Is there precedent around points refunds because of park closure?

Any luck in finding out about banking? I haven’t been able to get through yet.

Did you get the email that said they are not allowing to go past the banking deadline?

Yes, i got that too. DVC is waiving the holding rule, but while points go into the Use Year of the reservation the banking calendars stay the same I’m sorry.

1 Like

I am glad I know now and can just process it for a few days before I cancel everything.

2 Likes

I did. They said if the resort is closed they would make decisions on a case by case basis.
Our reservation is May and would have to use the points before the end of May or lose them, which won’t be possible.

I think at least the resorts will be open then, but I’m worried I will have travel restrictions for work, so likely won’t even be able to use it even if that is the case. Pretty sure I will be out of luck, but I guess worth just keeping the reservation for now and seeing what plays out.

That is not how I read it?

I talked to Guest Services. They said for people who are in our position (reservation at the end of the use year) at this time due to the closure with reservations through March 31, they have considered allowing the points to still be used later on a case by case basis. Obviously in no way a promise or a guarantee, but I will definitely call back if the closures are extended.

2 Likes

I should clarify though, some of our points from our reservation are borrowed so we were mostly asking to restore to original use year.

1 Like

I’m glad for you that you got a reasonable and helpful message!

2 Likes

Not getting my hopes up, but I understand that their hands are tied and everyone is trying to make the best of an awful situation.
I will be upset to lose all the points if that is what it comes to, but in the grand scheme of things, there are many more things to be concerned about, so it is what it is.

1 Like

I cancelled my late April trip last night. It was only two nights for Moonlight Magic but I realized that even if everything was open (including schools) I would not be able to go on vacation. I also realized cancelling this month was the only way to save any points. I lost the 16 I borrowed but I was able to bank 18. I am happy I was able to save the 18. I did consider using those 18 to add/waitlist a night to my last weekend in September trip but I have to think that through in case I have to cancel.

Editing to add: I am losing the 16 because there is no way I am using those August UY points.

4 Likes

I’m so sorry you canceled your trip–it makes perfect sense though. I’m stupid and haven’t canceled April yet, but I’m sure I will have to. I guess I’m just waiting for Disney to make that decision for me.

August UY forced that decision for me.

I am lucky that our UY is March so I can wait to cancel with the new policy about points.

1 Like

I’m seeing on Facebook that they are no longer putting borrowed points back into their original use-year, is that what others are seeing? I can see why they can’t un-bank or re-bank points, but I don’t see why they can’t un-borrow since those points would have lived in the future if they weren’t borrowed.

I need to book in 2 days for an October trip and now I’m extremely hesitant. I would need to borrow but it is highly unlikely that I will be able to go in 2021 if those points got stuck in that use-year. I don’t know what to do now!

I believe that borrowed points never were put back into their original use year. When you choose to borrow (and I have done this) you are warned that borrowing is permanent and cannot be reversed. But maybe I’m confused with all of the rapid news.

Definitely under regular circumstances borrowing is a final transaction, for sure. But I had seen MANY reports over the past week of folks being allowed to put borrowed points back into their original use year (only due to the unprecedented park/resort closures). Legally they can’t re-bank points, but un-borrowing doesn’t destabilize the system.

However, it seems like yesterday DVC has reversed course and borrowed points aren’t being returned. I assume that too many people were asking for it but if the parks are CLOSED it doesn’t seem unreasonable to give people a little more time to use their points.

3 Likes

I see – I had missed that – thanks for clarifying!

1 Like

No problem. I’m obviously extremely hopeful that October will be ok, but everything is just making me super hesitant! It was a little more reassuring to know that if the parks are still closed in the fall I would have flexibility. But honestly, if they are still closed I’m sure my DVC points will be the least of my worries.

I was looking at September but for exactly the problem of uncertainty I am not going to borrow at this point. If my April trip is canceled (I know, I know – WHEN my April trip is canceled) I will book with those points, I guess.