I'm starting to wonder if I'll have to pack our masks if we want a vacation in 2020

I’ve had the same feeling about my May 2021 trip. It is still a long way off and a lot can change. My biggest concern is masks in the heat, as I don’t do well with it. Indoors I can now tolerate, taking a break once in a while. I’m kind of hoping there are more options for masks for the heat by then if we are still dealing with that situation, especially for those with asthma, skin issues,etc. As far as the other events, I think they will slowly be reintroduced, more so in 2021.

1 Like

I’m hoping the same. Continued limited capacity should hopefully allow for enough social distancing outdoors to not require masks. Other than parades and fireworks or anything else that draws a big crowd, of course.

I bought us Universal AP’s with the 3 month extra bonus. So I’m kinda feeling like our November trip will be worth it even if we have masks, since we’ll get another trip (or two) in sometime during 2021 before our AP expires. Universal tends to be a much cheaper vacation than Disney World though. I don’t know if I’d be up for spending the $ at WDW while wearing masks. Although last night I was watching Disney Food Blog videos on Youtube and feeling very nostalgic…

My sister has a big nose. Most masks make her feel VERY claustrophobic.

I started seeing masks with pleats across the nose. I made her three masks for a trip to Austin last week to see her daughter. Two had pleats; one did not.

At the airport she started with the unpleated one (it’s actually the prettiest). After TSA she switched to one of the pleated masks. Never went back to the unpleated and didn’t complain as she usually does.

Then just over the weekend I saw a tutorial on FB for a mask with pleats at nose and chin.

1 Like

I’ve been planning our trip for months. It will be my 40th birthday. I just don’t know what else I would want to do for my birthday. Right now it’s a 12 or 13 night trip. If things aren’t closer to “normal” I may look at shortening it. But I still think we would go. Though the only thing I’ve known for sure I want to do on my birthday is the after fireworks dessert party at MK. If there are no fireworks I will be very disappointed. Ugh.

We do plan to go back in September/October 2021 to celebrate ours and Disney’s anniversaries. But that is meant to be a shorter trip as my husband’s schedule will likely not allow for many more vacation days. He’s been furloughed for about a month now and doesn’t think he will be called back anytime soon. So he will probably be finding a new job in the next couple of months, thus have limited vacation. Sigh.

Aw man, I think if I had a big milestone bday trip planned, I would probably take it. It would be more fun to be at WDW wearing masks, than sitting at home on my bday knowing I should be at Disney. I hope you can take your trip and that you get to do everything you want to do! Or at least most of it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Interesting, what do these nose pleat masks look like? Do you have any photos of the ones you made?

Thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::partying_face:

1 Like

Yes. If we’re not in shelter at home as we were for DH’s birthday, yes. Disney’s it.

Hope you can find a special Disney something for your birthday.

1 Like

I don’t! smh. I take photos of everything! smh

I’ll see what I can do.

how could I not have photos . . .

1 Like

Thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I haven’t made these yet.

Now I can’t find the mask I saw on FB over the weekend. It was way simpler to make than these two. But similar in the finished product.

It’s being called the new style. Life DIY was the name on the tutorial.

If searching for silk scarf masks you might see what my sister’s kind of looks like. Hers has 3 layers over her mouth and nose, tho 2 of the layers are not seen. Her mask has pleats across her nose. Ear bands over her ears. And a button fastener in the back.

2 Likes

https://www.google.com/search?q=missouri+star+quilt+company+mask+with+ties&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS728US728&oq=missouri+sta+quilt+company+mask&aqs=chrome.4.69i57j0l7.17532j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_23IDX_SPF8GntQb6uL4I39

1 Like

Those look comfy! I just ordered us some mask extenders/ear savers over the weekend. Also ordered some infant elastic headbands that @ryan1 recommended to replace ear loops. Looking forward to trying them!

I made a bunch of them for our family. Went together easily. Jenny is a good teacher ;). I did use flannel on the inside, as she recommended, and the softness next to your skin is very nice.

1 Like

I can’t even imagine trying to breathe through flannel! Is it easier than it sounds? I suppose there are different thicknesses of flannel…

The inside of the mask I saw on fb over the wknd was a scarf material.

Scarf material is cooler than cotton.

1 Like

Well… yes, it’s fine. We’ve been using them for over a month. I know they are warm but initially when discussions started around making masks and best materials to use quilting fabric came in at best to minimize dispersment of breath. It was just on the evening world news again. Since I’m a quilter I grabbed my stash and got to it. I love the pleated one best since they aren’t as tight on my face. I made some others that are shaped for my picky gentlemen in the house and they prefer those. I used woven quilt fabric on outside and flannel on inside for all.

3 Likes

I love the science one!

1 Like

Thanks! those are my DH’s favs… I have all different colors and patterns w/ STEM fabric for him

2 Likes