Is there precedent around points refunds because of park closure?

Ah. Okay. Thanks for the explanation!

Curious if/when anyone has updated first hand experience with this with the closures.
I am not cancelling yet, but am worried about losing all the points for our upcoming booking. I am hoping they will make exceptions if necessary and allow them to carry over to the next use year.

1 Like

This is the info posted on David’s website.

Basically they’re working with renters who want to cancel, and trying to find a solution agreeable to both renter and owner.

The check-in date for my renter is tomorrow. As far as I’m concerned if they wish to cancel then I will do so.

If I can re-rent my points or re-book then that is a bonus. If I lose them then I’m no worse off than I was before renting them out.

1 Like

I am at 42 days out. That leaves me 11 days to make a decision to cancel on my own.

However, if I choose to “stay the course” and THEY close within the 30 day window, then I feel like it’s on them to compensate me and not put my points into holding.

Of course the argument could well be that the resorts are not closed, only the parks. But really? FTN. I’m not going to go hang out at a resort for 10 days with no park access. I’d be going to WDW for the parks.

Sigh. This is all pretty awful on so many levels.

3 Likes

You mean…you aren’t going for the Creepy Clown waterslide? Weird.

1 Like

Not even staying there. Duh. :crazy_face:

1 Like

I thought of that after I posted. :confused: But I hoped the humor of it still worked…

That’s what I hope too. I only have 3 more days to make the decision I guess.

1 Like

I am 46 days out. There is nothing I can do about my August UY points but I would be ok with my borrowed points going back/ that is what I am hoping. Not going into holding only picks up about an extra 30 days for me at this point. I have come to terms with the fact that most likely I am losing points this year and I am moving on. Moonlight Magic and the fact that I was only planning on going away 4 nights this year, and this is two of them, might be another issue.

1 Like

earlier today I decided to find out, but knowing that the phone Iines would be crazy I very cleverly opted to try the live chat with a CM on the DVC site. It let me know that a CM would be with me soon, I was #929 in line :upside_down_face: Even though I’m working from home I AM working, so nope! I may try again this evening and I will share what/if I learn anything.

4 Likes

Do you think they would ever comp a member a credit toward hotel accommodation equivalent to the dollar value of the points lost? I was thinking I would be happy with that if it came to it, and wondered if they might consider doing something of this nature to quell the effect of so many points being put into limbo for use later in the year with not enough accommodation to, well, accommodate use of those points.

2 Likes

I would love something but I am recognizing that might not happen. In truth, I, like many others here, have been working around the clock on issues we hoped we would never have to consider and I will be grateful if I get to use the rest of my August 20 points.

1 Like

My family is going for it (at least in part). One of my father’s favorite memories from past WDW trips is the even we spent going down this slide again and again and again.

I’ve actually never seen the the live chat active when I’ve been on the site. I would definitely appreciate any information you find out.

1 Like

I’m waiting for a CM on chat but meanwhile, the site has updated its information

I have a future stay at a Disney Vacation Club Resort at Walt Disney World while the park is closed. What does that mean for my vacation?
All Disney Vacation Club resorts at Walt Disney World, as well as Aulani, Vero Beach and Hilton Head, remain open and all reservations are still active. Should you choose to cancel your reservation, your vacation points will not be placed in a holding account and will be returned to their current Use Year. This exception also applies for Members cancelling via the Member Online Booking Tool.

Personally, this helps me decide to keep my April DVC reservations (I have 2, a split stay). If the parks are open, I’m going. If they close, I can cancel my reservations and my points will go into my current Use Year, which is March, so fine for me. But I know that may not be workable for others’ whose Use Years are not so lucky for the April timeframe so if I learn more I will update.

5 Likes

I also just got the email

6 Likes

I just got kicked out of Live Chat and its not active. I will keep trying.

My use year is June and my reservation starts May 2nd, so I guess if they aren’t open or we aren’t able to go, we will lose all those points since we won’t be able to use them by June. Am I correct in that understanding?

Technically yes but it is worth calling to ask if they will allow you to bank them.

That is what I want to ask on chat but #$%@ chat is not working. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Let me know what you hear! I don’t want to change anything yet because I’m still hoping for the best.