Liner Breakfast Club: 603 Chapter

Here in Tacoma, you often see people rocking the 253.

4 Likes

Yep, same in Houston. They tried to do a geographic split in 1996 with the suburbs getting their own, but all the cell phones were left with the old area code, so we were having to dial 10 digits for a good portion of local calls anyway. Then they added a third overlay area code in 1999 and we went fully to 10 digits.

Conversely, growing up my entire town was 218-751-####. We did have to dial the last 7 digits, but the phone book was only printed showing the relevant 4 digits. Then 218-755-#### got added, and the phone books had 5 digits. Everything was just listed as 1-#### or 5-####.

DM just moved here from MN with her 218 number. One of our local area codes is 281. She is constantly having to assure people it’s really 218 when they think it’s a typo for 281.

3 Likes

that’s actually pretty hilarious.

3 Likes

In my neck of the woods, it used to be that if you were calling the same area code, you didn’t need to dial the area code. That changed for us in 2019 when they did a 341 overlay within the 510 and 925 areas. I still get confused when I have to physically punch in the numbers to call someone in the 510 area code!

Anyhow, if there are Liners in the 510, 341, 925, 415, 628, 650, 408, 669, and 707 (San Francisco Bay Area), I would love to have breakfast with you! Any Liners in those area codes?

1 Like

I had no idea some places didn’t have to use the full 10 digits to dial a number. We’ve had to do that here for at least 20 years I think.

1 Like

In all of Maine you only need 7 digits since it’s all 207. But in Pittsburgh alone, we had 2 different area codes and needed 10 digits. :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

It just never occurred to me that using the 10 digits was a result of multiple area codes in just my geographic location. I thought it was just now the US has to use 10 period. Charlotte metro area split from 704 to add 980 in the early 2000s.

2 Likes

FWIW, my parents’ cabin in Canada still had an actual party line until a few years ago. (They dropped it after they got international cell phone plans, so that area may still use them for all I know.)

1 Like

Any Oklahoma liners out there?!?! I would love to chat disney with someone other than my husband and one friend that likes it LOL

2 Likes

I’m a 918 phone number, but don’t live there anymore. :cry: