Is Beach Club all it's cracked up to be for First Timers?

The biggest downside to BCV to me (and all of the Epcot area resorts really) is the lack of decent QS options. I love the dining options along the monorail resorts. If PHs aren’t an option for them, I’d make sure they are ok with some mediocre QS around their hotel.

2 Likes

I haven’t read the other posts, but here’s my 2 cent’s worth.

Our first onsite stay was at the Beach Club. My heart belongs there. And when we bought DVC it was during that stay, and we bought at Bay Lake.

BLT is fab for MK. And being on the monorail. With the iconic contemporary next door. But every other park is a bit of a faff, even Epcot if I’m honest. Don’t get me wrong, I love it there. Only my heart is elsewhere.

But the Beach Club has Stormalong Bay, which is an amazing pool. Now my kids were older but only one could swim. Even so, I loved it there.

As far as the QS options are concerned, the Swan & Dolphin have a good “food court” type restaurant and is walkable.

So if they want to stay at the BC then I wouldn’t push them to BLT. Because if they don’t end up loving DIsney it’ll be “your fault” because you didn’t let them stay where they wanted.

6 Likes

:scream: MK is actually my kids (aged 5-10) least favorite park. They like it but they love the other parks and rank all of them above MK.

3 Likes

Poly is the best resort for transportation. Being within walking distance of the TTC so you can hop a ferry or monorail directly to MK and monorail to Epcot, plus the resort monorail if needed is super convenient. And in a pinch you could walk to MK via the walkway through GF. The buses to HS and AK were quick and easy.

3 Likes

100% agreed

Poly lake view offers far better wow factor views-
And IMO beach club - storm along bay is fantastic!
And the laid back vibe is a lot less hectic than BLT…
Especially with little ones I would think beach club is the way to go - in terms of ease to get to quick service and shops it’s just not as overwhelming as heading over to the Contemporary…honestly unless the plan is strictly Magic Kingdom or a convention being held at the Contemporary BLT is my personal 2nd to last choice resort.

1 Like

How tall is the 4 year old? They should consider how much he can do or not at the other 3 parks where I think more things have a height requirement. Might influence them to plan more MK time which to me says BLT. Those are very young kids. If they don’t want “hassle”….BLT is a bit “boring” but when my little girls were ready for a break from MK, and we could dump them in a stroller and be to our BLT room in 10 minutes, on foot, no waiting for transport…that was everything! When we go back in May we chose it again for the same reasons.

When I plan the next trip, probably when they are young teens, I think we will end up in the Epcot area.

Oh good point about dinning. Values and moderates have better QS options than deluxe

1 Like

I don’t hate BLT! I’d be glad to take a free stay there! But I’d prefer Poly, GF, Beach Club or any boardwalk resort. :grin:

Stick the kids in the closet!

1 Like

I always used to say to my kids, “Don’t make Mama crazy. What do crazy mothers do?”

And they would reply, “Lock their kids in the closet.”

I never once did that but it occurred to me one day that someone might think I had if they overheard that LOL

4 Likes

I’m looking forward to experiencing both resorts on my January trip. I probably never would’ve booked CR (BLT) because honestly its never appealed to me, but they just so happened to have a studio available the days we planned, so I booked it. I’m also really liking the idea of being able to walk to MK considering thats the park we spend the most time at. I also got lucky to get the last night of our stay at BC (also a studio) so I’m looking forward to comparing the two. DD7 is looking forward to trying out the different pools (even though it will be january :roll_eyes: I did promise her a swim in each … lol )

Oh, trust me. It can still be hotter than hades in January.

I remember last year, there were warm afternoons, and I also remember sitting and having my drink while my husband took the bullet on going into the cold pool with the kid :wink:

2 Likes

So my favorite resorts are Yacht Club and Contemporary and I’ve stayed at BC villas (1 bedroom and studio) and BLT (1 bedroom and studio) so I feel qualified to answer.

1st I prefer lake view at BLT and CR- the parking lot view (ah, I mean theme park view) is just not magical (sorry).
2nd - the BLT studio would be crowded even with a single person. I was suffocating in it with my mom, who is my best friend. Way too small. They will hate it with 2 kids.

Beach Club will give them a chance to experience Disney magic outside of the parks. Which for a hesitant first timer - this is probably your best bet. Even if they find the parks a crowded mess- they will probably love the chill vibe of Boardwalk area and the many things to do at Stormalong bay.

Sorry but BLT (and Contemporary) are not for everyone. Even as much as I love them, I still think I have to give the edge to Yacht Club (as my favorite) and I’m from Philly suburbs and hate the Jersey shore (so the theming should not appeal to me :). But the walking to 2 parks and the cool esthetic can’t be beat.

Wherever they stay, I do hope they enjoy it enough to become Disney- people.

3 Likes

ok, so from the sounds of it, BC is going to be just fine for first timers getting that full Disney-experience.

Good. That’s really all I was worried about. I didn’t want them to basically get there and be “we stayed at the equivalent of a Best Western on property”.

Cool, Thanks!

(annnnnd now this means I can likely cancel the BLT reservation and reapply those points to myself for a longer-stay during Christmas! or… go at the same time and enjoy a theme park view. MUHAHAHAHAHAHA)

12 Likes

Sounds like a win win.

1 Like

Do this! It’s the most magical time of the year.

1 Like

Let to the party but I’ve stayed at the CR with a theme park view and Beach Club. CR when DD was 2. Then her at 4 and her brother at 1. Beach Club when they were 5 and 2.

I loved CR when I was solo parenting because we spent most of our time in MK where I didn’t have to worry about height requirements.

But here’s the thing about Beach Club I haven’t seen anyone mention yet - all of the Epcot resorts have an advantage with the littles in that, at 7am, when nothing is open yet, you can just walk around the lake. At CR/BLT, walking around the parking lot is just…not the same

Plus all the other things folks have said. Try and get them a cabana for stormalong bay one day. The sand bottom pool is great for the littles, but having the area where you can leave your belongings and have snacks and such was super helpful.

3 Likes

Yes, yes, yes.

The view of Bay Lake is my second favourite view in the whole of WDW I think. The first being the Castle.

@Randall1028 , by the time I thought of it yesterday a physical issue didn’t allow me to post.

I have been trying to “win over” my sister to Disney. What did I start with? Wilderness Lodge in December of course. To quote her “I am not impressed “.

BWV does “do it” for her. She has been there twice this year with me and she wants to crash my next stay.

I’m really late to this topic, but I have kids roughly those ages and I think BC will definitely provide the full Disney experience! And then some! We stayed at BCV last fall which was a switch at the very last minute (thanks panorama!) so it wasn’t my first choice (we live in New England…) but I really did love it. I personally value walking to two parks higher than walk/monorail access plus the pool will be really nice if they don’t have access to sandy beaches often.

2 Likes