Leading Reservations for dining?

To me, it’s the reduced time frame (60 days) and that we’re doing a 2 week trip instead of 1 week. More different ADRs I’m trying to get in a shorter time frame. When we were planning 4-6 months out, it felt like things were bound to have availability show up at some point.

2 Likes

I am so beyond torn about this.

My “F all authority” is like, “Yes, why haven’t you booked yet!” And my inner CM is like “Absolutely not, don’t even think about it, even as you wave good bye to all the yummy things”.

If I WERE to succumb to the peer pressure of planning, my trip is 12/1-12/15, I would book a campsite or the like for 11/21-12/15?

My dreams are filled with the facial recognition at MK going deep red with a huge “ban for life” blaring at me. I need a hug. And some coffee.

3 Likes

Yes. And things could change a lot by then, as well. It might not be as competitive to get ADRs once more things re-open.

2 Likes

It is annoying that genuine split stays aren’t combined for the ADR window. I could see if there was a gap, but when there isn’t that doesn’t seem fair. That would lead people to book another continuous reservation just to get the continuous window. Then while you are at it, you might as well start it early.

They could do ADR’s like they are doing park reservations. Book whenever.

5 Likes

So now all my reservations are within the 60+10 window for my actual hotel reservation. Do I dare drop the leading reservation? @Tall_Paul1 Can you give an update on whether the system dropped both of your reservations when you did your test?

I’m probably going to wait a few more days at least - maybe until I’m fully within the 60-day window just in case.

1 Like

Oh that’s right. The result of that test is…undetermined due to having to log into MDE on my wife’s phone when mine was dying in HS, and then her seeing those and deleting them for me “to be nice” thinking it was a glitch while I was on RnRC with the kids. :rofl: Oh well.

So as of 3/23 they were still there, and the further away one would have been 64 days away at that point (and four days after cancelling the leading res). I’m thinking they don’t cancel any ADR’s no matter when you cancel a room reservation or whether you even have another real one to cover the dates. Is there evidence to the contrary? There was a specific statement on the site when I cancelled the leading res that dining reservations on my account would not be cancelled by cancelling the room. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Wow that’s quite the loophole then! But I guess the free loan to Disney with a deposit is probably enough of a deterrent for most people.

I’m still going to wait a few days just in case. :wink:

5 Likes

I have been doing the leading reservation thing for many years. They never cancel your ADRs when you cancel the room it seems. I usually cancel it 3 days or so after I am in the real window. I am always surprised when people say they are booking their ADRs on their actual day, at 3am here on the west coast. I have always booked mine at 70 days or so out, and during normal day hours at my convenience. I have always gotten every ADR at the time/day I want, not what is left after others book.

8 Likes

This is what swayed me. I just can’t. :flushed:

3 Likes

Thank you for asking. As of today I’m in my official window but I have a 12 night stay but those last two days will pop up each day without the leading reservation. I was considering cancelling leading tomorrow so I could book the polar patio at blizzard beach at 70 days out in case those also go fast. I think it sounds worth it. Now what time does the WDW-PLAY line open?
Edit also might be better to cancel earlier than later if they do go away. Have a better chance of getting em back?

2 Likes

I’m gonna give it a go…stay tuned.

All it says is FP+ will be cancelled…nothing about dining…

2 Likes

2 Likes

And the conclusion is all dining reservations officially still standing as of right now.

5 Likes

Another thing I can add, regarding timing of refund after cancelling the leading reservation, is that with a Disney Gift Card, I cancelled in the morning for this latest test, and the money was back on the card first thing next morning. I’ve also seen it go back on a couple hours later the same day before. I’ve heard it can take up to a few business days if using a CC or DC.

1 Like

Thanks…it does take them a bit in my experience with CC’s. But my Debit card is super fast because my credit union gives me the money as soon as they get notice it’s coming. DLP took a long time last summer because of covid. That was like 6 weeks and I had to call about the initial deposit I had paid for my MIL with Paypal because they didn’t refund that at all until I pointed it out.

1 Like

Thank you all for investigating this. I’ve still got 10 days to be fully within the 60 day window, but it’s been making me nervous that all of my planning could have been for naught. Still feel a little guilty about this leading reservation thing, but :woman_shrugging:t2:.

4 Likes

Why do you need to cancel the leading reservation to book the polar patio? Are you worried they will say something about the overlapping reservations?

1 Like

Yes, I was.

1 Like

Hmm. Maybe I need to plan on BB later in our trip so I can cancel the leading first too. It’s a split stay, 3 nights at BWV, 6 nights at Kidani, so I can’t cancel until I’m in that Kidani window.

1 Like

Or maybe I unlink everything…BWV was through UT and Kidani through DVC.

1 Like