Line-cutting

People need to chill as a whole. This is a FIRST WORLD issue and should be addressed as such. NO ONE is in mortal danger - chill - create some good karma for yourself. The one thing that I don’t tolerate is foul language when little kids are around. I do have a mouth - but watch it when there are small ears and I expect others to do so as well. I have called people out on this - most people are good about it - some not - but hey we all weren’t raised properly

2 Likes

Not totally clear on your quoted bit of my post and your reply… I was frustrated, yes… but certainly the gentleman with the strollers was far more obviously disgruntled then I. I did everything I could to keep control, but mostly I just wanted to cry. I knew my kids wouldn’t be back anytime soon and the man was so unnecessarily rude.

I never cussed. I never raised my voice. And as much as I kinda felt like I could have, I never cried. Lol

I just wanted my kids to be able to see the parade. Like everyone else. I didn’t want to ruin anyone else’s experience and if we had been the ones with space and someone else was struggling with their children not being able to see, I would have absolutely stood back and invited those children to stand in front of me where they could see…and I could see over their heads.

1 Like

Maybe you weren’t directing that comment to me specifically, just in general. First world problems, for sure.

Yes - sorry for any misinterpretation - not directed to anyone at all. I get it - its hot, crowded, expensive - tempers can get up there.

Personally - unless it is someone being completely rude or something else - I don’t care if people cut - there is usually a “reason” for it - and is it really going to impact me that much. Sometimes I do make clear - hey - there is a line - but normally don’t care. For a ride - don’t care, waiting for a bus - I may say something more quickly.

But no - wasn’t directed to anyone at all and we are all allowed our tolerance level as well. Also - you snooze you loose - you had a spot and left - you gave it up. Compassion does come pack to you if for now other reason you feel superior - HA

1 Like

:slight_smile:

I appreciate the dose of realism and wisdom you often impart on the boards here. I believe it was also you who commented on the thread about planning each and every snack. I got a hearty laugh out of that. :slight_smile:

And yes, this line-cutting thing: it’s not like hundreds and hundreds of people are jumping lines in front of a few people. It’s quite the opposite. Dwelling on a half-dozen people getting into a line far ahead of oneself is just a great way to ruin your own day. It’s like when people (coughMyMothercough) get bent out of shape when someone around them is driving somewhat impatiently and maybe driving up the shoulder of a traffic jam…Instead of getting mad that someone is “getting ahead” of me and deciding that person is a jerk or whatnot, I try to think of all the reasons why maybe they’re doing that… maybe they have to poop, maybe they have a toddler in the car that has to poop, maybe there’s a sick child in the car and they’re rushing to the doctor/hospital, maybe they’re trying to stop the person they secretly love before they get on a plane to confess their undying affections, there’s any number of reasons why someone might jump a line somewhere and dwelling on the “jerkiness” of the behavior does nothing but ruin your own day. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks. I’m old and surly - and can relate to the “have to poop” notion - HA.

I get my temperament from my Wife - she is the queen of “let it go”. Yes it is annoying etc. But everything needs to be taken in context. You never know what is going on in someone’s life. Perhaps there is an issue - perhaps they are just a mean person. If they are having a problem - why not help them out. If they are mean - just stay away from crazy.

1 Like

And sometimes they’re just jerks😀

5 Likes

Given the crowd, there wasn’t any way the dude was ever making it back there. He probably would have had a hard time even finding us. Not long after that, the CMs started allowing people into the non-taped areas. This was 4th of July we’re talking about, crowd level 11. To be saving places for other people with a crowd like that would have made us a bit… unpopular with the people around us.

On a regular night, where there was room to navigate a bit, I would agree & offer to hold the spot for a time. But this wasn’t a normal circumstance.

1 Like

Also true.

But we choose how we feel about something–nobody makes us feel anything. So I just try to choose to not let the seemingly rude actions of others affect me. Life is too short! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agreed!! Someone can only bother you if you let them

1 Like

Seems to me that there are two different issues now being discussed. Line-cutting, and saving spots for parades/FWs/shows. Just like line-cutting, should one person be permitted to hold multiple spots for an entire family? For how long? Tough call, not as intuitive/obvious as the line-cutting issue. I’m genuinely interested in what other think about that. One dude with strollers saving 10 spots for over an hour so that the rest of the family can show up 5 minutes ahead of time doesn’t seem right. But saving 2 spots briefly while a little one goes to the bathroom seems okay. But where does one draw a very fuzzy line?

Again, in my instance (4th of July FWs), there wasn’t any getting in or out of that spot not long after it was vacated.

I love this! I try to make excuses for people too(usually) to try to make myself calmer. Will definitely add this as a possibility. Brings a smile to my face!

3 Likes

I stopped reading all the replies when I realized I was agreeing with all of them. I think for me this is just one of those not black and white issues, completely depending on the situation. Our scenario: me, my DH and our DS5 had a FP+ for Soarin, and the FP line was still pretty long (this was a few years back). I told him we had to use the bathroom now because it would be a while before we could get back to one. He insisted he didn’t have to go. We got on line, and 7 minutes later, you guessed it. I had to make a decision - leave DH there and go with DS to pee and then try to find DH again on line, or all of us leave the line. I just didn’t want to be that person wading back up the line. We all left, and told the CM at the FP check in what happened. He gave us a special pass that allowed us back in the FP line after we made our pit stop. By the time we came back, the FP line had diminished appreciatively, so we ended up almost back to the point we were when we left and it all worked out.
Now, if it had been something like a line for the Jedi Training sign up, I probably would have left my DH there and then come back.

3 Likes

You’re right, life is too short. Most times people aren’t intentionally discourteous, but some people are jerks who need to be addressed, otherwise they feel like they can walk over people.

And, that, is what they call Pixie-Dust!

2 Likes

You and your son is normal. Eight teens is not.

1 Like

Agreed! If eight teenagers suddenly realized they all had to pee after they’d been on line for 10 minutes, I would wonder what they had all been drinking just before they got on the line.

2 Likes

I agree with the majority of the OPs opinion except for the fact that if one person suddenly has to run to the bathroom (hey, it happens) and then quietly joins back in line with the other member of their family, it’s not line cutting. More than one is a party and thus changes the rules. But if anyone lambasted my wife for “cutting” because she had to use the bathroom, both me and the lambaster would end up in security together. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree about the one person–sometimes two if a child is there. Some of us wait an hour or more. While, philosophically, I agree with “let it go,” we had an experience at the Electric Parade last week that I didn’t feel should be let go. Two grandparents, a mom, and two stroller kids (maybe 4 and 6?) parked next to us. The people in front were all sitting so it made a perfect viewing area. There were about 30 minutes until the parade start. There was a tallish gentleman standing on the right of the kids’ viewing area. About 10 minutes before the parade, he was joined by a tallish woman and then two equally tall younger women. That blocked the view so I suggested they move the stroller over in our place while we stepped back. They did. 3 minutes before the parade, a 50ish age couple pushes up in front of people to our left. My son and I tried to protect the viewing area of the children by straddling our legs . As the woman kept moving to the right with her camera, we stood our ground. Then, she walked right in front of the children–not for a quick shot, but for prolonged video. My son (41 so not a kid) commented about the rude behavior. Although they were foreigners, they appeared to understand that, but she did not move back. He gently bumped into her and motioned to the children she was blocking. She did move back, but, honestly, sometimes, you just can’t let it go. If she had not moved, that would have been it. I’m fairly sure she and her partner are still telling about the rude Americans at the Electric Parade.

5 Likes