If Not WDW or Universal then Where?

Probably referring to CA 1, which runs down the coast of CA…

1 Like

Yes, but just to confuse things, the highway along the coast of California (“from SF to LA”) is also Highway 1. It’s a spectacular drive, even just a part of it. Is the East Coast Route 1 also really pretty?

1 Like

we love the beach but the crowds are less tolerable to me than at Disney(I have no idea why) so we have switched to cruises and use the beaches there along with Branson and staycation in St Louis

Hah! Great minds think alike. I’m reading Kauai Revealed right now! :grin:

1 Like

I can only speak to the portions of the route in New York and New England.

“Interesting”, kind of, yes. Of the parts of it I’ve driven “pretty” - no. It’s also known as “The Old Post Road” or “Boston Post Road” and it was built to link many towns together for - you guessed it - postal delivery, before the interstate was built (I-95 parallels it in a number of locations). Parts are “historic”, parts are kind of kitschy fun, and parts are pretty boring. Because it’s all towns and stop lights, and most of it is 4 lanes (at best), it’s a very slow way to go from Boston to New York.

Im from the UK, so disney is only a once in a while trip. We like to go to less touristy places in Europe. Last summer we went to the very North of Spain, walking in the mountains, then a week on the West coast, in Galicia, miles of beautiful sand with no people, then a week travelling eastwards through old cities. Stunning 16 days with 3 kids saying best holiday ever. hope florida lives up to it this year

3 Likes

Part of it run through old shore towns. It is a US Route and interstate 95 was built more or less parallel to it. I took Amtrak from Philadelphia to Boston and we passed along the shoreline and the sun was coming up over the sailboats in the harbor in several areas.

1 Like

Thanks so much for all of this info. I’m already planning my retirement activities and I’m still a few years out :grin:. One near the top of my list is to really spend time along the East coast, just exploring and hopefully timing it with some fall color drives, as well…so thank you!

1 Like

Thanks! I will definitely be driving this at some point in a few years.

1 Like

In the more out-of-the-way places you went to in Spain, how necessary was fluent Spanish? How about mediocre-at-best Spanish?

1 Like

Should have also mentioned that my list has WDW at the very top! I’m already planning that one, for sure!

1 Like

No problem, in northern Spain they often speak local dialects such as Basque or Galician, so Basic Spanish is fine, I speak virtually none, hubby and my eldest both speak a little. They appreciate aanybeffort but most people speak some English

2 Likes

I think we are doing Busch Gardens Williamsburg, with Jamestown and colonial WIlliamsburg this summer. Maybe a one day at kings Dominion as my girls love thrill rides.
A few questions
Any recommendations on where to stay in Williamsburg? Kings Mill looks nice just not sure if it’s worth the extra price.
Also how many nights do you recommend. Leaning towards 3 but can do more or less.

Thanks for the help
D

Thanks for the help everyone. A lot of ideas for a few summers off from WDW. A lot to kick around. :slight_smile:

WIlliamsburg is one of my favorite places to visit. Busch Gardens is definitely a full day park. Here’s a link to a two-part photoblog from my last visit a few years ago.

How much time you spend at Colonial Williamsburg kind depends on what level of touring you want to do. You can “walk the grounds” in an hour or so, but if you want to do the various house/building tours (ABSOLUTELY recommended), participate in any of the interactive activities, etc. then it will be another full day.

King’s Dominion is a nice theme park. It has a number of coasters including the Intimidator 316, a 300+ tall coaster with an 85 degree first hill that reaches speeds of up to 90 mph - it’s a definite rush. There are various other rides and shows and some nice landscaping. Another definite full-day park (with a 70 mile drive each way).

I have not been to Jamestown in many years, and I know that have been adding to it. I’ve heard others say that Jamestown and Yorktown, together, make a solid day of American History. Also in the area is a plantation that is an extension of Colonial Williamsburg. I’ve not been yet, but it might also be something to pair with Jamestown for a full day.

I can’t help much with lodging; virtually all of my trips were day trips out of Norfolk. The one time I did spend the night it was at www.thegeorgewashingtoninn.com/ It was nice enough and very reasonable (I found it on Hotels.com).

2 Likes

Gatlinburg, Tn has a surprisingly ton of family activities and you can rent an entire cabin in the mountains for the price of a moderate resort room. Kids eat free at Atlantis until they’re 7 in the Bahamas

1 Like