"If consumer demand keeps up, we’ll act accordingly"

I think most of the people who would stack in the first place are still going to look for LLs for the e-ticket rides no matter what, and when they realize they may not get them until later in the day then they will just plan to stay in that park, at least until after they use those LLs.

3 Likes

Of course, we shouldn’t discount the possibility that Disney IT just screwed up.

5 Likes

Maybe. I’m not convinced that G+ rules are dictating park-hopping behavior all that much. Rather, park-hopping plans dictates how they use G+. I could be wrong.

Adding the ability to choose your times would be great, but we do know that they’ve used misleading wording like that and never followed up with a change in the past.

3 Likes

I kind of lean that way…I’m not sure that verbiage was meant to signal that you could “choose” anything different for that ride. I think it is actually meant to mean to choose another time FROM ANOTHER ATTRACTION, but they didn’t include that last part in the text.

It is Disney IT. You assume they intended to add the code like a rational IT department. Given it is Disney IT, it’s 50-50 that it was an accident…

6 Likes

The BlogMickey screenshots make this interpretation a big stretch.

I don’t think so. It was my immediate interpretation, actually. I didn’t think it was meaning to suggest choosing another time from the same attraction at all.

1 Like

I personally wasn’t planning on getting hoppers for my trip next month, until I compared stacked plans with non-stacked plans with the newly updated CLs and realized I could do 4 park days with hopping, instead of the 5 non-hopping days I was planning. Even then I was still only planning on hopping 2 days (HS and AK both days, so each gets a morning and an evening but on different days)… now I think I’ll be starting at HS both days and only be hopping one day. Without stacking I would have just kept the 5 days no hopper.

1 Like

You’re still on the Expedition Everest page, and it says “Select a new time …” — seems clearly to imply for the same attraction.

1 Like

Saw on Twitter excerpts from Chapek’s quotes from the earnings call. Most shocking to me is that ~50% of customers are paying for Genie+. That’s a stunning number to me: “Even our Genie product, which we released short of a year ago, now about 50% of the people who come through the gate, buy up to that Genie product…which you can see in the results of our yields.”

50%? Poor standby folks…

8 Likes

Is it even worth getting a Park Hopper if you’re only using it one day?

2 Likes

Pre-pandemic- when you start charging for things that were once free revenue increases.

7 Likes

I understand your point…but that is an anecdotal data point.

Historically (and still today) you generally “have to” (okay…you can add later, but not generally done) decide when you buy your tickets if you plan to park hop. That was true before G+ and after, and in FP+ days, etc.

G+ briefly allowed you to decide ahead of time, but it seemed most people were choosing to wait and see. Then Disney MADE You wait and see. Which means a decision to park hop is make outside of a decision to buy and use G+ as a general rule. For those who are REALLY in the know about G+ (which, liners are more likely to fall into such categories, but the general Disney-goer isn’t) might use G+ rules to help them decide whether to buy Park Hoppers or not, or how they hop…but I think that’s the exception, not the rule.

1 Like

I was just going to say…
That 40% increase in revenue seems feasible with 50% Genie adoption and ILLs alone.

8 Likes

I’d be interested to see those numbers by park. If AK and EP are low because its a general strategy that it’s not worth it for those parks 1. How high are MK and HS to bring the average to 50% and 2. what will they do to incentivize people to buy at AK and EP?

6 Likes

That’s the only place you CAN put such a message. You select a ride and time. When you got to the ride page, it tells you to pick a different time. I think that, ideally, Disney would have stopped you from going to that screen to begin with…but that’s not as easily checked ahead of time…it is easier to implement such a transactional behavior at the moment you select the ride/time itself.

I just feel the problem is that Disney meant it one way, but could be read another. Enough people complain, I wouldn’t be surprised if they eventually update the verbiage to be more clear to what they intended.

1 Like

I do wonder if the average consumer realizes that AK and EP are questionable Genie+ purchases though? But if those numbers are significantly lower that implies HS & MK are both through the roof…

3 Likes

Exactly, but I already bought it so now I’m stuck with it. When I was going to use it 2 days it made sense, because it kept me from needing to visit a park on MNSSHP day so I could drop the 5th park day… 4 day hopper vs 5 day base ticket was less than $100 more, and we’d get a full pool day before the party.

EDIT: who would have ever thought that waiting until 33 days out to buy tickets wasn’t long enough? :rofl:

5 Likes

Disney isn’t the only company killing us with upfees. See how two $40 show tickets add up to $135:

4 Likes