I'm starting to wonder if I'll have to pack our masks if we want a vacation in 2020

With the sharp rise in cases, it seems like things might not improve quickly enough to drop mask requirements at Disney and Universal this year. But we REALLY want to take our trip.
I’m starting to wonder how bad it would be to wear a mask during vacation all day. Our current plan is to visit UOR in November, which would be much cooler. I still have a hard time imagining we could have a relaxing vacation with masks though. But if the only way to have a vacation is to bring our masks, I’m starting to consider it.
What about you guys? Have any of you thought of this as well?
I’d also love to hear from people who have done Disney or UOR with masks, and how it felt.

Let me see if this link will work

7 Likes

That’s promising to hear!

What is important I think is experimenting with masks until you find what one is most comfortable for you. Assume you will be wearing a mask in hot weather. Knowing that, take the time to try several types until you are happy (or at least happiest) with one.

3 Likes

I just saw your post in the other Thread, about the infant headbands your wife has made into ear loops. I am seriously considering buying some.

I can say from experience that they are far more comfortable than actual elastic ear loops! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think the cloth masks work better for me. They’re heavier, but don’t seem to retain as much moisture as the paper masks.

5 Likes

I haven’t tried paper yet, but imagine they would feel weird on my skin. Thank you for the tip!

1 Like

I expect mask wearing to be around and required on Disney property for the foreseeable future

8 Likes

Yup, I can’t even try to predict when they might start relaxing that requirement.

2 Likes

With so many states implementing mask mandates, my perspective is that basically to go anywhere a mask is necessary. I know that I’m on board going if masks are still required as long as Disney has figured out how to give guests a positive, healthy, and safe experience, I’m okay with the masks being part of that.

7 Likes

I think you have a good mindset about it. I just have a hard time guessing if I will be able to “relax” wearing a mask all the time. We already had our big awesome Disney trip in January. This UOR trip is supposed to be our no planning/relaxation trip. There’s still plenty of time til November though… I can wait for more people to experience the parks in masks and give feedback.

I find my ears easily irritated by the loops so I’ve opted for wearing a bandanna around nose and mouth. But I heard on CNN yesterday that they’re not the safest option.

Yeah, a bandana isn’t going to contain a cough/sneeze as well as a mask or gaiter. But it’s better than nothing!

2 Likes

I have spent a lot of money trying to find the right masks, because I have found I am pretty picky about what is touching my face. I figured it was worth the investment because I am going to need them for awhile and my DD will have to have them for school.

There was a study that said chiffon was a great fabric to use because its electrostatic properties filtered out particles better than almost anything. I found some chiffon masks I LOVE and could wear all day. But then I read a post somewhere that the study used a weird kind of chiffon that was not “standard” chiffon. I don’t even know what that means! I know they will check the box for Disney, but am I protecting myself and others? Is too comfortable a bad thing. We need more mask efficacy studies! Because let’s be frank, the more comfortable, the more likely people will wear them.

2 Likes

I use an ear saver at work when I need to wear a mask for an extended period. I find the over the ear positioning the best. I use a neck gaiter as well because of ear discomfort.

3 Likes

I don’t say this to be offense but rather point out a fact. Would you be willing to wear a mask or a ventilator? You might get by but what about the people you know. This is a new world and the virus doesn’t discriminate. It’s here folks and really here in FL. Please deal with the inconvenance and wear a mask even if it is uncomfortable. Stay alive and keep your friends alive. Thanks. Think of it as becoming a masketteer

5 Likes

I always wear a mask. Previously I was going to wait to vacation until masks weren’t required because I don’t find wearing a mask to be relaxing.

Edited the title to hopefully clarify

I was pretty negative on masks at the start. Didn’t believe in them (still not sure I do), and said it was a deal breaker for me. Well… Things change and smart people find a way to be flexible and open minded. I trying to do both. So I am starting to wear them in more populated public areas. Still considering out July trip as well and we will have masks in tow if we go. Finding it is not too bad once you set your mind to it. I have come to the realization that the push for masks is not going away. Within a month, I think it will be common place in cities and states. Going to have to get used to this for a while. Going to be part of our wardrobes.

10 Likes

One doesn’t have to wear a mask all the time. If you can do the social distancing thing like walking down a path with few people on it and passing those who are at a distance then a mask is really not required. On the other hand if you are in a group or near many others on a path or town then a mask is a must. I will not harp on this for everyone has a right to do as they wish as long as they understand the risks to themselves and others.

2 Likes