Liberty Tree or Ohana?

We spending two days in the Magic Kingdom over the course of our 8 days Disney trip at the end of February. On our first day I am going to try to get a reservation for BOG lunch and then do a quick service dinner. For our last day I figured we would do a quick service lunch and then I would like to have a nice family dinner that is convenient for us to be able to still enjoy the fireworks afterwards on our last night. Would you choose Liberty Tree or Ohana … or perhaps somewhere else? We are 6 adults and 4 children ages 5-9. Thanks for your help!

The only real drawback with Ohana is that it’s not in MK. Time will be wasted going to Poly resort and back. Liberty Tavern is a great choice since it’s right in the heart of MK. My DD19 and I ate there for lunch last May. The food was really tasty but we didn’t know it was one price fixed menu. It was a lot of food to handle during the heat of the day. I would also recommend Jungle Navigation CO. LTD Skipper Canteen across from the Jungle Cruise attraction. It has a great menu with plenty of variety.

1 Like

It’s not just a prix fixe menu at lunch - you can get the all you can eat that they do at dinner, but there’s an a la carte menu too.

1 Like

In early May, we had a ressie for 3pm and it was a fixed menu with one price for “adults”.

Lunch ends at 2.55. I think you must have had dinner which starts at 3.15. Disney’s website shows the a la carte menu for lunch.

I guess so. We weren’t even offered a menu. I remember the waiter just asked if we’d ever been to Liberty Tavern before. We said, “No” and he informed us that it was a set menu. Strange that the lunch cuts off so early???
Anyway, it seems the original question was about a recommendation for dinner, and I wanted to warn her that’s it’s a lot of food.

1 Like

Yes it is. And I’m not keen on having no choice.

1 Like

Thank you all for your help however my original question was which you would recommend for a nice last dinner… Open for other suggestions as well. I feel that we got away from this topic… Anyone have any opinions for me?
Thanks!

I wouldn’t do Ohana, not just because of travelling time but also because it’s notorious for seating very late. I’d probably stick with Liberty Tree Tavern, I don’t think there’s a lot of great choices in MK.

3 Likes

We did an early dinner (4:15) at Ohana last summer and then took the monorail back to see the fireworks. It worked out great. But I would be concerned about getting back in time with a much later dinner.

Foodwise we love Ohana. It is one of our must dos on every trip.

1 Like

Everyone has their own definition of “nice dinner”, both Liberty Tree Tavern and `Ohana are a set menu served family style and if that is appealing to you I think you have picked the two best choices for that kind of meal in the MK area. Being able to catch the fireworks (from either location) is going to depend a great deal on the time of your dinner reservations and your definition of catching the fireworks.

At 'Ohana, you might not get seated anywhere near a good location to watch the fireworks during dinner, and at LTT you aren’t really set up for a good viewing location unless you are planning on being done with dinner well before fireworks start so you can get to a better viewing location.

If you want a great viewing location and excellent dinner (and your budget allows) the California Grill is a great choice. Very walkable from MK to the Contemporary and even if your seating location in the restaurant isn’t ideal, they have their outside are you can go to during the fireworks which is fantastic and has the music piped both inside and out.

2 Likes

Consider Tony’s for dinner (gets very mixed reviews) or Skipper’s Canteen. Our family loves an Ohana dinner at 4pm, but there is quite a bit of travel time as others have stated. We haven’t looked in to Skipper’s, DH and I are going with Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch and Tony’s for dinner on our couples-only trip. We like the menus for those meals and think we identify more with those who liked Tony’s rather than those who didn’t.

1 Like

I would personally go with Liberty Tree hands down. Probably not a popular opinion but I think the meal is better than Ohana. Ohana is great but not so good that I would leave MK on my last night. Skipper Canteen would be my second choice if LTT is hard to get.

3 Likes

Thanks Paul! That’s what I thought when I was reading some reviews. I was surprised to hear otherwise here!

@lottendpr ank you! I will l look at those again! TBH I never looked at Skipper Canteen as I figured it was a quick service because of the name!

@AltaD thank you! I thought perhaps leaving would be a good break but I didn’t realize it would take so long! I’m going to look into Skipper Canteen as well!

I would also consider The Crystal Palace with kids those ages. Character meal inside MK with Pooh & pals!

2 Likes

I love LTT for a nice family dinner. It’s a perfect “home-style” meal in an pleasant setting. Every Thanksgiving my family still talks about how good the turkey is.’

Ohana is amazing, but IMHO, it’s similar in a lot of ways to many “Brazilian / Texas” steakhouses. It does have great bread & desserts, but if I wanted a great meal to end my MK time it will almost always be LTT.

2 Likes

Not having been to either, I would tend to agree with @darkmite2. LTT appeals to me more and I think it would also be easier for fireworks. We have a Brazilian steakhouse in town, so I don’t know if it would feel as special to me. And I’ve heard some complaints lately about them rushing people.

2 Likes

I haven’t eaten at Ohana…but would be worried about making it back for the fireworks if something gets delayed. I really enjoy the food at Liberty Tree, but everyone in the party has to be ready to eat a fully, heavy Thanksgiving dinner for their last meal…which can be a lot. I also want to cautiously recommend Tony’s. The food, although fairly basic Italian food, is good. However, on our last trip, we had a reservation for 6:45pm and didn’t make it to see the fireworks. The weather was too chilly, so no one wanted to sit on the patio…and they didn’t plan for that. Therefore, we waited an hour and a half for our reservation and the fireworks happened while we ate. I don’t know if that is a common occurrence with them, or just a bad day for Tony’s.
Just make sure you make your reservation plenty early enough to allow for things to happen!

1 Like