Is June really that bad?

That’s probably true

5 Likes

Yep! I felt that way living in NM too.

1 Like

I agree!

3 Likes

When the kids were a lot younger (now 20 & 16yo) we always visited in October/November/December (early, not Christmas). Both kids didn’t do well w/ the nap in the room and go back to the park. They would crash on the bus, wake when we got there and not nap again. We learned quickly that they slept more if we napped on the go and we would rope drop to fireworks w/ our toddlers (they were rock stars with this strategy).

Our first summer trip was when dd20 was 7yo. We did a girls trip w/ just the two of us for her birthday and completely ODed on princesses, specifically Cindy. I think we “met” her 5 times in as many days. I was NOT prepared for the heat even though I had read about it. There was no way we could do rope drop to fireworks because it was just sweltering in the middle of the day. I literally watched dd start wiling at around noon.

Since that trip we have been back in June, July, and August and really must have that down time in the middle of the day to get out of the heat. While we could do a TS for lunch to recharge our batteries in early December, July required a trip back to the hotel to either swim and/or just lay around in the a/c for a few hours. The warmer months find us at the front of the pack to rope drop, back at the resort by noon and then back in the parks at around 3 or 4pm. Sometimes we can carefully plan one day w/o going back, but that means everything between noon and 4pm is indoors with a/c (shows, TS meals, etc).

As for rain, it will come and usually every day in the late afternoon (3pm-ish). I stock up on $.98 disposable ponchos at Walmart before the trip and everyone has one in their bag (no family sherpas here, everyone carries their own stuff as soon as they are out of the stroller), every day. We also have water friendly shoes (Crocs, Croc sandals, Tevas, Natives, Keens, etc) so we don’t have wet socks and sneakers. One June dd and I survived what felt like a 30 minute monsoon in World Showcase. We waded through water halfway up our shins through the UK area and our feet were bone dry less than an hour later because we were both wearing water friendly shoes.

Another consideration is hydration. Everyone has their own insulated water bottle (we love our Hydroflasks). They are easy to toss in a backpack or carabiner to a sling bag. We fill them w/ ice from the hotel before leaving the room and refill w/ free water all day. The ice generally lasts longer than the water! Hydration is essential and will help when dealing with the high heat and humidity levels in the summer months.

We definitely still visit in the summer time, it just is a different way to tour and plan for the parks than in the cooler months.

3 Likes

I’ve been in several months Feb ,March, April, May, June, July, Aug (never again), November/ Dec. June wouldn’t be my first choice because I’ve heard the crowds have gotten worse. The beginning of June is much better than the 3 months following (weather wise). Our June visit about 8 or 9 years ago was 5/6 crowd levels. I’ll stress that I am from New Orleans so very used to hot and muggy and rainy. We took afternoon breaks on the 2 hottest days (pool one day, naps the next). Bring ponchos and extra socks, quick dry shoes, sunscreen, maybe portable misting fans. March, April and November would be perfect weather wise for my family.

4 Likes

I just remembered the word you need to remember:

Oppressive.

The heat/humidity in Orlando is oppressive. You feel it from the moment you step outside until you are safely back in the flow of your resort’s air conditioner. It’s hard to prepare for that.

But it’s Disney. You’ll survive. :crazy_face:

5 Likes

We were never those people either so I can related to OP.

2 Likes

Also yes this

4 Likes

What are your thoughts on mid-May? I’ve been Feb, Jul, Oct, Nov (my favorite time), and Dec, but never late spring/early summer.

1 Like

That’s when I’m heading back. It can be oppressively hot, but you can also have some really pleasant days too. It’s a gamble.

We’ve been first week of May, getting warmer highs in the mid to lower 80s on average, but not NEARLY as humid as summer, and I love spring time as Disney. The second visit was last week of May, highs pushing closer to 90. The humidity and afternoon showers start to ramp up but nothing like July and Aug. Still manageable for us. Unlike mid Feb - mid April, you dont get much cooler nights.

3 Likes

I’ve been reading this because we are looking at a possible Orlando (not Disney) trip in June 2023. We did the first full week of May in 2018. It is hot and humid, but evenings cool off some. I remember a few super hot days and one of them was when we were in the World Showcase. We ducked into a lot of the shows inside to cool off. That air conditioning felt good. But but by the evening, it felt much better.

2 Likes

I did that many times when I went in July, but I imagine masks make that strategy somewhat less comfortable now than in the pre-Covid days.

Masks were easier the first summer after reopening b/c they were either cloth or the lightweight surgical masks, but the Kn95 are a little bit harder to use IMHO. Just my experience living here and doing the parks year-round. Also, I now wear my mask 100% of the time unless I’m eating or drinking.

1 Like

This is really cool! I am in the maryland/pennsylvania line area and we do get humidity here as well, but nothing like there.

1 Like

We’ve done early June trips several different years and had a great time. I didn’t think the crowds were awful. The temps are high but not like July and August.

2 Likes

Yes, but that humidity helps you realize that you’re overheating, whereas you can get heatstroke much more easily when it’s dry if you’re not careful….

1 Like

Does this work for teachers too? :raising_hand_woman:t2:

2 Likes

It’s not the heat, it’s the humidity. :hot_face:

ETA, for comparison…

6 Likes

I’m not a teacher, but if my employer got mad that I had to miss a week of work - I’d work elsewhere!! :crazy_face: :wink: :rofl:

@amvanhoose_701479 - So true! I visited Phoenix and got severe heat stoke because my sweat would evaporate so fast. I didn’t even know how overheated I was until I passed out!! :hot_face: :crazy_face:

2 Likes