Is there precedent around points refunds because of park closure?

I can confirm my borrowed points stayed in this use year. My borrowed points expire at the end of July.

I also have borrowed points on the reservation I booked for someone through the DVC rental store. I am ready to take that loss too.

Ugh, that stinks! I don’t understand why they can’t be flexible on borrowed points. They would have lived in 2021 anyway if they weren’t borrowed.

I know a lot of people are complaining we will see if they change it.

1 Like

Legalities these days seem to be a bit more negotiable.

“You get a waiver! And you get a waiver! And you get a waiver!”

It’s definitely worth complaining to Disney to see if they can get the government to allow it. Even if they operate DVC as a separate entity, I believe it’s still a subsidiary. If enough people complain that this was completely outside their control, and they will otherwise share their experience far and wide, Disney will realize DVC could be toast going forward.

So I say legally, but not re-banking is also for the sake of stability of the system. It’s designed to have MAX 3 years worth of points. If they re-banked, then 2021 could have 4 years worth of points “in play” and it would cause availability problems (which there are probably going to be anyway).

Un-borrowing still would keep points confined within a time where they were expected to be used. I suspect they reached a cap or just noticed too large of a spike and are worried about too many points NOT being borrowed that could cause the same availability problems. I’m sure they have projections or estimates of how many points are generally borrowed in each year. Also, 2021 is expected to be a HUGE year anyway with the 50th anniversary and so many new rides opening. (This is partly why I wanted to borrow my 2021 points and skip that year.)

What DVC could do, in my opinion, would be to offer some sort of room-only credit for a non-DVC room. I would think this would be a huge gesture of goodwill. I think that they are very different corporate divisions, though, so I think that isn’t as easy as it seems to be on the face.

2 Likes

So in a surprising turn of events, Disney has reversed course again on the borrowed points and now states on their website, explicitly, that they will return to their ORIGINAL use-year.

“Borrowed Points returned due to a cancellation of a Disney Vacation Club Resort reservation will not be placed in holding and will be returned to the Use Year they were borrowed from.”

I’m very happy with this and it makes me a little more confident to borrow points for October!

3 Likes

I checked mine and they are still in this UY. Is this for only these two weeks?

I think it is through the end of March? Could you call and see if they could move them based on this new langague?

I’m not necessarily saying that this would be in place in October, but I would hope if the parks are closed they would keep a consistent cancellation policy.

I canceled April

Oh bummer. That definitely feels realistic though. I wonder if they still might move them.

2 Likes

Was your April reservation made with borrowed points?
I just cancelled our early May trip after a lot of debate. The trip was Made with borrowed points for June 2020 use year and they put them all back to original year they were borrowed from and said they will also be eligible for banking.
If you used borrowed points it would be worth a phone call, they said this was the new policy now for at least trips through the end of May at this time.

1 Like

I do have some borrowed points but every time I have tried to call the message asks if you are calling about anything after March 31st to call back- so I will. I was able to bank some points. Thanks

I just called before and it was only a 4 minute wait, they didn’t give me a problem about it being after March 31

2 Likes