wouldn’t feel like I was missing much else in HS by standing in that line?.. Anyway, agree with everyone else about FOP. I wouldn’t hesitate to get in a 90 minute for that attraction. I do everything I can to avoid that, but if that was my only option or a chance to ride it twice after doing everything else I wanted to in the park, I would absolutely do it.

1 Like

30 minutes is my limit. I’d rather add a couple of days to my trip and use FPs to cover everything than stand in long lines after noon.

3 Likes

Does that still work for the other parks where there are less 4th FP’s available?

I’m glad this was brought up. I thought I just had cranky self absorbed teenagers when they refused to wait too long in rides, even for those we wanted to do. We ended up doing (a little less than planned) because of this, but overall it did not impact our trip by skipping a few rides. We did NRJ standby (big mistake at 70 minutes). one time, we waited almost an hour for EE, after they had been on it earlier in the day, because we didnt think it would really take that long. Everything else was either FPP or 20 minutes or less standby, by choice. we almost skipped Jungle Cruise completely until I was able to grab a FPP for it.
I felt like I had to be defensive to explain to others, “no, we just like big rides without waiting, so we may do less”. I guess it’s a thing.

Yes, but if lines are too long you will not have time to ride everything.

It depends on the ride and conditions. If it is 95 degrees out, I don’t mind waiting 45-60 mins inside waiting for Soarin’ . In those same conditions, I would not wait that long for BTMR even though I enjoy both. Some rides (ex. Haunted Mansion) have nicer queues, so I don’t mind waiting a few more minutes for that than something like Pirates. It really depends on many circumstances.

there’s always FPP available :wink:

I’d say about 25 minutes. And the family thought that was a long time (they had no idea how much the tp had spared them). There’s so much we haven’t done so if I can’t fp+, rd or end of night it I would rather skip the attraction than stand in a long line.

I never wait on lines. RD+FP+Good TP=Success. If I Do encounter a long line I point towards the sky and yell”Look, the Goodrich Blimp” and run past as everyone looks up.

1 Like

Lines? Wait times? What’s that?

My kids, anything over a 10 minute posted time and they won’t wait. I’ve spoiled them.

For me? I can hack about 20-25 minutes. Depends on the attraction and the heat and the queue. I cannot stand stationary for too long or I start popping joints out. Happened in the TSA line at LAX on our trip out on the 12th. I had to argue really hard with the agent to NOT call for an ambulance and that I just needed a wall to slam my hip into. Poor gal, I was in tears (because for whatever reason this one HURT), and was beside herself on how to handle the situation. LOL.

But because of that and my refusal to cave and use a scooter or wheelchair (because that actually can exasperate it sometimes, all the sitting), I do utilize the DAS program along with FPP. So lines aren’t really a thing for us, because I have crazy messed up health problems. it’s spoiled my kids and at this point we will be going several times a year that if we skip something, no big deal.