Kinda new here, getting excited!

Hi all,

I’ve been reading a ton and still feel I have a lot to learn:)

We are going in June and my 60 day mark is Tuesday, so I’ve had a renewed sense of research and planning getting ready to make those reservations.

I’m at the point now that it hurts to wait and not be there!

I’ve used TP for 2 trips before. But planning is getting really complicated post COVID. I feel generally knowledgeable about going and having a plan, etc. but last time we went there was still FP. Trying to at least know how to get the most out of Genie+.

If you have any advice on going my first time post COVID closures, I’m listening :blush::+1:t2: :mouse::heart: :magic_wand:

Thanks!!!

18 Likes

I am great at dining reservations, and horrible at all the other stuff, but you are in great hands with all the other experts here!

I’m so excited for you and hope you have the absolute best time!

4 Likes

I’m in the same boat as you - going the week before Thanksgiving week. Haven’t been since 2019 and the time before that was 2016. It seems like everything has changed and nothing has changed all at the same time and I don’t know what I even need to learn.

I do know that my special needs daughter will not want to ride a few of the rides (rolloercoasters and Flight of Passage) but my other daughter and I will ride those a pretty good bit.

4 Likes

I recommend watching some of Ear Scout’s videos on youtube. He will walk you through different ways of touring and makes everything easy to understand.

4 Likes

Becky from Touring Plans has made some good videos which you can find by searching “Becky teaches” on YouTube.

I felt very unprepared for our trip in December, but watched a few of her videos and felt a whole lot better.

4 Likes

Agree to check out the TP videos about Genie. There are also some great posts in the LaCava section about Genie. The basics are 1, book your first ll at 7am, 2, you book your 2nd ll 2 hours after the park opens for regular guests OR as soon as you use the first ll you booked at 7am if you can use it before those first 2 hours of the park day are over. Then for your 3rd and subsequent lls it’s the earlier of using or 2 hours after booking YOUR MOST RECENTLY BOOKED ll. That last part can be real confusing.

1 Like

Has she published any updates?

I loved them but they are a little dated now (unless I missed an update)

1 Like

Idea to watch videos is a good idea. Even just the popular you tubers in their park videos will give you a sense of what it’s like.

Genie + was my biggest change. On the genie plus thread there is a priority list. So I screen shot that and used it for when I was half asleep at 7am trying
To decide what to get. Haha. Also watch videos on how it works, I found it helpful and to explore the Disney app before — the tip board.

We missed some of the things that didn’t come back— mostly luggage being sent to the airport. But overall our trip was just as great as before— maybe better because we were happy to be there!

3 Likes

So they charge for the new Genie though, right? If so, not doing that.

1 Like

Yes if you don’t want to wait in the standby lines you now have to pay for the Genie service vs getting your free fastpasses in the good ole days.

1 Like

So if I’m not paying for Genie+, what else has changed since PreCovid?

1 Like

Everything is more expensive, no more magical express, no more airline luggage checkin at the resort, $6 package charge for deliveries at resorts, no transferring refrigerated items between resorts, every restaurant has a more limited and more expensive menu, mobile ordering is available at most qs restaurants, no parking lot trams at Epcot or HS, Skyliner is fully operational between CBR, Pop/AoA, and HS and Epcot, no more SotMK… I definitely am probably missing quite a few things, but you didn’t ask a specific question so…

1 Like

No package delivery to room or to park gates

3 Likes

Oh yeah that too.

1 Like

I think I might miss this the most :cry:

2 Likes

Yeah it was super convenient wasn’t it?

1 Like

Same I think we bought way less too!

2 Likes

It would be so weird to go to WDW now for the first time since 2019! I have been a few times since then and each time was like a giant leap forward but also a step back toward the way things were in 2019. We’ve almost come full circle.

The biggest single difference besides Genie+ is the new rides - MMRR (open just a few weeks before Covid closures), Ratatouille, GotG, and Tron (plus RotR and MFSR depending on your dates pre-Covid). These attractions alone take up an outsized portion of your attention and planning in order to experience them (whether LL / ILL, VQ, RD, Standby, etc.).

Check out the first post in the Genie thread for the basics.

When you’re satisfied with your understanding, move on to the Advanced Genie thread:

https://forum.touringplans.com/t/the-genie-advanced-strategy-planning-thread/91288

Good luck!

3 Likes

Thank you! Yes, first time since July ‘19!! Feel like i used to be an expert, lol. Now I’m starting over😲

1 Like

Thanks, so you mean for third and subsequent LLs i can make another either once I tap in to my previously made LL or two hours after making it? Or make another one once I tap into my next LL?

2 Likes