Liner Breakfast Club: 603 Chapter

I am unfamiliar with that! (I know who Glenn Miller is, just not that song I don’t think)

Hehe here I thought you were batting 1000 tonight on mixups

LOL

I stand corrected!!

1 Like

It wouldn’t have been shocking :rofl::rofl:

Haven’t heard of Transylvania 65000 before, but I LLLUUURVE Jeff Goldblum so I’ll have to look for it.

1 Like

You would know it if you heard it I’m sure.

1 Like

Oh yup.

Just gave it a listen. Did not know it by the name! :smiley: Definitely know the tune!

1 Like

When I made my account in 2007 I had six people in my family. Now I have six kids.

3 Likes

PA6-5000 was the telephone number of the Hotel Pennsylvania in New York at the time Glenn Miller recorded the tune, and still is today. The hotel’s ballroom was a popular spot for big bands to play. It may have been swank back in the day but it’s been a dump for years.

EDIT: the hotel is going to be demolished and the contents have already been sold off. Dave Barry once described the rooms as having walls made from compressed dirt, so it doesn’t sound like much of a loss.

5 Likes

Our US mobile phone numbers use the same format as the old land lines

###-###-####

The first 3 digits (“area code”) are still assigned geographically, but you can usually keep the same mobile number even if you move out of the area.

3 Likes

This is me just now learning that some states have the same area code throughout :scream:

1 Like

Our mobile phone numbers all start 07 but after the at they are just random.

2 Likes

And actually in some states (ahem, NH)we now have to use the area code even for in-state calls due to the new National suicide prevention hotline.

We are small but mighty

If the 603 chapter ever becomes a New England chapter, I’ll be there!

1 Like

What! Jealous! I still retain a 603 phone number! Count me in for the next 603/617/781 breakfast!

1 Like

Which I have done after moving from Illinois to Rhode Island. So I still get telemarketing calls from Illinois and no one from Rhode Island wants to answer my call because they think I am a telemarketer :joy:

3 Likes

tried to do this in the 404…but it couldn’t be found.

DadJokes

That’s it. That’s all I have to contribute to this.

I regret nothing.

13 Likes

The area code is also required if an overlay code is used for a region. Once a region maxes out the available numbers they have a choice between splitting the region up with old and new area codes, or adding an overlay code where all new numbers would be assigned from…forcing everyone to use area codes for all calls.

Where I grew up on Long Island, they chose to split the area up. 516 was the code for both Nassau & Suffolk counties when I was growing up, now it is only for Nassau and Suffolk county has two new area codes.

In the Philadelphia area (where I have been since attending college), they had 215, overlayed 610 in the suburbs and now have three more …two in the suburbs and three within the confines of Philadelphia!!

I have basically being using all ten digits since the mid 90’s!

2 Likes

That’s pretty much the same for me.

When I was growing up, all of SE Michigan was area code 313. Then came 810, then 248 and 734. I think even 586 used to be part of 313.

1 Like

Yes I still have a 732 area code cell phone number (Jersey Shore area) from where I’m from bc when my parents were alive it was too hard for them to remember new phone numbers. I live in 609 (Southwest NJ.)
My husband still has his AZ 480 number bc he’s stubborn and sees no reason to change it, even though we haven’t lived there in 10 years! :rofl: (It’s also a flip phone, so… :unamused:)

1 Like

And if any of the Liner 609, 856, 215 and parts of 732 and 267 ever want to have a local meet, I’m always game!

1 Like

215 here… also interested! :sunglasses:

1 Like