I'm starting to wonder if I'll have to pack our masks if we want a vacation in 2020

Well said!

Curious if there is an official word from Disney on this. Our mandate specified that masks are only necessary if you are within 6 feet of people not in your family group. So, for example, when I’m on my little staycation this weekend at a local hotel, I won’t have to wear a mask at the pool as long as it’s just me and my husband with 6 ft between us and the next party of guests. Does Disney’s rule allow for the same? Will it be possible for families to stake out a little spot to the side for a little breather?

Not sure how I feel about it either way - this weekend will be my first time in a public place for leisure (I’ve been out for shopping etc but not just for enjoyment) so curious what my level of comfort will be - just wondering about the official word from Disney.

1 Like

Post vaccine or effective treatment. I forsee masks at Disney for the rent of 2020.

3 Likes

Good point. A vaccine might be the earliest they will drop the masks requirement.
I was out yesterday doing errands in a mask. The one I have is a double layer cotton one a friend made. It’s comfortable in the short term but after a few hours I started to feel close to heat stroke. It has been humid and around 90 here lately. Feels similar to FL, although not as humid. I look forward to trying out some different masks to see if I can find a better option. I think some should arrive today in the mail.

1 Like

I wasn’t sure about masks for about a week after they were required, since we were previously told they were ineffective. But now we wear them everywhere. I had my car looked at yesterday morning… I was one of the few wearing mine in a busy waiting area. Very frustrating. The doors even tell people to wear masks as they walk in. It sucks that the government gave such mixed messages on masks… its hard for people to trust anything they advise now.

1 Like

What I think of as chiffon must be the “standard” chiffon. Because I cannot imagine it being comfortable or particularly breathable. In my mind, mask made of sports clothing material would be better. Or really anything other than 70s type polyester.

The only places you can have your mask off THROUGHOUT PROPERTY is:
-when dining
-when at the pools
-when in your hotel room/villa
-when in the confines of one of the relaxation stations

9 Likes

Shouldn’t we be asking as to if we want to chance the virus rather than what Disney’s rules are?

3 Likes

The question is, do we go when masks are required and take a chance in that taking away from an expensive vacation, or do we just wait to vacation until masks are no longer necessary because Covid is no longer a threat.

While at the beginning of the pandemic I underestimated how long this pandemic would last, it seems clear to me now that we will be threatened by Covid for at least the remainder of 2020. So I am trying to decide if I want to spend the money on a vacation during a time when I wear a mask, or do we postpone the trip basically indefinitely at this point.

I don’t think anyone here is trying to go around Disney/Universal rules. Most of us seem pro-mask for the most part.

4 Likes

We’re going on a test run to a nearby indoor and outdoor waterpark/hotel. It’s got a few restaurants and I think it requires masks be worn if you are not eating or swimming. My family will be required to wear the masks if they aren’t actively eating or swimming. If it takes too much away from the experience DH and I won’t go on our couples trip in May. (I’m assuming masks will be required until a vaccine is created and distributed.)

Maybe you should try the same, take a long weekend in a semi-controlled environment and see if it makes it feel like more of a hassle than fun.

1 Like

That’s an interesting idea, to do a test run. Unfortunately I’m not really sure of a place nearby that could suffice as a cheap test site, but I’ll have to think about it and see if I can come up with an idea. DH just started a warehouse job last week where he has to wear a mask for his entire shift, which could be up to 12 hour days. I will certainly be asking for his feedback.

ETA @OBNurseNH ‘s question, my apologies

Len never came back to answer your question, but I definitely wonder about the climate acclimation thing. It’s hard to believe a mask all day in 98 degrees would be NBD for someone who spends their year in the north.

2 Likes

So I’m from PA and this week it is in the 90s and high humidity, a heat wave for us. Today it felt like 100 degrees in the sun. I was out yesterday morning picking blueberries. The sun was not yet at its peak. We did not have to wear a mask to pick as it is a large blueberry field and everyone can spread out. I was doing ok without the mask and lots of water, but when I put the mask on to pay, I couldn’t stand it. It was way too hot and I was too sweaty for it to work. I’ve worn a mask in air conditioning for over an hour and I did just fine. I think I could do air conditioning for even longer periods with some breaks here and there, which wouldn’t have been the case a month or 2 ago. So, that pretty much told me that Disney in that kind of heat would never work for me.

So yes, I can see northerners having more difficulty in the Florida heat with a mask.

3 Likes

I am in MA. On June 6th I spent the day outside in the full sun with a mask on it was 91. The only time I was not in full sun was when I went into a bathroom. I wore a mask from 8am-3pm. It was an event for our graduating seniors.

I wore my big “cruising hat” all day and I did not get the same sunburn lines others did.

It was hot. I have asthma and a minor heart condition. I did have to sit down a few times (heat makes my heart condition flare up- regardless of the mask). What bothered me the most? My ears- make sure your mask won’t hurt them!

7 Likes

What is this relaxation station you speak of?

1 Like

Going (at least paid and reserved for) January/February 2021, and we’re planning on packing masks. Why? Because they’ll likely still be required…

The US is still in its first wave, and the second wave is supposed to hit in the fall (flu season). Coronavirus 2nd Wave? Nope, The U.S. Is Still Stuck In The 1st One : Shots - Health News : NPR & https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-care/public-health/harvard-epidemiologist-beware-covid-19-s-second-wave-fall

2 Likes

:nauseated_face::face_with_head_bandage::mask::face_with_thermometer::cry:

1 Like

They might be called “Relaxation Areas or Zones" set to open in the parks. These are designated spaces where guests can take off their masks to relax for a moment. Kinda like what UOR currently has in their parks.

2 Likes

That is my thought as well, which is why I no longer think I want to wait. We have decided to go to UOR in November whether masks are required or not. Assuming the parks are still open.

My stay isn’t until late April 2021 and I’m slowly losing hope that masks will be a thing of the past by then. The more I think about it though, I don’t think the masks will be a dealbreaker as much as if they haven’t brought back shows, parades, and fireworks. I think if I can still get the full experience I may be ok with a mask. But obviously I’d prefer to not have to deal with them. Ask me again in February though!

3 Likes