It looks like we're really doing this! - Another Pandemic Trip Report

Sounds like a great day!

1 Like

That’s totally unnecessary. I don’t have any feelings!

5 Likes

I was looking for this, but when we were there, the line was almost a walk on, so I don’t know if they were even doing it. Never even saw the sign. :confused:

We walked right thru this section too. It’s right before the recording booth. I remember seeing a name and wondering if they were some recording Star I just hadn’t heard of. I didn’t even think about it being someone in line until my daughter saw her name. She doesn’t see her name very often since it’s a little unusual.

3 Likes

14 Likes

I’m not sad to be missing 100 degrees in Tacoma!

2 Likes

I’m so glad you finally got to ride ROTR!!! Looks like a great day. I am surprised you like Aliens more than Mater’s, we are firmly in the opposite camp! I love Mater’s, and feel Alien is missing whatever it is that I love about Maters. The only thing better is the shade. :rofl:

4 Likes

Swooon!

1 Like

Same here in central CA. Although not as bad as where you are @Jeff_AZ (a week and a half of 109-112 highs). No in addition to the heat, we are having to contend with rolling blackouts due to severe heat and the resulting increased power demands! I will still take over the humidity though!

1 Like

I am in the exact same camp. I thought ASS was cute, but I didn’t find myself giggling And grinning the entire time like I always do on MJJ. #teammater

4 Likes

It could have been the shade. I’m not gonna lie! But Mater’s isn’t a favorite for us. Although last August we brought three of older daughter’s high school friends to DLR with us. They absolutely loved MJJ and thought RSR was just okay. We couldn’t believe it!

2 Likes

Also:

2 Likes

Sivako!

We managed to get up and out the door by about 7:15 this morning. Maybe a little sooner because I think the bus picked us up about then. Good to know that when they say the first bus is at 7:30 (for AK) they’re just kidding around and actually leave earlier. Still not sure I want to bank our BG On riding the bus tomorrow though!

Smooth arrival at AK. Got pulled over at security again and realized it is our aluminum water bottles. Security recommended taking them out of the bag and holding them straight out in front of us (also have to do this with umbrellas). That way we can just sail through the fancy new screening machines.

First stop - Pandora. We started our way through the incredibly long standby queue for FOP and got all the way to the lab before we caught up to the end of the line. It was only about 7:50 and right on the dot of 8:00 the line started moving.

You guys … I freaking love this ride! It was way better than I expected. I felt exhilarated and energized and just so darn happy when it was over. I could ride it all day. But we resisted the urge to get back in line and instead hopped over to NRJ. I liked this ride too. Calm and serene and cool. :sunglasses:

We headed out of Pandora, up thru Africa and over to Asia. Where we rode EE three times in a row without waiting really at all. It was amazing. This is probably my favorite Disney coaster.

We then headed down to Dinoland which just seems sad right now. We rode Dinosaur and Triceratops Spin and that’s when things started to get hot. Of course. But we managed to do KRR, KS, and Gorilla Falls and Maharajah trails.

We had a lunch reservation for 2:00 at Rainforest Cafe. We were so hot and still over an hour to go. So we ended up back at Dinosaur just for the AC. (I really don’t like that ride.)

We did revive over lunch. Perhaps we were all getting hangry? Our original plan was to go home after lunch since we planned to be back at AK on Monday. However, the girls decided they probably didn’t need a second day :disappointed_relieved: at AK. We are switching things up. Still doing HS tomorrow basically just for ROTR. But we’ll go to MK on Monday and then decide what to do Tuesday. I think the girls are missing DLR so are wanting to do rides that remind them of “home”.

I agreed to the plan but only if we stayed and rode FOP again and I got my Dole Whip with coconut rum! We headed back over to Pandora and headed into the FOP queue. It didn’t stop even once until we got to the loading area! Amazing! We rode and decided we should go again. This time there was a little bit of a line but still so short. Three times on FOP. I guess that will do.

We kind of wanted to ride EE one more time too but it was down. We headed over anyway to see if there was a chance. We could see they were doing test runs so hoped it would be reopening soon. People were already queuing so we joined them. The person working made a point to tell us that there wasn’t technically a line. In other words you could crowd up by the entrance and bulldoze your way in front of all those queuing. That made no sense to me as why would they want a large group of people not social distancing? Only a few crowded in like that. Most of us lined up nicely on our social distancing markers and proceeded in an orderly fashion. EE did reopen and we got our 4th ride in for the day.

From there we walked over to Africa and found the place with the Dole Whips with rum! I ordered one (and regular ones for the girls) and it was delicious!

So I ordered another. :grin:

We sat and finished our treats since you can’t walk and eat. By now it was after 5:30. We had one last stop to get an AK Starbucks mug for DD20. On the way we spotted Pocahontas and Meeko coming “just around the river bend”. We stopped and waved and Meeko gave us a heart sign with his paws.

We had seen a few of the boats with characters throughout the day but this one was the closest. Plus DD20 has a thing for raccoons - she loves them! So it was nice to see Meeko.

Another open to close day. I’m hoping we can restrain ourselves tomorrow and come back for a nap. I desperately need one!

28 Likes

What a great day for you guys! I just love AK. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Your trip sounds fantastic so far and I am absolutely loving your trip report! Can’t wait to see how tomorrow goes.

2 Likes

IAnother HS day today!

Almost tempted to try for a third day just to ride ROTR a third time! :star_struck::heart_eyes::star_struck:

We also did repeats of SDD, AS2, MMRR, ST and finally made it to Muppetvision. We hadn’t seen this for a few years and forgot how funny it is. :joy:

Lunch at Docking Bay 7. DD17’s favorite menu item is not available right now (cold noodles with shrimp), but she enjoyed the pot roast. I had my usual kefta and hummus. DD20 had the child’s portion of the fried yip-yip (chicken).

We wanted to do MFSR but didn’t want to wait more than 30 minutes. HS definitely felt busier than it did on Friday. DD20 wanted to shop so we left her to it and headed “home”.

Happy to have some down time this afternoon!

21 Likes

Amazing BGs for you this trip! Congrats! It almost makes up for not getting one at DL …

Did you end up moving rooms? Those savanna shots are gorgeous!

5 Likes

It certainly is not so painful now that I’ve actually ridden the ride! :joy:

We did not switch rooms. This view definitely has its advantages. The savanna is smaller so not as much space for the animals to roam. If they’re out there we can usually see them. Lots of different smaller animals. The downside is none of the larger animals come into this savanna. So no giraffes or zebras or wildebeest or ankole cattle etc. Part of me wishes I had asked for a different room before we even arrived (when I called to make sure the room number assigned was savanna view). But we have enjoyed the animals we’re seeing. And there’s almost always something right in front of us.

7 Likes

I almost forgot! Speaking of personalized signs, we noticed our names on the wanted sign in the ST queue! Not sure if Kate was ahead of us or behind us. :joy:

10 Likes

There are personalized signs on Expedition Everest too.

1 Like