Liners Running in 2016

I am doing the 5K this week during Marathon Weekend, the 10k at PHM and not sure about W&D. A newbie to running but looking forward to it!!!

1 Like

"Was it a polite decline with a look of sympathy, or a more forecful decline with a steely glare? :wink:
Forceful decline with steely glare, light profanity and derision…I should have known better than to push my luck since I was allowed a solo trip for WDW Marathon last year.

Good luck with your goal times, I’d be thrilled to hit either one of them! The 22:30 5k is :04 off my PR which got me 2nd in my age group (my best ever finish among the old guys) and almost gave me a coronary. The 1:45 1/2 is a time I could only dream of. I am going to have to fight tooth and nail to stay under 2:00 for the remainder of my running years.

Since I have no RunDisney events in 2016, I will be signing up for West Point 1/2 marathon in March because I didn’t get into NYC 1/2 and some Spartan Races…maybe another 1/2 in the fall. Not giving up on Dopey in '17!

1 Like

A sub 2:00 Half was my goal for last season, and I hit it in my last race with a 1:59:27. My previous Half times last season were 2:12:19 and 2:07:18 respectively, so I am hoping to continue to progress towards this year’s goal. I will be really happy if I hit it, but as it is a stretch goal I will also be happy with reasonable progress.

1 Like

Good luck and let us know how it goes so we can cheer you on!

1 Like

Hi guys! Thx for tagging me. I’m signed up for Dark Side 10K/half, and plan on Wine & Dine Half this year. Must. Start. Training. Oh- and some friends asked me to do Dopey in 2017. :flushed:

3 Likes

Feeling a little sore from yesterday’s workout. As the temperature was in the low 20s with a steady 10mph wind and gusts over 25mph, I opted to stay inside and use the elliptical. Even my maniac running partner, who runs barefoot and doesn’t wear thermals, didn’t want to go out. The problem is that the elliptical uses a totally different set of muscles, so even though I kept my heart rate in the same range for the same amount of time as I would have on a run, my quads and calves are complaining a bit today.

1 Like

Hi and thanks for tagging me! My first runDisney event was the Jingle Jungle in November. DH and I had such a good time that we have decided to make it a tradition and run with the whole family. I will probably stick with the 5k for the sake of my old knees, but the others will want to run the half.

1 Like

I am running the half this weekend with my 2 DD and hopefully W&D in Nov! First one, so excited!!

2 Likes

Good luck! Let us know how the race went.

1 Like

Have a great race! Let us know how you did.

1 Like

Have a great race! Let us know how your crew did.

2 Likes

Happy WDW Marathon Weekend everyone - best of luck to all the participants!

2 Likes

Note - I composed this post while doing a 12mi training run this morning (2:22:24 - not feeling it today). It seemed brilliant at the time, so hopefully it will make sense now that I am actually typing it out. :smile:

Essential Running Tips

Here are some basic running tips that I have pulled together from a variety of sources. There is nothing controversial here, and they should help everyone, from the beginning runner to the super marathoner.

Hydration:
You should consume 6-8 oz of water every 20 minutes when you are running. Additionally, you should stay well hydrated throughout the day, whether you are running or not - a good guideline here is to drink enough so that your pee is always a light straw color. Also, don’t carry a water bottle (or anything else for that matter) in your hands when running - use a hydration belt so that your arms stay loose and relaxed.

Stretching:
Repeat after me: “I will not stretch before going out for a run.” Although current research is questioning the overall effectiveness of stretching to avoid injury, pretty much everyone is in agreement that stretching should be done after exercise, when your muscles are warm. Before a run, you can do some “body looseners” that free up your joints without stretching - check out ChiRunning Body Looseners and Dynamic Warm-up Exercises for Runners - YouTube for an example.

Overtraining:
Most overtraining is not from running too far or running too often, but from running too fast. In general, training runs should be done at a “conversational pace”, i.e. you should be able to carry on a conversation while running. A good test is to say the Pledge of Allegiance out loud while running - if you can get through it at a normal cadence without gasping for breath then you are at (or below) conversational pace. Heart rate monitoring is another way to make sure that you are not overtraining. I use a Polar H7 heart rate sensor with the Runmeter app on my iPhone to make sure I stay within the 70-80% MHR zone - the app gives me audio warnings when I am over (or under) training.

Bonus Tip - Never have your shoelaces become untied during a run again! After tying a standard bow, gather together all of the loose laces and tuck them under one of the laces crossing the shoe, like this:

Happy running!

3 Likes

Congrats to everyone who ran this weekend! It’s been fun following along from home - and also a good motivator for Princess training!

1 Like

I’m running the Princess 10k and the Star Wars 10k. I’m really excited to see what they have planned for the Star Wars races!

1 Like

I am running the orincess 5k, 10k and half. Right now signed upfront Star Wars 10k. Thinking of adding the half too!

DH and I ran our first Run Disney races this week at Marathon Weekend. We did the 5K and 10K and while we were there, we decided immediately to start training for the 1/2 next year. We also bought APs (Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday to us) and we are considering Wine and Dine.

1 Like