Layoffs at TouringPlans?

So does that side of things drive people into using the app?

What I mean is, when I look at other fan forums, I see a growing tendency for people to ignore crowd calendars, for example. Even Liners here on the forums increasingly say “ignore the crowd calendar, a good touring plan beats a low crowd prediction”. People just don’t seem to believe predictions of crowds anymore.

Surely articles and blogs about the parks and how to make the most of them will also drive people to use the app, the touring plans and also to using them as a TA? And also to buying the guide in one format or another.

Show people that your team understands the parks and so on.

But I guess that view isn’t borne out by the figures. :no_good_woman:

I do listen to a lot of Disney podcasts (most are replays of YouTube shows these days and almost every podcast host has said “I use Touring Plans for touring plans and room reservation requests. A number of them have been saying to never use Genie+, use Touring Plans. BUT I think you actually need to do a level of research to effectively use some of the tools. Subscribers having a hard time or thinking TP is wrong about something, often post on chat (thinking it is a live online chat for issues?). TP chat started before most websites had live chat.

In the past many travel agents bought customers a touring plans subscription. Is now TP Travel competition?

Many of TPs most loyal customers don’t book through TAs (or can’t if they are DVC?).

2 Likes

I guess I just meant their focus has always kinda been on trip planning and not so much the day to day of park life. Even though I personally think the travel agency was a bit of a misstep, I do think it’s more in line with their core business (helping you plan an awesome trip). There is still plenty to relatable info cover in blog posts, but let’s be honest TP is not a leader in media content. DisneyTouristBlog, DosneyFoodBlog, WDWNT, etc are all much more current and thorough in their posting, not to mention the multitude of vloggers out there.

I see this as more of TP refocusing on what has differentiated them from the other Disney resources, namely data management and how to use it to perfect your trip experience. With all the changes with G+ I think they have a lot of work to do with perfecting their data and algorithms to make plans more accurate. Disney has really changed the game here and I think it’s going to take a while to catch up.

10 Likes

I expect they aren’t will to do anything to jeopardize the connection to Bacini…he’s got to be driving most of the page views at this point, right?

2 Likes

I agree.

This is the kind of content I saw promoted on Facebook a few months ago, when there seemed to be a surge of new people over on the chat.

There is still a bunch “park life” content on Twitter and Insta where there seems to be less competition from the other sources you mentioned.

2 Likes

NGL this is the first time my employment has been the subject of social media debate lol

I am still writing for the blog.

14 Likes

I personally just want to say how much I enjoy your blog posts and appreciate all your help.

8 Likes

I appreciate that! Thanks!

3 Likes

What she said!!! @josephmatt You are EVER helpful!

1 Like

So, hi there… I got handed the link here and figured I’d weigh in my 2 cents since my name got mentioned (and made me get all misty eyed!!).

For those of you who don’t know me, I’m Julia the soon-to-be-former blog manager and social media director for TouringPlans. My apologies for my profile picture being ancient. I’m much older than when that picture was taken. The itty bitty kid in there? She’s now almost 12 and taller than me. :wink:

Speaking only for me, here’s the few things I hope that I can help clarify. I had started as just an occasional blogger back in 2014, and eventually worked my way up to all sorts of responsibilities and full-time contractor work. Managing the blog was a big part of it, but I also did content for Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook. I may have even tried my hand at making a TikTok, but I won’t say which one!

Along the way, I got to work with amazing people on the social side of things (Daisy, Erin, Angela, Chrissy, Ivonne, Dani) and so many incredible bloggers…plus Derek. :stuck_out_tongue:

We were making good growth over those years, and although our blog and social media side never fully got to be in the same zone as some of the big Disney media powerhouses like WDWNT and DFB, we had incredible accomplishments and I’m so proud of every single member of the team.

And then March 2020 happened. I remember having a meeting with Len to talk about how the news was getting troubling – we actually had an unofficial wager about whether or not the domestic Disney parks would close for a time. Len didn’t think that we’d get to the point where all Disney parks were closed. I was worried they would. Sadly, I “won”.

It was incredibly, incredibly hard to keep blog and social media interest in Disney parks when the parks were closed. Some of you may remember that we did movie nights. We had people write in little stories about why they love Disney. We covered Disney crock pots for sale on Hot Topic or some other site. I think we even covered what I had on my desk. If I hadn’t had gray hair before, the summer of 2020 would have done it to me.

What kept a lot of us going was the idea that COVID would be a short-term hiccup, and within a month or two, we’d be back to normal life. I don’t need to tell any of you that’s not exactly what has happened, even now.

I’m not in a position to discuss financials, but it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to guess that when parks are closed, people aren’t looking to buy things to help with the Disney trip they can’t take to the level that they would if parks were open. When vaccines started to roll out, it sounded like we’d be back to a better way, and we did bring on a bunch of bloggers to really try and hit the ground running.

Dani ended up needing to leave TP in May 2021, and that whole thing isn’t my story to tell, but she’s done amazing in a new role for herself since. We tried to make a go with more blog content. Although the content was amazing, it just wasn’t a good business move and so by November 2021, I was requested to let go most of the bloggers and cut back the content. I went from full-time to part-time, and we did have to make cuts to the amount of content on the blog and on social media.

In business, sometimes you gotta just pull back to the core, and Len made the decision that I know was painful for him to let me go, along with some other folks. Brian has made a public statement as mentioned above. I’ve been public about it. Ivonne from the social media side has also made a public statement. I believe that’s everyone who has shared publicly, so I’ll leave it at that.

There’s still a group of really amazing bloggers like Erin and Joe…and yes, Derek as well… who are staying on at this time. Chrissy has really stepped up to keep the incredible social media stuff going. The things you love about TouringPlans aren’t going anywhere – there’s still lots of work going on to make sure everyone has the best tools for vacation planning, and even some stuff that will hopefully bring a smile to your face.

Speaking only for myself, although I’m sad to be leaving TouringPlans on 12/31, I’m also incredibly excited at the opportunities I’ve got on the horizon. I have only the best wishes for Len, and everyone at TouringPlans. They’re cool folks, and I’m happy to have hung out with them and been paid for it for such a long time.

That said, I know it’s going to be a time with a lot of…is “shrinking pains” a thing? There’s going to be a lot of adjustments as people take on new responsibilities and try to find that perfect balance. So please give 'em all lots of love and support and know that, at least from my view, everyone on all sides of these layoffs are going to end up doing well for themselves. Change is as inevitable as Level 10 crowds on New Year’s Eve.

Hope that helps clarify at least my perspective on this – but I did want everyone to know that (again, from my perspective) this has been handled the best way possible by everyone involved, and there’s no hard feelings. Well, I do have a lot of anger at COVID because it truly sucks. I think that’s something we can all agree on! :slight_smile:

59 Likes

And from that note above, you can see why Len wisely paid me by the post instead of by the word!! Sorry for the novel!! :rofl:

24 Likes

Thanks Julia for taking the time to write and share this with us. I wish you all the best in your next adventure.

11 Likes

Thank you for this helpful context. I appreciate having more commentary on what happened behind the scenes. And thanks so much for all your hard work over the years keeping the blog and social media going! There has been a lot of stellar content and it’s still a site I visit almost every day!

Best of luck in your future pursuits!

10 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing your story with us. We appreciate all that you’ve done through the years. Best of luck in your new adventures!

7 Likes

I think this thread is a group of “liners” that you don’t know, but have always appreciated your work. The news has caused us all to realize how much we will miss your, and others blog posts.

I personally want to thank you, and I hope you will have many exciting opportunities.

16 Likes

I read your post late last night @mascardofamily and was struck by several things, but most of all the grace and love with which you shared the story of how this all came to be. You didn’t have to do that - for us, or for @len Your goodness as a human shines through, and I know you’ll do great things. Thank you for taking the time to share, Happy Holidays, and be well.

22 Likes

I really do appreciate your post @mascardofamily , to explain to a group of people you’ve never met they why and how things have happened. It obviously saddened me that several seasoned writers for TP have had to be let go. But it also saddened me because of the kind sentiments you expressed - respect for those who had to take that decision and the lack of any hard feelings towards them or those who are staying, it shows what a genuine close knit team working for TP must have been.

I am truly sorry that you and the others are leaving and wish you the very best in whatever projects you take on next. Maybe you could come back and let us know how you’re getting on.

16 Likes