Lets have some fun!

Appetizer: Bread Service @ Sana’a
Entree: Fish ‘n’ Chips @ Yorkshire
Drink: Maker’s Mark Manhattan @ Flying Fish
Dessert: Mickey Bar @ anywhere

I was pretty far into my adulthood before I started eating any of the offal parts. And it doesn’t make one a higher quality person if one does, nor does it make one a lower quality person if one doesn’t.

Industrial meat packing, which is what makes meat comparatively cheap in the U.S., turns most of the non-luxury cuts and by-products into domestic and livestock animal feed. So in order to get offal that’s fit for human consumption, one has to go to smaller producers and butchers, which means more expensive. So those parts end up in restaurants which can charge a premium. Which is how one gets the ironic mismatch of what should be cheap cuts on more expensive plates.

But that’s enough thread drift for now.

2 Likes

Or go much smaller and find somebody local (if you’re in an area where it’s possible) to buy a cow from (ideally with someone else who wants half unless your family eats a lot of beef) and a local butcher who can process it for you. You get everything custom and you’re paying for the service, rather than getting a markup on the product. Last time I bought half a cow it was around $800 for 300 lbs of meat from steaks to ground beef. I had no interest in the tongue or any of that other stuff but could have had it if I wanted. It’s probably a little pricier today, but I basically got everything for about the price per pound that you pay for ground beef at the store.

1 Like

We buy our meat from local ranches. For beef I tend to get mostly ground beef and a few roasts, so we just buy a la carte. I love a good steak at a nice steakhouse, but I can’t seem to replicate the taste at home.

Butter. Lots of it. And a really hot grill.

1 Like

I’m all about that butter!! I think it probably has more to do with the meat…I only buy grass fed/finished. Most restaurants do not.