"If consumer demand keeps up, we’ll act accordingly"

That is what I did yesterday - I booked an after 2 pm G+ at a new park before 2 pm when the return time was after 2 pm.

I didn’t realize until this discussion that I could have booked a G+ in another park when the return times shown were before 2.

I read some highlights on Twitter of the call. The whole “oh park reservations are great!” part was really painful to think about as I watched a family in front of us today get turned away from HS during early hours because their reservation was MK. They were told to go to the bus area to find a bus to MK.

5 Likes

I recently learned that portions (varies by contract) of all those add on fees go back to the performer/artist/whoever books the venue.

It’s a sneaky way for artists to claim they offer cheap tickets for their concerts/plays/whatever, while still getting closer to the higher price the market will bear.

Ticketmaster (or whoever) takes the complaints and public image hit, but it’s not entirely them!

6 Likes

This right here would be the only positive spin I could see on this change.

5 Likes

Unfortunately it is a matter of perspective. It is great for the company (and thus shareholders) as they can better schedule CMs to meet demands based on “knowing” how many guests should be walking through the gates each day and at precisely which park. It is awful for the guest of course as it is extra planning, less flexibility etc.

On one of the Disney Dish Podcasts, Len mentioned that at Amex the call center attempted to schedule within about 2% of expected call demand for any given day. He noted Disney scheduling of CMs was more like +/-20% (hopefully I remembered that value correctly) pre-park reservations - so having the park reservations to get them into a narrow band was huge for management. And it’s probably why they won’t be going away despite all the guests hating them…

4 Likes

No. It’s so much more $.

This is why I already booked my trip for June 2023. I figured there’d be a price increase.

And when the cost of things that you were already charging increases exponentially, so does your bottom line.

I am offended that they are touting themselves as heroes for this revenue increase. Anyone who’s been around more than a year or two knows it’s largely because of these factors.

10 Likes

Agreed. Chapek gives off such self-righteous vibes when talking about revenue increases, it makes his already punchable face, even more punchable.

13 Likes

“about 50% buy . . . Genie”?

Do we credit that statement that 1 in 2 guests thru the gate know about and have bought Genie+? Or is the qualifier “about” providing a substantial margin.

These Genie+ differences are course corrections rather than providing substantial changes in touring habits.

Compare to the summer of 2019 when SWGE’s opening at WDW was announced. Early Entry mornings changed considerably - from an hour at one or two parks, changing daily, to an hour at AK & MK every morning with 2 hours at HS every morning. Off site guests had one park to rope drop, compared to up to three, previously. @ryan1 , what does that do for your basic standby guest’s chances of a ride with a short wait.

After dealing with that snafu, I’ve pretty much decided to do Disney my way. Hopefully including park hoppers . . .

Wait…I’m confused…Can we no longer stack at all?

1 Like

Agreed. I am going to hold on to this bitterness. I expect in a few weeks there will be a lot of announcements regarding new attractions in order to try to defend Epic Universe.

One big difference with their upcoming announcements (maybe WDWNT is right and some of it will be the return of Fantasmic or long rumored attractions such as Wreck It Ralph) but we could play the “New D23 Game” called “List the attractions new events announced in the past that were wiped clean from any Disney websites later”. I will start:

-Mary Poppins Attraction
-MK Theatre
-Epcot Festival Center

9 Likes

No this doesn’t impact the ability to stack, just impacts how quickly you can book medium- to low-demand attractions at the park you’re hopping to. If you stack headliners as your first 2-3 options, you should be fine.

8 Likes

I vaguely remember them saying at last D23 that this was still on the books.

Like I can feel my blood pressure rising every time I see that

So I’m going to

Well until

DH said flat out today that he’s already done done.

I reminded him that we have 2 months of DVC deposit points we rented from DVC store we still need to use by 2024. To which it was thrown out there that we’d rather eat the deposits than give Cheapek another reason to gloat.

That’s pretty extreme, but Chapek is not a popular person in this household.

7 Likes

“Greedy bald man creates own park demand then raises prices to pad his wallet”

There I fixed it

9 Likes

We originally had 4 day no hoppers. Then I got nervous that the weather might interfere and cause us to miss something at a park, leaving us with the options of either skipping a park to revisit one or just missing out on whatever we didn’t get to. We added the park hoppers to alleviate my stress about that. It was only then that I started looking at how we might use G+ along with it. So I was backwards from you. :joy:

3 Likes

No. No. No.

That is wholly unacceptable. People need to say no.

It’s like resort fees. If Disney brings in resort fees, I will never stay on property again.

2 Likes

Ugh. Am I ever going to get to go back to WDW? Hopefully someday.

1 Like

It’s important to remember, as a ticket buyer, you are not Ticketmaster’s customer. TM’s customers are artists and venues (they’re the ones with a choice in the matter), and it does a pretty good job serving them.

3 Likes

Stay at a DVC resort, but use it as a home base for going to UOR or SeaWorld, etc.

6 Likes

After balancing our check book yesterday, I said to the wife, “I read the cost. We have no plans right now in terms of going back to WDE, as I do watch the pocket book like a hawk. It’s all up the Disney. If prices keep going up, we’ll act accordingly. Maybe postpone forever. If we see a softening of prices, which I don’t think we’ll see from Disney, then we can act accordingly as well.”

Wife wasn’t amused. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Responded by informing me then that I had to take her out to dinner.

12 Likes