If Not WDW or Universal then Where?

Question for the community. Where is your favorite vaca location when not doing WDW or Universal.
We are doing a Kings Dominion, Busch Gardens road trip this summer but I am not hopeful of the same magical feeling.

Thoughts?

Ocean Isle Beach, NC.

Or a cruise. Preferably Disney, but I can tolerate Royal Caribbean’s more midsize ships too.

2 Likes

Hawaii, any of the islands.

2 Likes

We’re contemplating Grand Canyon for next year.

1 Like

I’m a Holden Beach girl myself!

DH and I love to travel to new cities when not at WDW. We’ve done San Francisco, New York, San Antonio, Paris, and Playa del Carmen (Mexico). PdC was the most relaxing because it was an all inclusive resort. We don’t do tour groups or anything, I plan everything myself.

2 Likes

Love that area of the North Carolina coast!! :smiley:

I agree - I love traveling and exploring new places!!

1 Like

If you like the outdoors and small towns, there are hundreds of miles of coastline along the Great Lakes that much of the country seems to forget about. Wineries, breweries, huge sand dunes, late sunsets, and no scary creatures lurking in the water. Granted, the surfers here find the best waves in January and February (seriously, someone was out on Lake Michigan the other day and our beaches are covered with ice), but the beaches are really nice in the summer.

Another vote, though, for North Carolina or the Smoky Mountains. I love Scotland and New Zealand, too. So much world to explore!

I’m not a photographer, but someone caught the surfers:

Disney people seem to like busy vacations with lots of activities. I am one of those. We loved OBX when we had babies, but that’s super laid back for us now. Other ideas are Sandals/beaches resorts, or Atlantis. Also, we love long weekends at family resorts. We are lucky to have homestead, green brier and nemacolin all within a 3hr drive.

Last Year, we did Highway 01 from SF to LA, and we spent the last two nights at Disney! Heeey! Great place and Disney too…

We do a short beach trip in the summer. Typically long weekend. We’re about 3 hours from the beach.

Summer 2019 we’re thinking we will go to Niagara Falls. DD has not yet been.

We are going to Jamaica in a few weeks. And we love Puerto Rico.

1 Like

We love taking a laid back vacation on Hilton Head Island, SC. We have never been to the Disney resort there, but rent a condo instead for a lot less money.

Ditto! Our family has had so much fun over the years, gradually exploring most of the Hawaiian islands.

1 Like

Just an fyi - it’s Highway 1, not the other…:slightly_smiling_face:

Williamsburg is one of my favorite places. The Busch Gardens there is hands down my favorite non-Disney theme park, and I also love the history in Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown.

San Diego also has a LOT to offer. Beach, mountains, and desserts all within an hour’s drive. Excellent museums in Balboa Park. Sea World. And of course the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park - arguably one of the best in the country - if not the world. If that’s not enough, Legoland is about an hour north, and DLR is less than 2 hours. Temecula, with its dozen or so wineries, is just under an hour north of downtown

Chattanooga, TN has lots for kids.
We had an incredible vacation this past summer in the Rocky Mountains. Got a VRBO and did tons of hiking. So beautiful!

1 Like

Used to be Sint Maarten in the caribbean

It got decimated by the hurricane though and will take a while yet to bounce back

2 Likes

We have been to Oahu (2x), the Big Island (2x) and just went to Maui for the first time over New Years. We love Hawaii! I want to go to Kauai next.

I did two weeks around the Grand Canyon. Flew PHL to Vegas, rented a car, drove to Grand Canyon staying in the park. Flagstaff, four corners, Cortez, Co, Moab UT, Torry UT and Zion then back to Vegas to fly home. Flights were easiest and best price to Vegas.

Us Route 1 runs from Maine to Florida.

We like renting a house on the beach with friends where our only activities are swimming, building sandcastles, and board games. We also like Centre Parcs or other Holiday Parks where there is lots to do. I do think the age of your children is a big factor.