King's Island trip report

Yum! :wink:

Southern Charm burger (BBQ sauce on the side) is my favorite!

Yummmm!

End of our trip today. Checked out of the hotel, had lunch at Arby’s, then headed to the Ohio Caverns.

And now, dinner at Chick-fil-A…

We should be home in about an hour or so.

6 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing this!! I loved reading your report. I’ll be taking DS3 and DS7 to KI this summer. I used to go every summer as a kid (living in Illinois then), and we haven’t been to KI since 2019. It’ll be DS3 first visit!

For those new to KI, it has GREAT coasters but also an amazing selection of attractions for young kids. My kids could easily spend all day hanging out in the kids area. I prefer it over CP for little kids, but I know I might be alone in that sentiment.

We went to the Ohio Caverns in March. It was so neat and such a great little pocket of Ohio.

1 Like

This is true. I didn’t show them in this TR because the youngest in our group was DS12. But there is a great selection of stuff for the younglings as well!

2 Likes

@ryan1 - I am jumping in over a year later here. What are your thoughts on an 8 year old riding this? He will just be 54” with shoes on. Am I crazy to make him wait until he’s 9?

He has ridden the Beast and Mystic Timbers but nothing with inversions.

There are no inversions on Diamondback. It is tall, with a lot of airtime. If he isn’t bothered by either of those, he will do fine. It really is hard to say. If he wants to, and is tall enough, go for it!

1 Like

Moved home to Cincinnati last fall and got season passes for KI this summer. We’ve already been multiple times with our kids 9/7/5.

DS9 loves Diamondback. He won’t ride the Racer but loves that one. Although the first time he rode it, he looked at me as we sat there waiting to unload and said “At least we’re not dead!”

I’d say if they’re interested and line isnt crazy, let them try. I’m also a coaster junkie and like having a buddy since i was doing solo before he started doing it while DH hung with littles so i might not be the best judge.

1 Like

:rofl: :astonished:

Thanks to both you and @ryan1 for responding. I was hoping you’d both tell me to have him wait a year lol. The lap bar just seems so insecure for a skinny 54” kid! I told him about the drops and airtime and now he said he definitely wants to ride :see_no_evil:

I feel so afraid for him, but he is not afraid at all. :rofl:

I can’t believe your kid won’t ride the Racer! It is probably the most mild (but rickety), right behind Adventure Express. I can ride both of those over and over again. I might opt out of Mystic Timbers and the Beast this year.

We go once a year - and my sister and her boyfriend take him on all of the things. It’s so fun, but as he gets older, I’m not ready for him to go on the big ones.

Trust me…the lap bar is perfectly secure. He’ll be fine. When you look at this photo of the seats, you can see that there really is no way to slip out!

For me, when I was young, I was a bit more scared than your son, admittedly. But even to this day I hate heights. The worse part of any coaster ride for me is the lift hill going up, up to the point where you crest the hill and have to look down. But once you start the drop, the fear vanishes and it is just such fun!

2 Likes

Circling back to hijacking Ryan’s trip report!

We had our annual trip to KI yesterday and DS8 was just a smidge too short (1/4”) to be able to ride Diamondback. He was bummed as he has a friend that has been on it, but we still had a great day despite crowds and heat. He was able to ride Mystic Timbers (x2), Backlot Stunt Coaster (x2), The Bat, Adventure Express, Racer, The Beast, that kid feet dangling coaster (lol), and The Beastie (x2). My sister and her bf also went on Diamondback and Orion (x2) in addition to those listed above. We were there from 10am (well 9:40ish) to 10pm.

DS8 is already looking forward to next year as he knows he will definitely be tall enough to ride. He said he will definitely ride Diamondback and MAYBE Orion :scream:

We also saw a stunt show - my kids loved this.

I also have a smaller kid and I spent most of my day in Planet Snoopy, and did a bunch there too.

Thanks for all of the encouragement @ryan1 and @Amuething :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

If he can do Diamondback, he can do Orion. Even though Orion is taller, Diamondback is a better ride overall. Orion is great, but not quite as intense.

Glad you had a great time! We love KI!

2 Likes

Also happy to hear it was fun. I spend most of my Kings Island time in Planet Snoopy too. Couldn’t ask for a better kids area!

1 Like