Is a ticket needed to practice getting a RotR boarding group?

It wouldn’t let me when I tried before my trip either. One nice change I did noticed was you don’t have to check off each person in your Disney wallet to join the BG, it automatically adds everyone from the reservation. It might already be like that at WDW but before Disneyland closed you had to add each person and it became a pain when you had event tickets or friends who weren’t riding. I tried yesterday in line at 7 on the dot and got BG69. The family next to us got BG24. Like everyone said keep trying!

4 Likes

I love that it “knows” who has reservations and will auto-add. Can’t wait for my hubs to ride for the first time!:smiley:

2 Likes

I tried practicing Saturday morning (couldn’t sleep so I figured I’d try) and I hit join, then hit join again.
It took me back to the screen where everyone was listed and said to de-select anyone who didn’t have a park reservation for the day. Does that mean we’d have gotten a bg if we’d had park reservations? Or would I see something else if so?
I tried looking in YouTube but all the videos were people who had park passes and actually scored bgs - not anyone just practicing.

1 Like

Hmmm that’s interesting. I wonder if the normal practice outcome has changed. Nevertheless, it sounds like you were successful.

2 Likes

I just tried playing with ROTR reservations for the first time at the 1PM drop.

I think I did well - had the slider waiting with a few seconds to go, let go at the second and hit the Join button.
But, then it went to a “you don’t have any park passes” error. Doh, was a last minute attempt and I forgot. :smiley:

So, here’s my question: I have an AP voucher on my profile - do I have to have a HS reservation to try scoring a boarding group, or because I technically can hop, does any park reservation work for the 1PM drop?

(I assume you have to have a HS reservation for the morning drop.)

1 Like

You have to have HS ressie. Can’t hope before 2 so can’t try at 1 either without a park ressie.

2 Likes

OK, thanks! Was hoping there was an angle to play. :slight_smile:

I scored a HS ressie for Friday, so I’ll keep my thumbs limber until then.

2 Likes

Wait. Are we talking about WDW or DL?

I think at this point we are talking about both :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

For what it is worth, I practiced getting a bg for Web Slingers at noon and would have gotten one if there! I will be helping some friends who will be at DL in a few days.

2 Likes

I helped some friend get RotR on Thurs and WEB on friday. Low 40’s BG both times at 7am. Seemed pretty easy. I understand the noon drops are even easier.

2 Likes

I was able to get my friends rise yesterday at 7 am (BG 36) and Web Slingers today at 7 am (BG 38). They are currently in line for WS now. For kicks and giggles I am going to see if I can get them another rise at noon.

1 Like

Just managed to get them another BG on rise at noon! I just wish I had been this good when I was there!

4 Likes

Please share your strategy for getting BGs.

I practice! I also didn’t stop to check if the right tickets were checked. That can cost you valuable time. I figure if the is an issue, you can talk to a cm to straighten it out. I close all open apps before try. Watch a couple of videos on it. I watched Mr. cheesy pop.

1 Like

Darcy, I know now not to try in the line before entering security. Twice now I’ve tried there and didn’t get one. The cell service in that area stinks. Plus I had my Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on so that’s what I’m blaming it on. :rofl:

It’s worth practicing without a ticket just to get the timing down on the refresh.
I founs that 6:59:58 is a little bit early,
but 6:59:59 sometimes was late if it took a few seconds to refresh. It’s tricky to guess.

3 Likes

The advice in @bebe80’s PDF is to click a beat after 6:59:59, which worked great for us at WDW. Also, clicking “Join” about 2-3 minutes before 7am will cache your party’s information so it doesn’t have to fetch it when you press “Join” at go time.

1 Like

So sounds like DL is about the same as WDW as far as attempting for a BG?

2 Likes

I need to get that in my instructions next time I update it!

2 Likes