Is the skyliner worth a ride?

Our family will be returning in August of '22, our last visit was in 2018. We want to work a skyliner ride into our experience, but will be staying at FW. Any recommendations on how to best work this into our plan? We will be there for 10 days, with 8 days in the parks and no parkhoppers.

On a day when you are at HS or EP, you could take a midday break and ride the SL. For instance:
Starting at HS, ride to CBR. Transfer to AOA/POP line and have a look around. Then ride back to CBR, transfer to EP line which will deposit you outside the IG. That would get you on all 3 legs. You could return to HS by SL, boat, or walking.

You could do a similar thing starting at EP’s IG. EP to CBR, CBR to AOA/POP, AOA/POP to CBR, CBR to HS. Then return to EP via SL, boat, or walking.

1 Like

Thankyou! This leads me to another question which I should have included in my original post. How much time should we allow for either of these roundtrips do you think?

1 Like

An hour should let you do all the legs, and then return. You could skip the CBR-AOA/POP-CBR portion if you needed to save time. Here’s a link to a useful article, complete with map. Complete Guide to the Disney Skyliner (travel times, hours, map) .

We like the Skyliner. It moves quickly, and the several vents let a nice breeze go through. The vents can be closed if it’s a light rain. Note, it will not operate if there is lightning within a few miles or in high winds, then you have to use buses.

1 Like

Yes, the experience of the skyliner is worth some planning.
A couple of options to plan it in:

• Park Hop between Epcot and Hollywood Studios
  • Take a break from Epcot or HS and have lunch or dinner at a Skyliner resort
  • On a free day, do the snack or bar crawl on the Skyliner resorts: AoA, Pop, CB, Riviera, BC/YC, Boardwalk
  • On a free day, bus to HS, then skyliner to Epcot. But turn away from Epcot towards resorts, and stroll over (or boat over) to Swan/Dolphin and play putt-putt at Fantasia mini-golf. A stop at the Board Walk Ice Cream shop is fun too. You can also lay in a chaise lounge on the white sandy beaches of the BC/YC.

The longest skyliner ride is about 10 minutes. Mid-day, its great. The problem with the skyliner is at Park Opening, and Park closing (Epcot and HS). The lines get really long. On Resorts that have the Skyliner, WDW limits bus service, forcing people to the skyliner.

Early August '22 expect moderate crowds. Once school starts, late August could be a great time to visit. Hot, but lower crowds.

1 Like

Lunch at Riviera They have a really great ham and cheese sandwich

3 Likes

All of the above are good ideas, but if you just want a quick ride to experience Skyliner take a little time out of your Epcot day and ride from Epcot to the CBR hub and back. That lets you see the biggest part of the Skyliner system and is easy and quick. Takes maybe 30 minutes.

2 Likes

Another idea for working in a ride…

I wouldn’t do it at park closing, but leaving Epcot at any other time, you could exit Epcot International Gateway, Skyliner to Hollywood Studios (not going into the park), then catch a bus from HS back to FW.

If you had a touring plan that ended in World Showcase, it would save you having to walk back to the front of Epcot so wouldn’t add too much time to your “exit”, I think?

1 Like

We were there opening day and this is what we did from Hollywood. If you just want to ride it, I would take it to the next station, and turn around and come right back.

The Epcot station is RIGHT outside international gateway. I would allow 20/30 min for the round trip.

2 Likes

We rode it at the end of our HS studios day before hopping on the bus to All Stars. It was worth it, IMO. I thought I’d hate it and me and DH really enjoyed it.

1 Like

Short answer: Yes!

3 Likes

Thankyou everybody this is so helpful!

This will be our third trip and definitely not our last. We thought the first trip we took would be a one and done, but… we are hooked and like many others feel that WDW is not just our happy place but somehow feels like home. :heartpulse:

I am hoping to slow down and savor the magic more this time around. The first trip in 2016 was amazing, the kids were 8 and 10, stayed at FW. The second was 2 yrs later, we stayed at WL. Both times we focused on rides, rides, rides! As many as possible. And eating! TS lunch every day.

While I am excited to experience all of the new rides, I also want to do things like ride the train at MK and discover all the nooks and crannies at EP and AK that we have missed.

So much planning to do, which I love. But only because it’s a Disney trip. I am typically a planning avoidant, procrastinating kinda chick!

2 Likes

Do anyone have a re-opening date on this? I’ve really missed that our last couple of visits…

3 Likes

I was wondering about this too. I don’t think it can open until Tron is open. That’s what the forum experts say.

2 Likes

He’s not going until August of '22. If Disney still doesn’t have Tron open by then people might be rioting haha.

4 Likes

I dunno? This thread was speculating Tron would open towards the end of 2022?

3 Likes

I mean… The way the company operates these days, it definitely could happen. But it’s so close to being done… If they hold off until the back half of 2022 or exasperated sigh 2023 guests are going to be staring at a giant completed attraction for the better part of a year… Of course, Disney did just do basically the same thing to us with Remy…

Oh god, they aren’t going to open the blasted thing until 2023 :persevere:

2 Likes

Well, Disney fiscal year 2023 starts October 2022. So maybe by holidays 2022? Unless they need a bump in FY 2022?

And maybe they’ll decide to open the train sooner? Anyway, just something for @Chase1104 to be aware of.

2 Likes

Oh, man, I hope they have Tron when we go, my DH is all about it. I’ll be watching…:eyes:

1 Like

We will be there Aug 21 -30, hopefully it will be light to moderate crowds. We have always visited in late Aug for this reason.