Is a Disney Clause in a contract a thing?

I am blessed and am in a position to re-negotiate my Salary, due to another job offer. Our company president has made it clear he wants to keep me, he told me as much and said to come see him with what it will take. Is there a way to mandate a 1 wk a year paid trip to Disney? LOL I am joking, but have heard it is a thing.
https://www.glassdoor.com/blog/companies-pay-for-vacation/

6 Likes

I was on the Dream last week and there was someone from Skywalker Films. The company sent him on the cruise.

4 Likes

My parents cruised on the Dream for free through my dad’s job - they were taken by a vendor (and taken to Remy and given a cabana at Castaway Cay…). We never cruised as a family (I still haven’t) because my mom was afraid of being seasick, but a free cruise is offered and all of a sudden she was fine to go!

3 Likes

Listen, my Aunt worked for a law firm in Boston until her retirement in March. She was not an attorney but was a manger in litigation support. Her company mandated a 3 month PAID sabbatical every 5 years. And they took away all access during that time to quell the temptation to just check in on email or voicemail or whatever. Paid 3 month sabbatical. She did some fun things with that paid time each time it came around.

I am in the wrong line of work.

12 Likes

It’s smart from a company standpoint because they make sure nobody is irreplaceable. If you can get by without someone for 3 months you can replace them any time you want.

5 Likes

You can always ask for a raise that matches the cost of a Disney trip + extra vacation time. I know this is a real answer to a joking question, but it never hurts to ask.

5 Likes

Me too apparently.

2 Likes

If you can, I say go for it.

I actually have to resign and then go through the rehire process to get vacation at my job as there are no people to fill in when you want vacation. The company prefers to just pay out your vacation after your yearly anniversary.

1 Like

Agreed! Welcome to healthcare, where we don’t actually care about our own employees’ health. I got an attendance point for calling in “sick” the night my water broke at 33 weeks pregnant :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

That’s awful. And I agree about healthcare and not caring about the health of those who work in it.

1 Like

I am so sorry this happened to you.

2 Likes

No kidding! We are currently fighting to keep our sick time that those of us who have been at my hospital for years have accrued. They want to completely take it away and make it harder for us to call in sick without losing pay. So much for making sure our healthcare workers are healthy themselves so they can take care of the sick people!:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Healthcare and airport traffic control has always had the WEIRDEST work rules to me. These are positions where it’s literally life and death most of the time and also the ones often requiring employees to be awake and there well past norms for a human.

4 Likes

I get a paid 3 month sabbatical but it’s every 8 years instead of 5. I’m just about to close in on 7 years. It is DEFINITELY keeping me here when otherwise I would probably be looking for another job. So that part is a win for the employer for sure!

3 Likes

And the other question is, how much vacation time do they give outside of the sabbatical? If it is even a little bit less than other comparable employers, the cost to them is nothing.

This can be compared with a few companies out there that reportedly offer unlimited vacation to their employees. However, few employees are likely to abuse this system, because they would demonstrate that they are replaceable if they took too much time off.

1 Like

I agree @heidlj. Our company now has unlimited sick time, but you never want to be the one abusing it. Other companies combine the sick time with vacation and do paid time off. Well in that case, everyone takes that every year. We look into switching to that every once in awhile, but in the long run, more people would miss more work that way. I someone says you have 5 days, you take 5 days. If they say take what you need, a lot of people might only use 3, and yes there will be one or two who use 6 or 7. But overall the company wins.

3 Likes

Yes, but in a couple of years that raise will not match the inflation rate of Disney. :thinking:

1 Like

Well… keep working hard and make yourself invaluable. Then you can ask for another raise. :smiley:

2 Likes

Sad but true![quote=“darkmite2, post:18, topic:62917”]
Well… keep working hard and make yourself invaluable. Then you can ask for another raise. :smiley:
[/quote]

Now that is just crazy talk.

1 Like

it also doesn’t seem possible anymore, either. My company has easily let go plenty of “invaluable” people and have just rolled with the consequences.

Which makes me have zero loyalty to this company and I’ll just enjoy my work while I can.

1 Like