Just got back from WDW, and it's looking pretty run down lately

Mickey Views is my all time favorite Disney Vlogger. He tends to delve into details, particularly at the business level, that others don’t. He also seems to have insider access for certain types of rumors level details. But he doesn’t really focus too much on rumors… more about analysis.

8 Likes

Agree with @ryan1. His track record with inside scoop is pretty good, I think he has befriended some people that work at Disney/Imagineering.

He’s also a very sharp guy and has a good grasp on the business and finances, especially considering he’s very young. You don’t typically see Disney vloggers analyzing the quarterly earnings or legal battles. On top of that the videos are very informative and well made!

4 Likes

Do you by any chance have transition lenses in your glasses? I do and it will often take a few minutes when going from bright light into dark for them to “clear”. I’m wondering if this is the real cause that things seem darker now than they used to. i.e. if in the olden days we didn’t have transition lenses so there was no darkening due to the sunlight, now there is and unless the queue is long enough the lenses don’t fully clear?

Just a thought on a potential explanation…

4 Likes

I do not. Just regular glasses…but now I’m wondering if I remembered to take off my prescription sunglasses and put my regular ones on before the ride :thinking: :joy: I never got my ride photo so I can’t confirm lol.

My kids have transition lenses and theirs do sometimes take a few minutes to readjust to inside light on super sunny days.

4 Likes

I have a pair of “amusement park” glasses that have Transitions. I hate having to swap from regular glasses to sunglasses. So, I’ve suffered from this issue of walking from the bright sunlight into a dark attraction, and being almost blind from the darkness until the lenses transition back!

But, I’ve recently given up on using Transitions, for a few reasons. But one of those reasons is because I realized that Transition lenses are NOT polarized, unlike regular sunglasses. This means they just get darker, which causes the pupil’s to dilate. This means they are letting in MORE UV rays. (My eye doctor warned us about this problem, particularly with kids.) Since these are generally used on “regular” glasses, and not sunglasses that wrap around your face, so it allows more UV rays to get to your eyes. Regular sunglasses generally block more UV rays simply by the way they are shaped.

5 Likes

This is so interesting! I didn’t know!

I just gave up on them because I got tired of not being able to see my eyes in any outdoor photos, or having to take off my glasses and not see

3 Likes

Same. I don’t really use my glasses with Transitions unless I’m at the park or another place where I will be going indoors/outdoors often.

Neither did I.

2 Likes

I would just caution people to check with their own doctor as well.

3 Likes

I have considered doing this just for Disney/Universal as it’s a pain to continuously switch out and I cannot be without sunglasses for even a couple of minutes. Did you or @drvillarejos get them online? i’ve been wanting to try them at a cheaper price point. I’ve gotten my prescription sunglasses from zenni before but have not tried transitions.

4 Likes

No. I got them through my Opthalmologist. (This is one of those huge places that used to even make them on-site…although they eventually stopped doing that for whatever reason.)

One of the other reasons I personally stopped bothering to get Transitions lenses is because they don’t darken in the car, so can’t be used as driving sunglasses. This meant paying quite a bit just to have separate glasses for amusement parks.

Another reason? In order for them to offer better eye protection, I had to get a larger frame than I would normally wear. So, when not outside, they weren’t terribly stylish looking…and when they were sunglasses…they still weren’t very stylish. It is hard to find a frame that works well as both while looking decent. Again…a lot of money to pay for something like that.

2 Likes

Here I am, actually, with my transitions glasses…first one is when they were dark, second when they weren’t. They didn’t look great in either scenario. :confused: They were fine. I just felt a little big revenge of the nerdish.

(Sorry about the glare…this one was taken after dark, so the lenses wouldn’t be dark in the photo, but the surrounding lights were reflecting pretty badly as a result!)

5 Likes

No, mine are prescription. I just get them at the shop next to my eye drs office. Mine aren’t cheap :grimacing: I think I paid $300 for my Transitions WITH insurance. But I add antiglare and scratch resist. My basic back up glasses where I only upgraded the frames were $100 for perspective.
I have an astigmatism- mild in one eye and moderate in the other. I have no issues seeing things up close, just distance. I also have problems seeing at night.
I do have issues with transitioning from light to dark. It takes my eyes a bit longer to adjust. Using the transitions on park days means when I go indoors I do have to pop my glasses on my forhead. This is fine because my eyes will adjust quicker without them
and generally I do not need to see distance right away. Within a minute or two I can put my glasses back on with no issues. When I go outside they darken pretty quickly.
I hadn’t thought about the UV factor. Something to consider if mostly outside.

Biggest pet peeve.

2 Likes

This is why I ended up going away from Transitions. But I do hate switching back and forth between sunglasses and regular. I sometimes find myself wearing sunglasses inside so I can see a menu board for example and then wondering why it’s so dark in there.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t have thought of this.

My eyes are so sensitive to light, I’d need the sunglasses style frames. Not sure transitions would actually be dark enough.

I get my regular glasses from my eye doc but have been getting prescription sunglasses online bc I tend to lose/break those more often and want a cheaper alternative. But it sounds like it might not be a good idea to get transitions for Dis/UOR even without the cost factor.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t necessarily say that…just…it is worth knowing the pros/cons. I used Transitions glasses at amusement parks for years…but I’ve just recently (in the past few years) decided not to any longer.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing that video. I have not seen any of his video’s before but he was right on point. I have noticed the scratches on the FOP lenses and the blurriness at times but feel it can also be related to where you sit. The ride seems to be more clear when sitting in the middle or upper level, in my opinion (same for Soarin). Not in the video-but thinking about RotR, Disney would rather keep making money off of a ride that rarely works than close it down to spend money to make repairs so guests can get the full experience. This is true for FOP and other rides as well. I know I’m not saying anything that you all don’t already know. Just frustrating.

6 Likes

I personally wouldn’t JUST for the parks. If I didn’t have them I would get clip ons or large framed sunglasses that fit over my regular pair. I used to use the clip ons often and will go back to them once my Transitions are caput (or lost :grimacing:).
But if you can find other uses or have value for the Transitions in other aspects in life, they may be worth looking into.

100%!!!

Though middle can be the end of your theatre, so it gets confusing.

1 Like

I just got back from Disney World. I too, was somewhat disappointed. I stayed at Animal Kingdom Kidani Village. I have stayed twice before. I had a savannah view but saw very few giraffes. It may have been the cooler temperatures. The rooms definitely need to be refreshed. They are looking tired and worn. I still like the Mara for chicken bowls.
I was in all four parks. In Animal Kingdom I ate at the Satu’li Canteen where the food was lukewarm. The wait times for most rides was reasonable. I had a LL for Avatar. I did do the the Savor the Savannah event and it was very nice. At EPCOT I ate at the Connections Eatery. The cheeseburger was cold. It had obvious been under a warmer for quite some time. The special passholder HeiHei waffle was premade and not fresh. The wait for attraction was reasonable except for Remi. Since it was Festival of Arts plenty of drinking folks. At Hollywood Studios I ate at Woodys and the Totchos which were hot and tasty but the portion is smaller and more expensive than last year. At Magic Kingdom I ate at Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Cafe. They have dedicated 2 of the 3 lines to mobile orders. Not a good idea. The cheeseburger was cold and pretty tasteless. The fries were the same. Attractions were pretty busy but not too bad. The virtual q for TRON was horrible. There was a 45 minute wait before they even scanned you in and another 45 after that. I am sure people have figured out to get in the first line before they call your group. It was fun but not worth the wait. I would suggest doing a LL. I attended the Post Party Fireworks event. It was nice not to have to try to get a good view of the castle. The desserts were pretty good. I ate funnel cakes at 3 different locations EPCOT, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom ( the friend I was with loves funnel cakes) but none of them were freshly baked.
I am not a big fan of Genie+. I much preferred the Fastpass system as I like planning in advance. I agree there need to be changes before I will consider another trip but I don’t see that happening.

4 Likes

I just got back from a quick 2 day trip on 2/2/24 and 2/3/24. Last went in Aug 2018, and not planning to go back until the kids are older, maybe 4-5 years from now. This is what I posted in another thread:

I would have loved to come back and say we had an amazing time. We did have a good time but unfortunately, for some reason or another, crowd levels were insane. MK had a predicted 4, actual 7.

We decided to do AK on our second day, thinking it might be less crowded. It had a predicted 5 I think, but an actual 9! We did G+ for all our rides and the line ups for the LL were all at least 15-20 mins. It was a very hectic time and I felt the rides were not as well maintained as they used to be, often stopping repeatedly like on PPF, really taking away from the experience. Each time it would start back up a cast member had to give a 5 second warning over the PA which took you right out of the ride.

I was most disappointed with the Shaman on NRJ. She was replaced with a screen! Imagine my disappointment, going on this ride after 6 years, waiting to see the look on my daughter’s face when we turned the corner. I am sure they are just repairing or doing routine maintenance on the animatronic but it just added to an already lackluster experience.

It’s going to be at least another 5 years before I can make my way back. And of course I am only focusing on the negative here, there was a lot of great moments but for such a short trip, those moments were few and far between.

Still excited to plan our next trip, hopefully spend more time and also hoping they pour some much needed funds back into the parks!

5 Likes