Layoffs at TouringPlans?

Women and children first.

That’s all I got.

10 Likes

11 Likes

I have experienced that before and it is not fun.

That said, there was no business associated with that group so there were different circumstances that caused it.

Most of us found one another (6 degrees of separation and all that) and we are still connected now. I would hope that @len would be able to give the community a heads-up if that were ever going to happen here. He and they know what a tight-knit group this has become (and the chat folks too) and I can’t see them just shuttering things with no warning.

11 Likes

I’d hope so too… Worst case, a site like this isn’t terribly expensive to run, and there are enough of us with tech backgrounds (myself included) who could probably help set up an alternative site.

Hopefully it never comes to that though - and my guess is this is more about having to focus on their core business because travel didn’t pick up as much as expected this year.

I’ve unfortunately been on both sides of layoffs. And it’s awful for both sides (assuming the person doing the layoffs is a generally decent human). Whenever I’ve had to do it I’ve lost sleep for days, it’s just awful all around. Most people don’t want to do it, and it sucks morale out of a company. Just awful for everyone.

5 Likes

I too have experienced this and if it is a group, usually members will find and connect everyone (individuals can find anyone missing). I don’t know if it would be a concern. I know the forum must have a cost but generally I don’t think there are any specific employees? I could be completely wrong.

6 Likes

this.

8 Likes

Agreed. Heartbreaking, his planning & strategy videos were always part of the prep for our trips…even short weekend trips

3 Likes

@josephmatt are you still writing for the blog? I am sorry, you should have been my first panic attack. Over the years here you have been so helpful planning Universal and keeping on top of all of the new attractions.

3 Likes

He published an article yesterday

2 Likes

True but they said the people who were laid off have a last day of 12/31.

1 Like

Oh George. My brothers college roommate put a poster of some body builder and wrote goals in it. My brother responded by putting this up and wrote goals on it.

8 Likes

We’re in no danger of shutting down. None.

33 Likes

It is exactly this.

28 Likes

Still here. May have a surprise or two coming before the end of the year.

As for podcasting, as of now I’m retired, but to quote MacGruber “never ever say never ever.”

19 Likes

Everyone in the forum please excuse me while I fangirl for awhile.

20 Likes

I’ve watched many of Brian’s videos and will miss them a lot.

8 Likes

Derek came back after a 6 year forum posting hiatus for you! :smile:

16 Likes

Well, because I tagged him- but it made my day (ok- month).

11 Likes

So my question is “what is their core business”?

I would assume the app and the guide. But it seems that they’re now making the travel agency part of their core business.

I’m not someone who listens to podcasts, or even reads a lot of blogs. But my reason for coming to the TP forum was their blogs. And Brian is one of the few writers, actually probably the only writer, for TP that I’d be able to name.

However I would think the team have metrics which show the numbers of people reading the blogs.

This is really sad news. :cry:

6 Likes

I would say it’s the crowd management of it all. Crowd calendars, touring plans, articles about that kind of stuff.