Liners Running in 2016

Thanks for tagging me! I am getting very excited about running my first RunDisney race in April. I signed up for the 5k to run along with my DS11. Since my training has come along much more quickly than I anticipated, I am sad that I didn’t sign up for the 10k, too! My overall running goal is to do a local half this fall. I have not been doing a lot of outside training, but I do a ton of cardio and run a bit on the inside track. I am hoping to get outside this weekend because it is supposed to be in the 50s here.

I’m going to Disneyland in September for my first RunDisney race. Do people dress up for races there as much as in WDW?

Yes they do. I ran the Avengers 5K in November and there were tons of costumes.

How’s everyone’s training going?

And in a somewhat related question, how many people here actually like to run? I’m the first to admit that when I’m actually running I hate it - especially in the winter when I’m doing the majority of my running on a dreadmill. I have never gotten a “runner’s high”, and the only time I really feel good when running is when I finish a run. :slight_smile:

That being said, I run because I like how it makes me feel in general. I have more energy, my weight is kept in check, and when I have my annual physical my doctor is always amazed by my vital stats. I guess running is more of a necessary evil for me than an enjoyable activity, and it’s biggest advantage is that I can pretty much do it anywhere, anytime.

1 Like

Totally agree with this. I have been a serious weight lifter for the past 5 years or so and only started really running last year. The one thing I can say about it for sure is that I hate it. As you said, I love what it does for me but other than that I could never run again and be okay with it if my health would allow it.

Is the facebook group “Liners Run Disney” still active? And is it really the liners on here?

I don’t know on either count. If it’s like the Liners FB group, it’s a mix of Forum people, Chat people, and a few people who have actually not used any TP services at all.

OK, I just posted a response to the other thread before I saw the link to this one - YAY, only 200 and something days till I am home for my first runDisney event and first 1/2 Marathon!

1 Like

I’ve never participated in a Run Disney event before. The plan was to do the Wine and Dine 5K with my 2 youngest and possibly the half for myself. One of the advantages to this race is that they wouldn’t miss school. With the changes I am considering running the 10K and having them do the kids races. Will I have time to do the 10K, get back to the resort and then get the kids to their races in the same day? We’re staying and AKL and will have a car, so I can use whatever is easier. I could have them do the kids races on Friday if not, but then we might as well just all do the 5K together and either I skip the 10K or do both races. Anyone ever do a 5k/10k and then successfully get their kids to the kids race?

I would contact RunDisney 407-939-4786 to see what they think about this. At first glance one might think that this would be possible, but the big issue I see is that although the 10K and 5K start early, your particular corral may start significantly later. That, and then dealing with the crowds at the finish area and then trying to get back to the resort in time may be cutting things close.

Greetings fellow Liner Runners! I hope your training plans are going well - for those of you prepping for The Dark Side, the end is in sight.

Just a friendly reminder to never, never, never run a race in new shoes. I was breaking in a new pair today, and despite it just being a 3 mile recovery run I still had some hot spots on my feet. I would hate to think what would have happened if I were doing a half marathon at race pace…

Hey there my Liner friends. I am totally freaking out right now. Preparing to register for W & D 1/2 tomorrow - when I go on the runDisney site, I click on the Registration tab. When I scroll down, I click on the link that says Learn more link next to Walt Disney World Annual Passholder. All I get is a blank page - HHHEEELLLLLPPPPP!!!

OK, so I cleared my cache and opened an incognito page and got it to load, but I still don’t see a link anywhere to actually register. Where will I find it?

Perhaps the registration link does not appear until registration officially opens?

OK - I am so nervous, as this is my first time (obviously, LOL). I have a non-AP friend who is registering next week and she has me all stressed out worrying that she is not going to get a spot.

Check out Registration Steps for a RunDisney Event | TouringPlans.com Blog - it covers the steps for registering for a RunDisney event and might help to allay your worries.

Thank you! That was the most helpful info I have gotten regsrding the process / what to expect. I’m IN!! :smile: Now I just have to hope my non-AP friend that I’m running with can get hers next week.

This is slightly unrelated, but I’ll be in the midst of training for a (non-Disney) distance race when we visit in mid-April. Has anyone ever been in this situation and are you ever able to get your miles in while visiting WDW? We have little kids so we are planning more on the rope-drop & come home for long afternoon rest type of days, but, as someone who is typically an early-morning runner, I am worried I too will need that afternoon rest (I’m also pregnant FWIW) rather than get my miles in (plus it may be too hot in the afternoon?). Just wondering if I should punt my training for 5 days and pretend walking around the parks is enough.

If I am able to get some miles in, are there more places to run at or near Poly/GF than that 1 mile path they mention? We are staying @ Poly.

Many thanks in advance for any advice or previous experiences.

Here is a good TP blog post that discusses running options at many of the resorts, including GF and Poly.

Edit: forgot to include the link

1 Like

Thank you so much for the link, very helpful!